Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Rebuild  (Read 1665 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Rebuild
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:04:34 am »

Rebuild
Type: Action
Cost: $5
+4 Cards. Discard 4 cards. Trash this card. Do this up to 4 times: Trash a card from your hand then gain a differently named card with the same cost as the trashed card.

So, the idea here is obviously a one-shot mass trash-for-benefit card. The +4/–4 cards is sifts cards into your hand that you want to trash. This could be used in a Curse-heavy game to transform up to 4 Curses into Coppers (and dead Curse-givers into more useful cards). It could be used late game to transform $5 cards into Duchies.

I'm wondering if it might be practical for mid-game deck transformation. For instance, you open with a bunch of Silvers. Then you buy the more expensive components for your engine ($5 drawing cards and Gold), then you use one of these to trash several Silvers for $3 Villages. Maybe that's impractical.

Anyhow, thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:17:36 am by LastFootnote »

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:45 am »

1. Very strong with "overpriced cards" - Boarder Village, IGG and especialy Peddler.

2. Allmost only usefull to trash 5s to Duchies at the end (and 1.)

3. Too luck dependent to my taste. You have 6 Peddlers, draw just 2, your opponent has 4 Peddlers, draw all of them. Yay!

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:43 am »
+1

Rebuild is also a defense against cards like Swindler which change cards into ones you likely don't want at the same cost.

One way to decrease the luck factor (i.e. drawing cards you want to rebuild vs. those you don't) is to let you decide whether to "pull the trigger" on the one-shot ability after the sifting ability kicks in. Something like this:

Rebuild
Type: Action
Cost: $5
+4 Cards. Discard 4 cards. Do this up to 4 times: Trash a card from your hand then gain a differently named card with the same cost as the trashed card. If you did that at least once, trash this card, otherwise place this card at the bottom of your deck.

The part about putting it at the bottom of the deck is to speed up your second chance at pulling the trigger. Not sure if it is necessary or not.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:10:00 am »

It's a good idea, one I've used a very similar card to in some games with a friend (I have a card called Redesign in my Wedding fan expansion). It's slightly different (you discard your deck then may trash up to two cards from your discard), but has a similar overall effect. We've found it's very nice at various points, especially for transitioning you deck from one state (e.g. building up to get some nice expensive cards) into another (e.g. turning some of those cards into engine components).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.537 seconds with 22 queries.