Dominion > Dominion Articles

Dominion 101: What is an engine?

<< < (2/15) > >>

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Kirian on October 12, 2017, 01:48:44 am ---I'm going to disagree with the idea that an engine "typically" draws your entire deck each turn.  Often, perhaps.  But I don't think it's even 50% of engines.

--- End quote ---

It's way above 80% of engines and the remaining decks all have Goons, Fortune or cost reduction in them.

O:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on October 12, 2017, 04:31:21 am ---
--- Quote from: Kirian on October 12, 2017, 01:48:44 am ---I'm going to disagree with the idea that an engine "typically" draws your entire deck each turn.  Often, perhaps.  But I don't think it's even 50% of engines.

--- End quote ---

It's way above 80% of engines and the remaining decks all have Goons, Fortune or cost reduction in them.

--- End quote ---

Is this differing play styles or differing definitions of engines? What percentage of total games would you guys say you end up drawing your deck each turn?

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: O on October 12, 2017, 05:38:09 am ---
--- Quote from: Awaclus on October 12, 2017, 04:31:21 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Is this differing play styles or differing definitions of engines? What percentage of total games would you guys say you end up drawing your deck each turn?

--- End quote ---

More than 50℅ of all games.

Chris is me:
This is pretty great for a basic article, and I think a lot of these comments could make it into a follow up article about the concepts of other kinds of engines. I think it’s important to start with this as your base so that you can branch out to sketchier low draw engines later, rather than starting at Big Money and adding Good Stuff.

But maybe change Draw to cycling, and point out that draw is far more effective cycling than not-draw? We’ve all seen magic Forum engines before, and using cycling instead of draw as a term accommodates those cantrip based engines we all love (since the payload also cycles you need less draw).

DG:
An engine is a group of cards that do more together than they do individually.

Let's wait to define it further until after Nocturne is released.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version