Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Is there any update on Nocturne?  (Read 47147 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any update on Nocturne?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 10:24:50 am »
+5

As I have said elsewhere, the release date is hinging on the plastic trays arriving by boat.
Wild speculation: this suggests the plastic tray is somehow different from that used by other Dominion sets/expansions?
It's the Dark Ages tray. There is incentive not to make new ones.

Ooh so there's a 20 card pile to go in the Rats slot

Either that, or there was some incentive not to make a new tray. Hard to know if that's the case though.

Oh, I know this one. It actually is the case because DXV said so just above there.

There is also possibly a reason to use the Dark Ages one specifically. It is also possible that this was a less-than-100%-serious prediction made for fun.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 10:39:57 am »
+5

Mega-confirmed. Apparently there's some enormous incentive not to make new types of trays.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 12:32:22 pm »
+18

When designing an expansion, Donald X. probably starts with selecting a tray and then finds good cards that fit it.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 01:03:24 pm »
+1

Hmmm... what if "night cards" are just piles of cards that have gone back to the tray to sleep, and Nocturne needs the Dark Ages insert in case you send Rats to bed?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »

Mega-confirmed. Apparently there's some enormous incentive not to make new types of trays.

Recycling Center - Victory -

Worth 1 for each set that can use the same tray.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »
+2

This is literally how the Germans translated Salvager.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 02:24:48 pm »
+6

They translated Salvager as a weird Victory card?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 11:29:06 pm »
+1

That's actually what I thought wero meant at first.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 10:18:59 am »

That's actually what I thought wero meant at first.

It's not true either way.

7string

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 7string
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 12:11:42 pm »
+1

As I have said elsewhere, the release date is hinging on the plastic trays arriving by boat.
Wild speculation: this suggests the plastic tray is somehow different from that used by other Dominion sets/expansions?
It's the Dark Ages tray. There is incentive not to make new ones.
I love this game, and own all expansions, as well as gold subscription online, but the trays for recent sets have been my biggest complaint.  I really hope the Nocturne tray is as well made and sturdy as the Dark Ages tray, since that was the last good tray before the production quality of trays deteriorated.  Adventures, Empires, and Dominion Base 2nd Edition have all come with flimsy plastic trays that are just a little smaller than the original sturdier trays, and more importantly had card slots that were 1-2mm less wide than the original tray slots, and taper slightly at the bottom of the slot.  I sleeve every card with Euro premium sleeves, and the new flimsy tray card slot widths bend the sleeves and makes it hard to fit the cards back in without creating a permanent bend in the sleeve and card.  I gave the 1st edition base game away to family, but kept the old tray for myself for the 2nd edition box.  I wish Rio Grande would take sleeving sizes into consideration when the specs for the plastic trays are designed - there is plenty of room to add a couple mm.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:08 pm »
+2

I love this game, and own all expansions, as well as gold subscription online, but the trays for recent sets have been my biggest complaint.  I really hope the Nocturne tray is as well made and sturdy as the Dark Ages tray, since that was the last good tray before the production quality of trays deteriorated.  Adventures, Empires, and Dominion Base 2nd Edition have all come with flimsy plastic trays that are just a little smaller than the original sturdier trays, and more importantly had card slots that were 1-2mm less wide than the original tray slots, and taper slightly at the bottom of the slot.  I sleeve every card with Euro premium sleeves, and the new flimsy tray card slot widths bend the sleeves and makes it hard to fit the cards back in without creating a permanent bend in the sleeve and card.  I gave the 1st edition base game away to family, but kept the old tray for myself for the 2nd edition box.  I wish Rio Grande would take sleeving sizes into consideration when the specs for the plastic trays are designed - there is plenty of room to add a couple mm.
It's the Dark Ages tray! I think what you are seeing is the difference between the American and German printers. These trays are being shipped from Germany.

So far Jay continues to not consider sleeves. It seems hard to please everyone there.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »
+2

It's the Dark Ages tray! I think what you are seeing is the difference between the American and German printers. These trays are being shipped from Germany.

So far Jay continues to not consider sleeves. It seems hard to please everyone there.

Pretty easy, I’d think. Just have all the trays made in Germany, problem solved.

7string

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 7string
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 05:58:39 pm »

Good to hear - to me at least, it's worth a wait for better trays.  Keep 'em coming from Germany.  Thanks Donald!

Made in U.S.A ain't what it used to be.  I realized that when I do dirty outdoor work (like clearing a fire break below my house on the Peninsula), I still wear a couple Sears work shirts made in US that I bought many years ago as a teenager, and they are still in perfect condition despite heavy use and paint stains...

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2017, 07:26:13 pm »
+14

I realized that when I do dirty outdoor work (like clearing a fire break below my house on the Peninsula), I still wear a couple Sears work shirts made in US that I bought many years ago as a teenager, and they are still in perfect condition despite heavy use and paint stains...
While I don't doubt that these days everyone is involved in cost engineering and planned obsolescence, it is worth being aware of a common fallacy in this area:

All the appliances I have that I bought in the twentieth century are still going strong after seventeen years, whereas many things I bought recently have broken after only a couple of years. But this statement is inherently true. You've had a lot of time to forget about all the things you bought twenty years ago and threw away fifteen years ago.

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: sonotoridesu
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 02:48:09 pm »
+5

I realized that when I do dirty outdoor work (like clearing a fire break below my house on the Peninsula), I still wear a couple Sears work shirts made in US that I bought many years ago as a teenager, and they are still in perfect condition despite heavy use and paint stains...
While I don't doubt that these days everyone is involved in cost engineering and planned obsolescence, it is worth being aware of a common fallacy in this area:

All the appliances I have that I bought in the twentieth century are still going strong after seventeen years, whereas many things I bought recently have broken after only a couple of years. But this statement is inherently true. You've had a lot of time to forget about all the things you bought twenty years ago and threw away fifteen years ago.
There's a term for this too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 04:52:32 pm »
+2

Ok, so the Dark Ages tray got 31 slots for 10-12 cards, six for approximately 20 cards and two slots for more (around 50, the slots from ruins and the randomizers). Assuming one of the big slots is again for randomizers, we have one big left. I would suppose it's the one for the hierlooms since for anything else those are probably a bit too many cards, apart from like boons and hexes combined to one pile when stored. Boons and hexes otherwise would take two of the bigger slots, then there are 31 normal and 4 bigger ones left. These are filled up by 33 kingdom cards, with four cards that can contain upgrades like hermit/urchin or a traveller line maybe. In the former case there are two slots left, in the latter one. Are there blank cards? :D

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 08:17:08 pm »
+1

Maybe two traveller lines? That would make me very happy  :D

Or it's possible that there are 50 hexes and fewer than 7 heirlooms per player.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »

Or 7 heirlooms for each of 6 players = 42 cards, and Hexes come in many kinds each with its own slot?

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2017, 05:05:35 am »
+11

Most likely the Heirlooms are cards made out of cast iron, so that you can bequeath them to succeeding generations.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:39:47 am by Marcory »

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2017, 05:31:29 pm »
+2

Teaser in 4 days. This work week is going to end with style.   :)

Previews in 7 days. That's going to be a great week!    :D

Thanks, Donald.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »
+2

Most likely the Heirlooms are cards* made out of cast iron, so that you can bequeath them to succeeding generations.

*card-shaped objects

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 01:34:29 pm »

Most likely the Heirlooms are cards* made out of cast iron, so that you can bequeath them to succeeding generations.

*card-shaped objects

Event cards and Landmark cards are also cards. It's just that when you buy an Event, you don't buy the Event card, you buy the effect. It's still not wrong to talk about Event cards as "Events", just like we talk about Action cards as "Actions". The only thing that matters is that "when you buy a card" can't refer to Events, simply because you don't buy the card.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »
+3

*card-shaped objects

Event cards and Landmark cards are also cards. It's just that when you buy an Event, you don't buy the Event card, you buy the effect. It's still not wrong to talk about Event cards as "Events", just like we talk about Action cards as "Actions". The only thing that matters is that "when you buy a card" can't refer to Events, simply because you don't buy the card.

They aren't cards in a dominion-rules-sense. They don't get their prizes reduced by Bridge, you can't gain them with Workshop, can't embargo them, and you don't get curses when buying them while affected by Swamp Hag.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 01:46:01 pm »
+3

They don't get their prizes reduced by Bridge,

Bridge makes Tournament much worse

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 03:58:27 pm »

They aren't cards in a dominion-rules-sense. They don't get their prizes reduced by Bridge, you can't gain them with Workshop, can't embargo them, and you don't get curses when buying them while affected by Swamp Hag.

Right, which all means that you don't buy an Event card. The price is not for the Event card, because you can't buy that. You can never gain an Event card either. You can't Embargo an Event card, because it's not a pile. Everything that has to do with buying, gaining or prices of cards, can't refer to an Event card, because it can't be bought or gained and it has no price. Event cards do exist in the rules of Dominion though, they are part of the setup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.