Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any joy in putting Player tokens on 1E cards?  (Read 4758 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Any joy in putting Player tokens on 1E cards?
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:43:38 am »
+1

AFAIK, it seems like folks are more on the extremes with the 1st Edition cards....
You like them as they are and wouldn't want to give them up, even if they aren't that great.
OR
Good riddance, nothing to see, move along.

Wondering if there's any revitalized interest when you place Player tokens on them (from Adventures.. like +1 card, +1 coin, -2 cost), etc.  I asked about Adventurer, but the general consensus was "too little, too late".  And even then, you're probably better off putting them tokens on any other better action card anyways (of which there will likely be).
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Any joy in putting Player tokens on 1E cards?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:05 am »
+1

If the -2 cost token was on Adventurer at the start of the game (as in without having to spend a buy or coins to move it there), it would still be a super weak card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:44:38 am »
+1

If the -2 cost token was on Adventurer at the start of the game (as in without having to spend a buy or coins to move it there), it would still be a super weak card.

Definitely still very weak. But at least I would buy it sometimes, in the absence of other draw, when I could use a sifter to turn Treasure draw into something actually useful. At $6 I’ve used it for draw maybe once ever - the other draw was Witch and there were enough Curses around that I preferred Treasure for sure to the chance of getting an Action and being more likely stuck with Curses. Still obviously one of the weakest draw cards though.

As for other cards and how they would be better with tokens on them by default. Chancellor would be reasonable, actually even kind of good if it had +Buy. Spy as a Village would be mid-tier; as a draw card it would be basically better than Lab. +Action on Tribute would make it far less risky. +Buy on Coppersmith would legitimately fix the card altogether, I’m pretty sure. +Card on Secret Chamber at least guarantees $5 but is still trash.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:09 am »

Inheriting Great Hall or Scout is totally amazing.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:09 am »
+1

You can’t Inherit Great Hall.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:18 am »
+1

Definitely still very weak. But at least I would buy it sometimes, in the absence of other draw, when I could use a sifter to turn Treasure draw into something actually useful. At $6 I’ve used it for draw maybe once ever - the other draw was Witch and there were enough Curses around that I preferred Treasure for sure to the chance of getting an Action and being more likely stuck with Curses. Still obviously one of the weakest draw cards though.

As for other cards and how they would be better with tokens on them by default. Chancellor would be reasonable, actually even kind of good if it had +Buy. Spy as a Village would be mid-tier; as a draw card it would be basically better than Lab. +Action on Tribute would make it far less risky. +Buy on Coppersmith would legitimately fix the card altogether, I’m pretty sure. +Card on Secret Chamber at least guarantees $5 but is still trash.

I think guaranteeing $5 is pretty much good enough for a $2 terminal. I'd open it reasonably often.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:06:37 am »
+5

Are you telling me this email saying that a long lost relative has died and left me their entire estate, include a great hall, is fake?  :-\
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »

Sounds reasonable to me on a weak board and playing BM. It's better than Smithy if your Treasure density is lower than 2/3.

I think people complain about Secret Chamber too much. It's not the best card, for sure, but it does cost 2$, and it has its uses in certain decks.

On the other hand, I don't think Tribute is salvageable.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:28:40 pm »
+2

Are you telling me this email saying that a long lost relative has died and left me their entire estate, include a great hall, is fake?  :-\

No, that email is completely trustworthy, but you'll have to pay $1000 to my bank account for handling all the expenses before you can receive your inheritance.

On the other hand, I don't think Tribute is salvageable.

It's pretty salvageable, you'll get $5.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:30:10 pm by Awaclus »

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 01:45:51 pm »

No, that email is completely trustworthy, but you'll have to pay $1000 to my bank account for handling all the expenses before you can receive your inheritance.

You are giving that money to the Nigerian prince though right?

Bowi

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 12:20:50 am »
+1

To add to and comment on this:

Chancellor and Woodcutter are probably fine the way they are even if they are kind of bad.
Spy and Tribute were removed for their bad interactions and therefore don't have a simple fix.
+Buy on Coppersmith is an excellent addition.
+Card on Secret Chamber would make it decent. It would also be the only terminal +1 Card.
+Action on Mine would make it more useable in engines on weak trashing boards.
Adventurer should give 3 cards instead of 2 and cost 5, making it a BM focused Smithy variant.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 03:48:21 am »

Adventurer should give 3 cards instead of 2 and cost 5, making it a BM focused Smithy variant.

That's an interesting idea. Let's compare terminal Golds (Qvist rankings in parentheses):
  • Better-Adventurer cycles you quite a bit, and sometimes gives $4+
  • (20) Count alternatively trashes and gains Duchies
  • (31) Legionary sometimes does a strong attack
  • (??) Courtier can be non-terminal, gain gold, +1 buy (but that's not typical in BM/Courtier)
  • (86) Tribute gives $2-4 or cards, meh.
  • (90) Mandarin, meh, anti-cycles you, topdecks some or all of your treasures when you buy it, meh?
  • (96) Harvest gives you $0-4
Maybe Better-Adventurer is somewhere around Courtier? B-A is better for BM, Courtier is better in engines?

Some more numbers: if you add 7 Silver to your starting deck, Better-Adventurer on average gives $4.5, which means that the money density among the other four cards in you hand needs to be at least X where X is slightly less than 1, in order to hit province. With only 3 Silver, you have $13 in 10 treasure cards (+ 3 Estates), or $1.3 per treasure card, for an average value of $3.9, so you need slightly above $1/card in your other four cards in hand (and you already have $13 in 13 cards).

That makes it sound quite strong to me.

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 06:24:59 am »

That makes it sound quite strong to me.
2 Platinums, 1 Copper, 1 or 2 Adventurers 2.0 and perhaps a sifter and you will get a Colony each turn.
Adventurer is incredibly weak but digging for 3 Treasures would be too strong (and boring).

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 10:24:16 am »

+Card on Secret Chamber would make it decent. It would also be the only terminal +1 Card.

Don't forget about Ruined Library!

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 10:26:21 am »
+1

2 Platinums, 1 Copper, 1 or 2 Adventurers 2.0 and perhaps a sifter and you will get a Colony each turn.
Is that not also true of Adventurer1.0, except slightly less so? Throw in a Peddler, or one of your treasures in your starting hand, or Scheme a Warehouse, or [...].

Of course, "3" is the magic number at which you can't buy the biggest green card with a smaller number of basic treasures, so Adv2.0 is a one-card combo in a way that Adv1.0 isn't, but... my guess is that a deck built around abusing Adv1.0 only performs slightly worse than one built around abusing Adv2.0, and not massively worse. Agree/disagree?

Adventurer is incredibly weak but digging for 3 Treasures would be too strong (and boring).
Let's hijack this thread into "how to designed a better but well-balanced Adventurer2.0" until someone tells us to stop :)

If 2 treasures is too weak and 3 is too strong, how about 2.5? ;) i.e. "dig for 3 treasures, choose 2, put them in hand and discard the other cards".

Initially it's a terminal silver. It quickly(?) becomes a terminal gold, with potential to become more than that if you put in some effort.

Also, hey, Moneylender/Adventurer synergy I hadn't yet noticed. ML makes you see Adv more often, and makes it worth more when you do. Adv cycles past ML or picks up the coppers you want to trash. [Uh, ok, ignore the last part.]

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 01:38:53 pm »
+2

Adventurer digging for three Treasures and costing 5$ would make it a terminal Gold+ that wants actual Treasure in your deck. Like Legionary. Both also wear capes.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »
+2

Would that make Cape a specific category of card, the way Trasher and Village Splitter Bunch-of-Actions-Thingy are?

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 07:21:02 am »
+2

Would that make Cape a specific category of card, the way Trasher and Village Splitter Bunch-of-Actions-Thingy are?
Yes! Bandit is also a Cape.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.