Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goofs you've seen or done in digital implementations that wouldn't happen IRL?  (Read 3760 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
+2

BSW, a player plays Cellar to discard his 4 Provinces to mulligan into better cards.  However, instead of his 4 Provinces getting "swept aside", they go flying off screen!  To that player's horror, he didn't play a Cellar.  He played a Chapel instead!

Use the "Play All Treasure" button on your Buy phase
Silver
Silver
Silver
Copper
... !! I can't undo, and I can't buy a Grand Market now!

I once announced I was buying an Ironworks.  A couple of players asked if I was sure, b/c I said "Ironworks", but grabbed a "Coppersmith" instead.  Double checking, I did grab a Copppersmith  ???  The art on the 2 looked similar enough that I got mistaken.  Unless a digital implementation could let me undo, I would've been stuck with the CS.

I've avoided buying cards, or having those cards in my hand that required excessive clicking, like Hamlet's "do you want to discard for +1 Action?"  "what about +1 buy?"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:00:53 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
+5

The classic one is playing Crown in your Action phase without Action cards in hand.

Sauna with autobuy is pretty terrible online as well; say you have a Sauna in play, two Silvers and three Coppers in hand and click on a Gold to buy it. After a Silver is automatically played, you will get to trash a Copper and even though you still have enough $ in hand to buy the Gold, you will not automatically play the rest of your treasures and will not get the Gold. You're now stuck with just a Silver in play, unable to play any treasures barring an undo.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
+2

From a recent game with Ball:

Got a 5-2 split, with no $2 cards on the board. Turn 1, I purchased Ball, and grabbed two cards. Turn 2, I clicked End Turn.

And I still had my -$1 token.

To make matters worse, the next time I purchased Ball, I made the same mistake again. After a couple of other frustrating misclicks, I just gave up.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile

The classic one is playing Crown in your Action phase without Action cards in hand.

Sauna with autobuy is pretty terrible online as well; say you have a Sauna in play, two Silvers and three Coppers in hand and click on a Gold to buy it. After a Silver is automatically played, you will get to trash a Copper and even though you still have enough $ in hand to buy the Gold, you will not automatically play the rest of your treasures and will not get the Gold. You're now stuck with just a Silver in play, unable to play any treasures barring an undo.

These are the two worst offenders.

Seriously, someone come up with an edge case where all you have in hand is Crown and Treasures, and you want to play the Crown as an action.  (Note that the Crown counts as an Action in play for the purposes of buying Peddler, even when played as a Treasure.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
+5

Seriously, someone come up with an edge case where all you have in hand is Crown and Treasures, and you want to play the Crown as an action.  (Note that the Crown counts as an Action in play for the purposes of buying Peddler, even when played as a Treasure.)

+1 Card token on Crown
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
+3

Buying Borrow before playing treasures is my favorite. 

Autobuy with debt is also a pretty common one for me. 

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+1

+1 Card token on Crown

This isn’t even like a niche edge case either - this is somewhat regularly a good idea to do and it’s important to allow it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
+1

BSW, a player plays Cellar to discard his 4 Provinces to mulligan into better cards.  However, instead of his 4 Provinces getting "swept aside", they go flying off screen!  To that player's horror, he didn't play a Cellar.  He played a Chapel instead!

I'm pretty sure I did a similar thing on isotropic. My opponent played a bishop. I thought he'd played a militia so I tried to discard a province.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile

Buying Borrow before playing treasures is my favorite. 

I think I did this twice in one game. I will probably do it again.

CPiGuy

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: CPiGuy
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile

Villa is on the board with a +1 card token, and you know that the top card of your deck is a Conspirator (which cares about actions played, not actions in play).

or, if we're banning tokens, Villa, Farmland, and a +buy treasure are on the board and there's an Overgrown Estate in your hand (not a Treasure, but eh), your top card is conspirator, and you play Crown as action, use a treasure with +buy, buy Farmland (or some trashing event?) and farm your Overgrown Estate into... something, draw the Conspirator, buy Villa, play it, play the Conspirator.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:42:35 am by CPiGuy »

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
+4

Pretty certain playing Crown in your Buy phase is still playing an Action card and counts for Conspirator.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile

This sounds like a flat-out bug, not a difficulty of online play...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+2

Pretty certain playing Crown in your Buy phase is still playing an Action card and counts for Conspirator.

That's correct.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+2

Crown is never played “as an a Action” or “as a Treasure”; it is always played “as an Action-Treasure”. It just does different things depending on the phase played in.

Unless Crown draws due to a token or Enchantress, that’s the only edge case I can think of. The token thing is pretty common.

(I think the Enchantress effect will actually affect Crown in the Buy phase too, it’s just way shittier to play it then)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title

Alms/Villa is a neat trick to get 1 extra coin, that I have forgotten a couple times. Although I'd probably still forget it IRL.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.68 seconds with 20 queries.