Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another "How to Play This Board" Thread  (Read 1423 times)

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Another "How to Play This Board" Thread
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:06:53 pm »

I know there's a lot of these lately, but this one is sorta driving me crazy.

No Colonies or shelters.

Bandit, Poacher, Market, Bridge, Pirate Ship, Scrying Pool, Counting House, Baker, Peasant, Magpie.

Event: Donate.

Donate boards give you a ludicrous amount of control. Shuffle luck can cease to be a factor entirely if you get your deck to the ideal size. There's no limit to how far ahead you can plan. Somehow, though, I can't find the optimal strategy here. Obviously getting to Teacher as quickly as possible can win you the game, seeing as the +Action token enables a Bridge Megaturn that will crush your opponent. The importance of the race to Teacher seems to imply you want a Peasant / Donate opening to guarantee you'll always be able to play the Peasant line cards. On the other hand, doing this leaves you with very little economy to pay off the debt. You want to be able to pick up a few other actions in the few turns where you're waiting for Teacher to arrive. Without that, you won't be able to take full advantage of the tokens when they become available. But keeping enough coppers around to quickly pay off the debt and still play your Peasant means you can't add any more stop cards like Bridge. That's a considerable disadvantage, since Bridge seems like an ideal card to have access to once Teacher comes online. You can pick up some stuff like Scrying Pool to help with draw, but I'm concerned about when to incorporate the potion. Magpie is here, but doesn't draw you anything if all the remaining coppers are in your hand.

Enough of my rambling. How would you approach this board?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Another "How to Play This Board" Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:15:46 pm »

This will probably show I'm not a good player, but...

A key issue is the lack of Villages. I suspect a powerhouse deck would therefore want a Disciple as well as a Teacher and some Bakers in the meantime to support the Bridges.

I think I'd open Peasant/Baker. Then I'd buy a Bridge on turn 3 if I could afford it, otherwise a second Peasant. if I can't afford a Bridge on turn 3, it's certain I can afford it on turn 4.

Once I have a Bridge, I Donate. I now probably have a deck of Soldier, Baker, Bridge, maybe also a Peasant. Turn 5/6: I play Baker+Soldier to clear some debt. Turn 6/7: either Fugitive+Baker+Bridge to pick up a Peasant or I play Fugitive+Baker+Peasant.

Turn 7/8: I Disciple my Baker, play Bridge and Peasant/Soldier, keeping the Disciple, buying Baker.

Turn 8/9: Same again, if I have a Soldier rather than a Fugitive.

Turn 9/10/11: I play my Fugitive, then my Bakers, then I Disciple my Bridge. I gain a Bridge, buy as many more as I can afford, upgrade Fugitive->Disciple and Disciple->Teacher.

Turn 10/11/12: Disciple a Baker so I can play both a Bridge and Teacher.

Turn 11/12/13: Teach +1 Action onto Bridge. Disciple a Bridge. Play all the Bridges and Bakers. Empty the Bridges, get as many more Bakers as I dare without risking someone three-piling.

Now I'm in a position to go nuclear. If I get a second go with Teacher, I put +1 Coin on Baker.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:17:16 pm by crj »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »
+3

The Pirate Ship - Scrying Pool combo is totally the thing to go for.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:39:12 pm »
+3

I am by no means a donate expert but I'm looking at starting peasant/market with a another buy (peasant?) and donate on turn 3. Build the megaturn deck using disciple, market, bridge, and some teacher tokens.

It might be possible to drain the magpies in one turn here and that is a factor. I don't think it brings the bandit into play but getting 9-10 magpies with a teacher token might be a major advantage. The +buy token might be a big deal for a 3 pile finish.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:05 am »

I think I'd plan like this: open Potion/Peasant. If I hit $4 on turn 3, get Poacher. With $5, get Market. Lower, get a Second Peasant. Buy Donate on the turn you exchange the first Peasant (on the second buy). If I have neither Poacher nor Market around by that time, I want to keep a single Copper for economy. I'll hit $2P or $3P a bit, get some more Pools. First Teacher is +coin on SP, then amass bridges and put +action there for the megaturn.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.