Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DS blog complaint  (Read 2289 times)

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
DS blog complaint
« on: October 02, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »
+2

First of all let me just say, despite the title, I’m really grateful to Beyond Awesome and the other blog admins for reviving the DS blog, and I’m glad some good articles have been brought into the spotlight which deserve more attention and could be useful for newer players.   I think the community in general was really happy about the revival of the DominionStrategy blog. A few big problems did exist with the old blog- it was not updated frequently, the articles eventually got outdated, and eventually, there just wasn’t much to say that wasn’t already on the forums or the wiki.

As a long-time lurker on the forums, I unfortunately have to say that I’m a bit disappointed after the first few weeks of reading the blog. The first articles were just copied from the forums, so I had already read them before. Sure, the articles were very high quality, and they went over points that experienced players could also benefit from. And I’m well aware that not everyone who now reads the blog has read them before- the whole blog isn’t just for me.

But there’s also the issue that new posts are getting more rare and aren’t on schedule. I know that it’s hard to produce new content, especially on a game like Dominion which people have thought about intensely for the last several years. I also understand that you adults lead busy lives and at times have a lot of things to juggle at once, and that a blog about a board game might not be at the very top of your priorities.

Nevertheless, I think that if the articles are going to be copied from the forums, they should be posted more frequently, since that doesn’t require too much effort from the team. If the team would rather take their time and produce something better, then that would certainly be fine, but firstly, they should say so and secondly, the final result shouldn’t be an article that already exists.

I really hope I’m not making anyone upset here. As I said before, I’m thankful for all the effort that you guys have already put in, and I hope I’m not being too much of a jerk for stepping up to complain.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: DS blog complaint
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:11:18 pm »
+9

The problem is the forums are currently the mechanism to have articles reviewed. So prospective article writers first post their work here to get feedback, then they get posted on the site. The content is “original” and not stolen or anything, it was just evaluated here first. The alternative is to make evaluation of articles hidden from most users, which limits feedback.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »

I would make two more considerations, first is that the blog is, in a sense, a much more permanent archive for the articles than the forum is, I for one know that I read a bunch of the blog/wiki that was written years before I even knew what dominion was, if all that was in the forum I know I would never find it, second is that a lot of people first contact (and I believe for many, only contact) with the dominion community is through the blog, many people never come to the forums and thus would never find much of the newer content that's being generated, the blog can reach a lot of people the forum won't, and I also fear some people might think that a dead blog is the product of a dead community and also never get to become a part of it.

So, a lot of those points aren't really relevant for a lot of us regulars/lurkers from the forum, but that's just because we aren't the central group that a lot of those post are aimed at, but there still awesome content being made that we can enjoy, I know that a lot of people (I at least) surely enjoyed the podcast made by Seprix and BA for the blog (the interview with Dan Brooks in the second episode is specially good) and that wasn't available anywhere in the forums beforehand
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:48:54 pm by gloures »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »

What is the benefit of creating content specifically for the blog, and not sharing it with the forum? Less people overall would get to see it.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 02:55:56 pm »

What is the benefit of creating content specifically for the blog, and not sharing it with the forum? Less people overall would get to see it.

There is no problem, but if the articles already exist on the forum, it shouldn't take a week to select one and post it on the blog.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
+2

There is no problem, but if the articles already exist on the forum, it shouldn't take a week to select one and post it on the blog.

If they select and post articles at a faster rate than the articles are being written, though, they're eventually going to run out.

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »
+1

Well, during that week a lot of suggestions and modifications are being made to that article, Seprix article on Lurker that got posted went through a few iterations before getting posted there. And another is while we are going through a surge in the articles creation department, it's unreasonable to think that the current rhythm is going to be maintained in the long run, if there's a rush to post everything currently being created on the blog, it might be that soon there won't be any new content to post at all, having things ready to post for periods when the community is not creating so much might be important for the survival of the blog

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
+16

The podcast was delayed last week due to technical difficulties. It was actually recorded on Wednesday, but we have not been able to post it yet.

As for content, it is expected that the majority of articles will come from the forums. All writers are contacted in advance before their articles are posted. The good thing about having articles first on the forum is this allows feedback from the community and results in the article being better. If it was just one person giving feedback (me), I can assure you the articles posted on the blog would not be as good as they possibly could. Simply put, many other people notice things that I don't.

Also, I want to keep it to one article a week for now. There are two reasons. The first being that it is possible we will run out of content, or at least quality content. The second reason is that by posting one article a week, this allows more time for feedback on articles.

With that said, I have a tentative article release schedule for this month. Sometime today, Dan's Mandarin/Capital article will be going up. Also, we have several podcast guests lined up, including artists that make card art for Dominion and DougZ the creator of isotropic.

I also have a list of articles I would like to see written. I will be posting that sometime this week.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:43:01 pm by Beyond Awesome »

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 04:00:02 am »

Assuming they post 1 article a week about 1 card or mechanic, and they work through holidays, that's 52 articles per year.  Unless they up the expansion release schedule something much more frequent ;), I believe it's a good pace
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.