Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Question: Throne Room + Trash this.  (Read 2416 times)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
Question: Throne Room + Trash this.
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »

Hi, all, quick question:

If I Throne Room a card that says "Trash this card. If you do, take 2 VP Tokens", what happens?

Do I get 2 or 4 VP Tokens?

Precedent for this would be Mining Village, I think.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Throne Room + Trash this.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:53:41 pm »
+4

If it says "If you do", you take 2 VP.  If doesn't, you take 4 VP.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:01:26 pm »

Compare the way Feast and Mining Village work when Throned.  Feast you get the two $5 cards, Mining Village you only get +$2 because it has the "if you do" clause.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »

With the updated wordings in 2nd edition, “if you do” is somewhat deprecated in favor of just “for”.

Text that takes 2 VP in this scenario would likely read:

Trash this for +2VP.

Otherwise, it would probably say:

+2VP
Trash this.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:22:16 am »
+1

Apparently, all official cards using "for" or "to" wordings are optional, that is "You may trash this for +2Vp.". All mandatory cards apparently still use the older "if you do" wording: "Trash this. If you do: +2VP."

I used to not care about this because I feel it's a Dominion specific thing, but people insisted it was misleading to write "Discard a card to draw a card.". Make of this what you wish.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:32:00 am »

Apparently, all official cards using "for" or "to" wordings are optional, that is "You may trash this for +2Vp.". All mandatory cards apparently still use the older "if you do" wording: "Trash this. If you do, +2VP."
Vault and Storeroom say "Discard any number of cards for + each", but otherwise that's right based on the ShuffleIT card texts.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 09:32:27 am »

Apparently, all official cards using "for" or "to" wordings are optional, that is "You may trash this for +2Vp.". All mandatory cards apparently still use the older "if you do" wording: "Trash this. If you do: +2VP."

I used to not care about this because I feel it's a Dominion specific thing, but people insisted it was misleading to write "Discard a card to draw a card.". Make of this what you wish.

I tried to find an example of a mandatory card with updated wording AND conditional effect and I actually could not. Which example are you referring to?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:37:07 am »

I tried to find an example of a mandatory card with updated wording AND conditional effect and I actually could not. Which example are you referring to?
Trading Post: "Trash 2 cards from your hand. If you did, gain a Silver to your hand."

Also things like Triumph and Summon.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 11:44:33 am »

Excellent, thank you.
In my Antiquities Fanspansion, I have an altVP with "Trash to gain VPs" and didn't want it to be King's Court + altVP = 5 billion points.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:23:29 pm »
+2

Excellent, thank you.
In my Antiquities Fanspansion, I have an altVP with "Trash to gain VPs" and didn't want it to be King's Court + altVP = 5 billion points.

Meh. People are always freaking out over cards being strong with King's Court. Cards are strong with King's Court. That's what King's Court does. Like Possession and Fortress, you should usually ignore if something feels overpowered with that card, unless it's downright broken (which admittedly is a matter of perception, but I wouldn't call +4 more VP broken).

Either way, have you compared your card to Distand Lands yet?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »

Excellent, thank you.

Meh. People are always freaking out over cards being strong with King's Court. Cards are strong with King's Court. That's what King's Court does. Like Possession and Fortress, you should usually ignore if something feels overpowered with that card, unless it's downright broken (which admittedly is a matter of perception, but I wouldn't call +4 more VP broken).

I dunno, Donald added extra words to Tactician just to nerf the interaction with Throne Room. And there's plenty of effects stronger than Throne Room + Tactician (if it worked).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »
+1

Excellent, thank you.

I dunno, Donald added extra words to Tactician just to nerf the interaction with Throne Room. And there's plenty of effects stronger than Throne Room + Tactician (if it worked).

Isn't this actually the interaction between Tactician and an otherwise empty hand? There are lots of ways to achieve this other than Throne Room.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:40:06 pm »
+1

Excellent, thank you.

Isn't this actually the interaction between Tactician and an otherwise empty hand? There are lots of ways to achieve this other than Throne Room.

The nerf was specifically for thrones. Having to keep a card in hand for Tactician to discard is just a sad side effect.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.