Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: journey token black market  (Read 2268 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
journey token black market
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:18 am »

I recently played a game online where I got giant from the black market deck.
Since none of the starting 10 cards were journey cards I didn't have a journey token
So the giant just gave +$1 every time I played it.

I was wondering if that's the desired behavior or is it correct to add a journey token to the game in that circumstance.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: journey token black market
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:37 am »
+4

Definitely a bug.

The Black Market contents are considered part of the game for everything, such as adding a Bane for the Young Witch, starting with a Coin Token for Baker; adding Ruins to the supply for a Looter, etc.

And in the case of the Journey token, you don't even need to have the Journey token from the start of the game; it's not like the others where you could potentially use it before you bought the Giant. The Journey token really should just come with the Giant.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:09 am »

I recently played a game online where I got giant from the black market deck.
Since none of the starting 10 cards were journey cards I didn't have a journey token
So the giant just gave +$1 every time I played it.

I was wondering if that's the desired behavior or is it correct to add a journey token to the game in that circumstance.
It doesn't seem correct to me, but see below.  While it's true that the descriptions of Giant, Ranger and Pilgrimage all specifically instruct one to put the Journey token face up at the start of the game, the Adventures rule book also says

"The Journey token (the one showing a boot) is face up at the start of a game. It can be turned over by Ranger, Giant, and Pilgrimage. They turn over the token and then check to see if it is face up or not, and do something based on that. The token can be turned face down with one effect and then face up with another."

so the instruction to put the Journey token face up is not specific to the set-up instructions of any of the cards that use it.  Furthermore I can see nothing to suggest that the tokens (or the Tavern mat) are only present in games for which they are required at the outset.  Having said all that, I suspect that it might have been Donald X's intention that the tokens were only to be used in games that required them at the outset.  When Adventures first came out, I vaguely recall someone asking if tokens were used in all games or only the ones that required them.  I seem to recall a somewhat bemused Donald asking in reply why one would 'use' tokens in a game that didn't require them.  Black Market proves to be the answer!

I know that Donald asked Stef to keep certain cards, e.g. Young Witch, out of the Black Market deck because they required a special set-up when they were in the game.  It could well be that he needs to add Giant, Ranger, Relic, Bridge Troll etc to the list.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »
+2

It's a bug. Marauder doesn't say you have to put the Spoils out in a setup clause, either. Still it works.

I seem to recall a somewhat bemused Donald asking in reply why one would 'use' tokens in a game that didn't require them.  Black Market proves to be the answer!

A Black Market game with a token card in the Market is a game requiring the token, is it not?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:28 am »
+1

Markus looked at the game log and says that Giant was working correctly. The attack may just have happened too fast (or with too few animations) in the client for the original poster to notice.

Edit: link is: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2302.msg9478#msg9478

Quote from: markus
I loaded your game and the journey token is there. The log also shows that your Giant was working correctly and attacked every other time. I'm attaching a screenshot pointing at the token and showing a log entry of Giant working.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:07:28 pm by JW »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
+2

Markus looked at the game log and says that Giant was working correctly. The attack may just have happened too fast (or with too few animations) in the client for the original poster to notice.

I loaded your game and the journey token is there. The log also shows that your Giant was working correctly and attacked every other time. I'm attaching a screenshot pointing at the token and showing a log entry of Giant working.

What is with this quote?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:42:18 am »

What is with this quote?

Up to 4 subs needed.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:09:49 pm »

What is with this quote?

I quoted the post from ShuffleIT's forums and copied it into my reply here:
The line was quote: "author=markus link=topic=2302.msg9478#msg9478 date=1506506050"

Which happens to link to a completely different post on these forums than ShuffleIT's! The actual link is: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2302.msg9478#msg9478
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 21 queries.