Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thoughts on Etiquette Blog Article?  (Read 2699 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Etiquette Blog Article?
« on: September 25, 2017, 04:45:18 pm »
+1

I floated the idea of writing an article for the blog about Dominion Online etiquette and wanted to revisit it here.

Here are some possible points I'm considering covering:

1) Pre-game greetings; what to say, how to respond. Is it necessary? Does anyone care?

2) Chat behavior & meta-gaming. Is there an appropriate way to complain about luck? How does one respond to such complaints?

3) How far back can one reasonably request Undo? How does one deal with Undo requests?

4) Resigning, quitting and ending the game. When should one resign? When should one NOT resign? Is running up the score acceptable? Am I obligated to pile-out?

5) 'gg' and post-game behavior (including offers to rematch, etc.).

With that in mind, my questions are:

1) Is this a worthwhile endeavor? If so, is the blog the right place for it, given that this would be primarily about online etiquette? Would this be better suited to the ShIt forum?

2) If so, my first inclination was to workshop and research the article here. Is this the best place to research it? Should I create an alt-account and solicit opinions in ranked games?

3) Should the article be descriptive or prescriptive? Is it enough to try to cover the current etiquette landscape and present varying perspectives on each of the items listed above? Or should it (with well-researched input from the f.ds community) be an attempt to shape online etiquette? Is it naïve to think this community could try to establish its own set of standards? To what degree is that already happening?

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Etiquette Blog Article?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »

Regarding pre and post game comments (gl, gg, etc) there is such a wide diversity of opinions in the community that I would not presume to write an article describing the "correct" etiquette for these.  It's too much of a minefield.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »

4) Resigning, quitting and ending the game. When should one resign? When should one NOT resign? Is running up the score acceptable? Am I obligated to pile-out?

It's never rude to resign a 2-player game if you feel that you are certain to lose; your opponent can continue to play against a bot if they want to keep building their deck or see how many Provinces they can get this turn, etc. It's rude to resign a game with more than two human players, because replacing you with a bot may completely alter the dynamics of the game between the remaining people.

And please note in the article that closing your browser tab doesn't resign you. It just disconnects you and your opponent will have to wait several minutes until the game gives them the chance to force you to resign.

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
+3

Regarding pre and post game comments (gl, gg, etc) there is such a wide diversity of opinions in the community that I would not presume to write an article describing the "correct" etiquette for these.  It's too much of a minefield.
Agreed.

1) Is this a worthwhile endeavor? If so, is the blog the right place for it, given that this would be primarily about online etiquette? Would this be better suited to the ShIt forum?
An article of the sort would be useful, especially for new players.

3) Should the article be descriptive or prescriptive? Is it enough to try to cover the current etiquette landscape and present varying perspectives on each of the items listed above? Or should it (with well-researched input from the f.ds community) be an attempt to shape online etiquette? Is it naïve to think this community could try to establish its own set of standards? To what degree is that already happening?
I prescribe making it largely descriptive, including a variety of opinions, including your own.

SkyHard

• Steward
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 04:12:51 am »

An article of the sort would be useful, especially for new players.

Although I do agree, I fear that these new players won't read it. "I just want to play Dominion for god's sake!"

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »
+1

My only concern is that such an article might do more harm than good. For example, if the article implies it is impolite to say gg or good luck before matches, we may simply end up with games where no one says anything to each other or people take offense to their opponent saying gg.

I don't know. Maybe this article does need to exist though to see what this community's thoughts are. I would actually try to conduct research here, on reddit and also the shuffleIt forum. People that posts on different areas may have different ideas about etiquette.

Another thing about such an article is the implication may be that we are telling players how they should behave. I mean, I understand telling people that intentional slow playing is bad, but telling people how to conduct themselves in other matters might come across as a form of policing.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:18:18 pm »

Would it be very rude if I took a stab at this article? I know it’s your idea so I don’t want to step on your turf, but this has been bouncing around my head the last couple of days and I have a good idea what I would write now. If you would rather try it, don’t worry, I won’t, but I’m just curious.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:28:36 pm »

Would it be very rude if I took a stab at this article? I know it’s your idea so I don’t want to step on your turf, but this has been bouncing around my head the last couple of days and I have a good idea what I would write now. If you would rather try it, don’t worry, I won’t, but I’m just curious.

By all means, go for it. I probably won't get to it any time soon.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:09:41 pm »
+1

There is at the least a market for an article saying "hey, some places may consider X rude, but we don't and here's why" as well as "hey, we consider Y rude but if you do Z instead it saves everyone time and *isn't* rude."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 02:29:17 pm »
+1

There is at the least a market for an article saying "hey, some places may consider X rude, but we don't and here's why" as well as "hey, we consider Y rude but if you do Z instead it saves everyone time and *isn't* rude."

This is what I was thinking. It's deceptively prescriptive.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:08:07 pm »

Man I just encountered the most awkward Undo situation ever: Accidentally clicking the wrong card on an opponent's Advisor. I didn't bother to ask for the Undo because I was going to lose anyway, but if someone can think of a more awkward Undo to ask for, I'd love to hear it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.