Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: What is your favorite Dominion Downer?  (Read 40674 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Dominion Downer?
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2012, 05:06:09 pm »

I sometimes play Dominion while doing something else (depends on the type of game, whether we both have megaturns with no interactions), but.....

The other thing I'm doing is browsing the internet and when my Firefox Tab screems "Your Turn!!!" I immediately switch back and play my turn.
So I keep an eye on the game while doing something else and react promptly.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »

I sometimes play Dominion while doing something else (depends on the type of game, whether we both have megaturns with no interactions), but.....

The other thing I'm doing is browsing the internet and when my Firefox Tab screems "Your Turn!!!" I immediately switch back and play my turn.
So I keep an eye on the game while doing something else and react promptly.

I take no issue with this type of multitasking.  I do this myself if the game has cards that just take a while to play due to their effects.  It's when the "Your Turn!!!" notification gets ignored for a minute or two several times in a game that I get frustrated.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30:42 pm »

A very slow game (due to card selection) against a very slow opponent (due to, who knows, brain damage?) who never talks.

OMG this game has gone on for almost half an hour.

I think that online people deserve more slack for taking a while. People often play while they're doing something else, especially in3-4p games where each person might be taking a mega-turn. A RL game often takes around 30 minutes (if you're lucky). People who have slow internet/aren't chained to their computers/want to think carefully about their choices deserve the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion, because I know that there are times when I'm going to be in the same boat.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120314-225307-c68ae32c.html

My opponent's T26 (next to last turn) took longer than 5 minutes.  12 total cards were played.  Cartographer and WW don't take 30 seconds apiece to figure out.

And yeah, if your multitasking is anything other than reading or browsing--both of which you can do while watching the "Your Turn!" flash--that's incredibly rude.  If you're here to play, play.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:38 am »

My opponent's T26 (next to last turn) took longer than 5 minutes.  12 total cards were played.  Cartographer and WW don't take 30 seconds apiece to figure out.

To be fair, Cartographer can take a significant amount of time just to play on Iso when it's important to rearrange your card order each time, because the interface for switching card order around feels fairly finicky (at least it does to me).  Given that your opponent was mixing up Cartographers with card draw (and so reordering mattered), seems likely this was part of the problem.  Ironically, that's the kind of turn that would go much faster in RL than on Iso.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 03:40:51 am »

IRL we'd just implicitly agree, if playing Cartographer with Wishing Well, that we'd just automatically wish for the proper card.

ciaccona

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 04:49:28 am »

My stupid mistakes bother me the most. Choosing to draw with Steward when there's nothing to draw. Buying a single $5 card with $10 when I thought I had multiple buys. Getting confused by complicated KC shenanigans and throwing away a won game. Sometimes I start the game too fast and completely miss an important kingdom card on the board.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2012, 01:33:23 am »

23 victory cards in the deck with a silk road rush, and losing by a few points. It happened to me TWICE tonight.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:36 am »

When you have a hand full of powerful actions or a lot of money and golem hits your tactician.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2012, 01:59:14 pm »

When you have a hand full of powerful actions or a lot of money and golem hits your tactician.

Why do you have a Tactician in a Golem deck? And why didn't you realise it would be very likely, if you already have lots of actions in hand?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 02:47:13 pm »

Why do you have a Tactician in a Golem deck? And why didn't you realise it would be very likely, if you already have lots of actions in hand?
Many kc in deck, (not in hand) hoping to hit one and kc a mountebank.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »

That doesn't answer either question... I'd be very hesitant to play Golem if I had a tactician in deck, and I'd be fully aware it was a reasonable probability to happen if I did (unless you had, like, 20 other actions in deck, you're looking at a 20%+ probability)
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

barsooma

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 07:45:39 pm »

That doesn't answer either question... I'd be very hesitant to play Golem if I had a tactician in deck, and I'd be fully aware it was a reasonable probability to happen if I did (unless you had, like, 20 other actions in deck, you're looking at a 20%+ probability)

But how are you going to play double Tactician without Golem????!??

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »

But how are you going to play double Tactician without Golem????!??

Throne Room.  ;)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »

Double tactician being playing two active tacticians at once? Yeah... no. Double Tactician is a fun theorycraft, but not a viable strategy. The way to play double tactician is to gain tactician onto deck, along with a draw card, then play golem to tactician, draw, and hopefully hit your other tactician. Otherwise, I suspect Golem and Tactician have a negative effect together.

...And I'm right. http://councilroom.com/optimal_card_ratios?card_x=Golem&card_y=Tactician Pretty significant nombo there.

barsooma

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »

Double tactician being playing two active tacticians at once? Yeah... no. Double Tactician is a fun theorycraft, but not a viable strategy. The way to play double tactician is to gain tactician onto deck, along with a draw card, then play golem to tactician, draw, and hopefully hit your other tactician. Otherwise, I suspect Golem and Tactician have a negative effect together.

...And I'm right. http://councilroom.com/optimal_card_ratios?card_x=Golem&card_y=Tactician Pretty significant nombo there.

Inconceivable!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2012, 06:45:42 pm »

I hate it when I confuse Crossroads with Courtyard. So annoying! >:(

Mad, I tell you.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:40 pm »

...one of my favorite (least favorite) misreads of the kingdom which I do a ton is not realizing it is a colony game until turn 6 or 7. This is usually not as bad as most of the others on this list, but I do it so often (like every other colony game it seems) that I have to hate it the most.
This happens to me almost every colony game.  I can't figure out what goes on that I can miss two additional cards in a stack of what is normally 7 or 8.  Anybody have any idea how this happens?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2012, 08:04:10 pm »

...one of my favorite (least favorite) misreads of the kingdom which I do a ton is not realizing it is a colony game until turn 6 or 7. This is usually not as bad as most of the others on this list, but I do it so often (like every other colony game it seems) that I have to hate it the most.
This happens to me almost every colony game.  I can't figure out what goes on that I can miss two additional cards in a stack of what is normally 7 or 8.  Anybody have any idea how this happens?

Well, I'm on a Netbook so I often can't see the extra cards because they're off my screen. I have to hit Ctrl - (a helpful tip someone gave me on iso chat!) or go to fullscreen. In a Potion game even Fullscreen is too big for my screen.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »

misclicking gold instead of platinum... or other such misclicks...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »

Well, I'm on a Netbook so I often can't see the extra cards because they're off my screen. I have to hit Ctrl - (a helpful tip someone gave me on iso chat!) or go to fullscreen. In a Potion game even Fullscreen is too big for my screen.
Text mode, my friend.

ksf_

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:03 pm »

Even in text mode I had to edit the chrome on Firefox to see everything and still be able to read anything.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »
+1

..I had to edit the chrome on Firefox...

??? You did what now?

paddyodoors

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 12:59:22 pm »

..I had to edit the chrome on Firefox...

??? You did what now?

Yeah?  You don't know about that?  It's like editing the explorer on Safari.  ;)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »
+2

Any more for any more?

paddyodoors

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »

Worst Dominion Downer for me is not getting to $5 until Turn 6 (or later).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.