Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: What is your favorite Dominion Downer?  (Read 40702 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Dominion Downer?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:32 pm »
+2

Thinking about a game you played half an hour ago and realizing you could have won by three-piling on your last turn instead of buying more points.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 05:44:24 pm »

You've just described two of my favourite Dominion Uppers!

A closely lost match usually means a match that was against an opponent that was well suited to my skill level. If I win by  a large margin, its usually a little disappointing as my opponnent's skill level would have meant that I might as well have being solitaire. If I lose by a large margin, its usually because I'm trying something new and unconventional and it goes belly up, or I'm so tired that my judgment fails. But if its close, that normally means I've played well, my opponent has played well, and the game has come down to a test of brinksmanship and fortune. That suits me fine!

Well, it depends on the game. Sometimes a hard fought battle is lots of fun, but if it was a torturer pin or something and then I lose by a turn that's another matter. I will also say, that even if it is a dominion downer, that doesn't exclude having fun. I was playing a RL game where all but one person drew CCPEE in a familiars game, and the person who didn't proceeded to destroy everyone, but it was still fun.

As for beating higher ranked players, I love it! I've not yet played a higher ranked player and though that I won because their skill was lacking. THAT would be disappointing, sure. Each time I've beaten someone of higher rank its been because I've managed to play to or beyond their high level, or because I've had recognisable good fortune.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy beating higher ranking players, it's just when they clearly are embarking on some bizarre strategy and I don't know if I won through luck, or having a better strategy, I much prefer to understand what both sides were doing at the end of the game.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:12 am »

I'm surprised "3/4 split when there's a power $5 that opponent gets" isn't rated higher. If the card is Witch or Mountebank that is surely as bad as Potion + $2 on a Familiar board. It's the reason I prefer to play identical opening hands when I can, or more often IRL I play "choose your opening buys".

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 11:08:16 am »
+2

Comparing to poker all-in probabilities (not unfamiliar for a lot of people I hope):

$4/$3 against an opponent's $5/$2 on Mountebank board = KJo vs AQ
+P$2 on familiar board vs +P$3 = 27o vs AA

Just to illustrate that the Familiar case is basically gg, while the Mountebank isn't at all.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »

Comparing to poker all-in probabilities (not unfamiliar for a lot of people I hope):

Just to illustrate that the Familiar case is basically gg, while the Mountebank isn't at all.

o being offsuit? And do you have the stats if you miss familiar but hit Apocethary, Transmute, University or Scrying pool?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 01:51:54 pm »

Yeah, I have no idea what that means, sorry.
In my experience it's just as bad. Most often it's gg, but not always, in both cases. It depends a lot on what else is available of course.

Duchess Ninja

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »

Having played a few tens of thousands hands of poker, I'm rarely bothered by bad shuffle luck, such as the 2$p Familiar or 7$ draws. If you've lost with Aces to Ace-X all-in pre-flop for $100+ pots as much as I have, not much can bother you about card order. The real downers for me are my own mistakes. For example, I was playing in a 4 player game and was a turn or two away from Bishop-Plat-Gold-Gold-Colony and no one saw it coming (not playing against experts, of course), and I trashed my Chapel one turn too early by a miscalculation. It cost me about 5 turns and the game and I was grumbling about it for about an hour.

Good players lose all the time to sucky situations. The best way to mitigate that is to learn from your mistakes and get better so those situations don't hurt as much, not complaining about "luck". I'm not implying this thread is useless or anything, it is quite entertaining, but anyone posting here has played enough games to know that you've been on the giving end of that bad luck enough to "give" you some wins too.

Duchess Ninja

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »

Yeah, I have no idea what that means, sorry.
In my experience it's just as bad. Most often it's gg, but not always, in both cases. It depends a lot on what else is available of course.

KJo = King-Jack of different suits
AQ = Ace-Queen.
The Ace Queen is the favorite, but not by a ton.

AA = Aces
27o = Two-Seven of different suits.
Aces are about 4.5 to 1 favorite.

The latter situation certainly hurts worse in my experience, but maybe not as much as the poker analogy implies. I think it depends heavily on your opponent and the rest of the board. Going Familiar with $3p is pretty obvious to all but the n00best of players, so your skill could save you if there are combos that he/she doesn't see.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 02:29:39 pm »
+1

The best way to mitigate that is to learn from your mistakes and get better so those situations don't hurt as much, not complaining about "luck". I'm not implying this thread is useless or anything, it is quite entertaining, but anyone posting here has played enough games to know that you've been on the giving end of that bad luck enough to "give" you some wins too.

That would imply people remember the 'good luck', or as often happens in poker, prescribe when they have good luck down to Great play on thier part instead of reversing the thought.

I had a friend once who called two all-ins with A6, both other hands were AK, and of course he hit a 6 to win. I never did convince him it was a bad move "How can it be bad, I won!"

This is why I wanted it to say probobility instead of luck earlier!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Duchess Ninja

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 03:23:49 pm »

That would imply people remember the 'good luck', or as often happens in poker, prescribe when they have good luck down to Great play on thier part instead of reversing the thought.

Yeah, I've been guilty of that, but it lessens with experience, at least for me. Also, losing hundreds of dollars to an idiotic play dozens of times in poker lessens the effect of losing a close Dominion game (for no money) because I drew $7 three turns in a row.

I had a friend once who called two all-ins with A6, both other hands were AK, and of course he hit a 6 to win. I never did convince him it was a bad move "How can it be bad, I won!"

Why give the free poker lesson? I always say, "nice hand" and hope they do it again. With my regular Dominion group that is composed of good friends of mine, we always talk about the game afterwards because we all want to get better. But I also play in another more competitive group and I never "give lessons" there. "Yeah, Pirate Ship sure is fun!" "No, I don't think buying Great Halls with your first four buys cost you the game. Just bad luck".

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 03:28:26 pm »

Well, firstly because he was bragging he had done so well, and also, this was at a proper tournament and I was a little embarissed!

Also, they are my friends, so when I play them at home, we never play for serious money because otherwise pretty soon we would stop playing because they would be broke!

However, that being said, I rarely give them Dominion advice because I only just edge them out there some of the time!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 08:00:01 am »

I have overcome my hatred of 4/3 vs 5/2!
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/04/game-20120304-044106-c2487343.html
..that and he bought a Highway with no +buys on the board =P
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Catalytic

• Steward
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 09:35:52 am »

Opening Mint/Fool's Gold to draw Mint / Copper / Estate x 3 on Turn #3 is pretty annoying.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »
+1

when your opponent kc-golem and all of them are mean attacks like ghost ship and mountebank. card #6 is a lab. What does he draw with his lab? a kc and a golem
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:45:56 pm by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:45 pm »

Speaking of downers, I recently had a game where I drew 2p (P-C-C-E-E) two shuffles in a row. That was frustrating.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

You play a Jack of All Trades.
... You gain a Silver.
... You discard the Grand Market from the top of your deck.
... You draw a Grand Market.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »

You play a Jack of All Trades.
... You gain a Silver.
... You discard the Grand Market from the top of your deck.
... You draw a Grand Market.
I'll take this over $2+P any day

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:36 pm »

Why are you buying 2 Grand Markets in a JOAT game?

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 01:58:25 am »

Having just experienced it... $2P on a Familiar board on turn 5

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »
+1

This doesn't bug me that much, because it doesn't happen that much, but I'll still mention it.

Having an opponent mess up your reshuffle (Spy, Oracle, etc.) when you're carefully managing it.

For instance your current hand is Plat-Plat-Gold-Gold-Spy and your draw pile is empty.
You're thinking: "I won't play Spy this turn, it'll force a reshuffle without my Plats and Golds in!"
And then your opponent plays one...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 12:05:06 pm »

You don't need Familiar anyway, just swallow 10 Curses in 14 turns, trash them all eventually and win!

Been wanting to post that miraculous game for some time.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 01:51:15 am »

A very slow game (due to card selection) against a very slow opponent (due to, who knows, brain damage?) who never talks.

OMG this game has gone on for almost half an hour.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 02:31:39 am »

Having just experienced it... $2P on a Familiar board on turn 5

Pretty certain I've experienced $2P on both T5 and T8.  I think I then resigned.

elephantdog

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 06:11:43 am »
+1

A very slow game (due to card selection) against a very slow opponent (due to, who knows, brain damage?) who never talks.

OMG this game has gone on for almost half an hour.

I think that online people deserve more slack for taking a while. People often play while they're doing something else, especially in3-4p games where each person might be taking a mega-turn. A RL game often takes around 30 minutes (if you're lucky). People who have slow internet/aren't chained to their computers/want to think carefully about their choices deserve the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion, because I know that there are times when I'm going to be in the same boat.

One of my big pet peeves is people who resign by choice in 3p games. The extra provinces make everything cumbersome and I've built a 3p deck for a 2p game.

or KC/Possession. But is that pet peeve, or burning hatred?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
+1

I think that online people deserve more slack for taking a while.

I don't really agree with this.  I think this one gets my vote for biggest pet-peeve.

People often play while they're doing something else...

This is just rude.  People who do this are making another person sit and wait so that they can spend time on something else.  (Obviously, it is possible to do something else while playing Dominion and still be responsive to the game.  That is not what I am talking about.)  Some people are new, and are slow to play.  This has never bothered me (as long as I am aware that is the reason); however, there are times, where the person on the other end is clearly not paying attention to the game and just takes ages to play the game.  They are slow to play cards, slow to start turns, and slow to respond to player interaction.  This is extremely inconsiderate, and anyone who does it should step back and think about the fact that there is an actual person on the other end of that computer interface.  If you really can't be bothered to respect another human being's time, please play Androminion or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.