Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: What is your favorite Dominion Downer?  (Read 40683 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: What is your favorite Dominion Downer?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:30 am »

Not really in the spirit of the thread, but accepting a game that has minions or a torturer/village engine without noticing. I just hate minions so much.
Boo for your anti-random spirit!

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:31 am »
+6

My absolute favorite misfortune ever due to RAW EXPOSURE is buying exactly two terminals and having them collide THE ENTIRE GAME.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:47 am »
+3

Not really in the spirit of the thread, but accepting a game that has minions or a torturer/village engine without noticing. I just hate minions so much.
Boo for your anti-random spirit!

Are you saying Boo or Boo-urns?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »
+2

You should play in veto mode then, that's one of the reasons it's there for.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »

I leave it on don't care, but I feel like if I make it so I always play in veto mode, I'll miss being able to play against a decent population of people on the site.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:17 pm »
+3

I leave it on don't care, but I feel like if I make it so I always play in veto mode, I'll miss being able to play against a decent population of people on the site.

Yeah, one of my peeves is people who sit in auto-match and decline matches.  It makes me reluctant to accept any matches from them after that since I can't shake the feeling that they're specializing in a certain combo (or at the very least playing with boards they're strong at) and just waiting till it shows up randomly.  And most of the time I keep getting automatched with them after I decline the second, third, fourth times.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:29 pm »
+2

Yeah, one of my peeves is people who sit in auto-match and decline matches.  It makes me reluctant to accept any matches from them after that since I can't shake the feeling that they're specializing in a certain combo (or at the very least playing with boards they're strong at) and just waiting till it shows up randomly.  And most of the time I keep getting automatched with them after I decline the second, third, fourth times.

Sometimes I look at a set of cards, and it has Sea Hag and Torturer and all this crap and I go, I'm just not in the mood for this right now. Given that the overall goal is enjoyment, I feel like this is fair. I'm not trying to get cards I'll be better at, I'm just trying to play a game that I won't suffer through.

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »

Sometimes I look at a set of cards, and it has Sea Hag and Torturer and all this crap and I go, I'm just not in the mood for this right now. Given that the overall goal is enjoyment, I feel like this is fair. I'm not trying to get cards I'll be better at, I'm just trying to play a game that I won't suffer through.

Although it bothers me from time to time when someone does this, I'll admit that if I was just torturer lock downed, I'd prefer to play a game without them. I much prefer people who decline games due to a specific card to people who decline games based on their opponent.

I will add two new ones to the list though:

- Losing when you were second player and would have won on your turn.

- Not exactly a downer, but : Playing a player who is significantly rated higher than you who does things that you don't understand, and you precede to win. It really bugs me when my opponent is someone I expect to lose to, they do something really bizarre and it doesn't seem to go any where. Were they experimenting, or was I a turn away from being completely crushed? It's the way I felt when I first played people who knew how to use chapel correctly, but we were playing 4 player (in real life) and chapelling into a strategy doesn't work as well if the other 3 players manage to get enough of the provinces first. At least when I play someone who I expect to beat, and they do something odd that doesn't work out I don't wonder what was going on, I just assume they made a mistake. </rant>

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:16 pm »
+1

- Not exactly a downer, but : Playing a player who is significantly rated higher than you who does things that you don't understand, and you precede to win. It really bugs me when my opponent is someone I expect to lose to, they do something really bizarre and it doesn't seem to go any where. Were they experimenting, or was I a turn away from being completely crushed? It's the way I felt when I first played people who knew how to use chapel correctly, but we were playing 4 player (in real life) and chapelling into a strategy doesn't work as well if the other 3 players manage to get enough of the provinces first. At least when I play someone who I expect to beat, and they do something odd that doesn't work out I don't wonder what was going on, I just assume they made a mistake. </rant>

It's probably foolish to assume higher ranked players can play all kingdoms better and lower ranked players play all kingdoms worse. Dominion can be quite varied and people have different strengths. Ranking is basically just an average over many many kingdom possibilities.

That said, as a high ranked player, I do experiment sometimes. And sometimes it backfires horribly. Also if you see a strange strategy being played, and it doesn't work out, it can sometimes be attributed to luck, not poor strategy. It's often very difficult to separate thsoe two over one game. But really, you could just ask the other play what they were thinking after the game.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:31 pm »
+1

Here's one that I keep running into:
- Setting the game up so you'll be able to win next turn with all but horrible shuffle luck, and then of course having that bad luck (for example drawing KC-KC-Col-Col-Col) so your opponent wins instead.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 03:42:18 pm »

Not saying you *actually* do that, it's just what I irrationally feel.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »
+5

I voted for drawing initial buys on turn 5, but another big downer is opening with Baron/Remake/Salvager/Island/etc. and drawing it with 4 coppers the first time.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:47 am »

Being swindled two turns in a row from Province to Peddler.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »
+1

I found something even worse than drawing your two openers on turn 5. Having them set to be drawn on turn 5 and having Oracle hit them. Then not drawing either of them until turn 8 (this actually happened to me in an IRL game last night)

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »

I found something even worse than drawing your two openers on turn 5. Having them set to be drawn on turn 5 and having Oracle hit them. Then not drawing either of them until turn 8 (this actually happened to me in an IRL game last night)

In that case doesn't oracle HAVE to be one of your openers? Unless you are saying that oracle killed one of your turn 3/4 buys.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 01:02:14 pm »

In that case doesn't oracle HAVE to be one of your openers? Unless you are saying that oracle killed one of your turn 3/4 buys.

Sounds to me that Oracle was an opponent's opener.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 01:04:51 pm »

...And I am dumb. Forgot about that whole attack of Oracle. Carry on then.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:05 pm »
+1

While getting one of your opening buys on turn 5 hurts, I don't think it ever hurts more than when that buy was Chapel.

Also, I think everyone can relate to a classic.  It's a Province game nearing the end, and you draw $7.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 04:25:22 pm »

I went mine/mint which was more of a vote for confusing cards in general (I have not actually mistaken mine for mint yet) one of my favorite (least favorite) misreads of the kingdom which I do a ton is not realizing it is a colony game until turn 6 or 7. This is usually not as bad as most of the others on this list, but I do it so often (like every other colony game it seems) that I have to hate it the most.
Gah, yes! You plan out a decent strat, play well -- in a non-Colony setting -- for several turns, then an opponent buys a Platinum (possibly after you have a Province), *look of shock, followed by face-palm* I vote for adding this to the survey, just because I'm curious if we're not the only ones.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »
+1

I went mine/mint which was more of a vote for confusing cards in general (I have not actually mistaken mine for mint yet) one of my favorite (least favorite) misreads of the kingdom which I do a ton is not realizing it is a colony game until turn 6 or 7. This is usually not as bad as most of the others on this list, but I do it so often (like every other colony game it seems) that I have to hate it the most.
Gah, yes! You plan out a decent strat, play well -- in a non-Colony setting -- for several turns, then an opponent buys a Platinum (possibly after you have a Province), *look of shock, followed by face-palm* I vote for adding this to the survey, just because I'm curious if we're not the only ones.

I do this all the time.  Most recently, I got a half dozen turns into a crazy Counting House strategy only to realize it was a Colony game.  I lost, but I'd have likely won on my next turn, so I still felt good about it given the circumstances.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 07:05:59 pm »

My newest Dominion Downer: Got my ass kicked 3 straight times by WanderingWinder, didn't even get on his livestream for any feedback. How sad.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »

My newest Dominion Downer: Got my ass kicked 3 straight times by WanderingWinder, didn't even get on his livestream for any feedback. How sad.

You should have asked for some help/advice/thoughts afterward! I've been busier and thus recording less recently, though I want to make a new batch of videos soon.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »

You should have asked for some help/advice/thoughts afterward! I've been busier and thus recording less recently, though I want to make a new batch of videos soon.

It's all right, a lot of stuff was pretty clear in retrospect, like how silly it was to not get a tactician. Next time I'll be sure to ask though =)

cdnza

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 12:14:26 pm »

2P on familiar boards is so frustrating. pretty much gg unless your opponent also hits 2P

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:40 am »

- Losing when you were second player and would have won on your turn.

You've just described two of my favourite Dominion Uppers!

A closely lost match usually means a match that was against an opponent that was well suited to my skill level. If I win by  a large margin, its usually a little disappointing as my opponnent's skill level would have meant that I might as well have being solitaire. If I lose by a large margin, its usually because I'm trying something new and unconventional and it goes belly up, or I'm so tired that my judgment fails. But if its close, that normally means I've played well, my opponent has played well, and the game has come down to a test of brinksmanship and fortune. That suits me fine!

As for beating higher ranked players, I love it! I've not yet played a higher ranked player and though that I won because their skill was lacking. THAT would be disappointing, sure. Each time I've beaten someone of higher rank its been because I've managed to play to or beyond their high level, or because I've had recognisable good fortune.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.