Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Resources for "New to Dominion" page  (Read 1928 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Resources for "New to Dominion" page
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:26:49 pm »
+4

The New to Dominion page doesn't take full advantage of the resources that have been created in recent years that may be particularly helpful for new players. So let's use this thread to suggest additional resources.

A few of my suggestions:
Burning Skull's How to Base Dominion video series seems like a great resource for new players once they are familiar with what the cards in the base set do. 

I'd recommend also adding video(s) on how to play Dominion. Adam Horton has a recent tutorial.  Though I haven't watched it yet, he seems to have a good handle on making beginner-friendly content, so I'd expect this to be good as well.

I would also recommend Wandering Winder's 5 fundamental deck types article series: https://dominionstrategy.com/2013/01/21/the-five-fundamental-deck-types-introduction/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Resources for "New to Dominion" page
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 12:41:00 am »
+1

I am going to incorporate your suggestions right now.  8)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:27:57 am »
+4

The glossary page is still using Spy as an example of a cantrip and chancellor as an example of cycling and could probably do with an update.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:33 pm »

Because of the replacement of not very useful cards in 2e Base Set and 2e Intrigue with more useful (and more non-terminal) actions, even among players who own very few sets simple money strategies are much less likely to be reasonable than they used to be. 

Maybe a note could be added that “engine” (action-heavy) strategies are more favored than at the time these articles were written because of changes in the card pool, including the changes in Dominion 2nd edition compared to the 1st edition.

In addition, the Guide to Dominion Base game article, which is linked to in the “New to Dominion” page, is pretty obsolete because the card pool has changed so much in the 2e Base Set. Consider not linking to this from the New to Dominion page.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
+1

I'm planning to write an article for the blog talking about the 2nd edition base set.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.