Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Official Dominion Strategy Podcast  (Read 11402 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Official Dominion Strategy Podcast
« on: September 16, 2017, 02:01:04 am »
+12

Hey guys,

Well, here it is, the first episode of The Outpost. I admit, I'm fairly new to the Podcast thing, so any constructive criticism is welcome. This week Seprix hosted, but we will be interchanging who leads each week. The goal is to also have a special guest each week from the Dominion Community. I am talking with someone right now, but they haven't been locked in yet. It's a matter of everyone's schedules meshing together. Anyway, without further ado, here is the Podcast. https://dominionstrategy.com/2017/09/16/the-outpost-a-dominion-podcast-the-beginning/

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dominion Strategy Podcast
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 04:27:58 am »

hey guys!

Listened to it, it's very cool, hope to be your guest one day ;)

Improvement-wise, I think that it would be much better if some quiet wordless music would play in the background, Seprix has this stuff, I know :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

TonyStark

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:01:49 pm »
+1

It's a good start and I look forward to more. My main suggestion would be to give the full details of a card before discussing it. I listen to several X-Wing miniatures podcasts, and this is something almost everyone forgets to do. The podcasters and many of their listeners will know what everything does, yes, but those who don't are completely in the dark and the podcast fails to shed light for much of its audience (and worse, they don't back for more).

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:50:19 pm »
+4

Is this available via standard podcast apps?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:00:25 pm »
+3

hey guys!

Listened to it, it's very cool, hope to be your guest one day ;)

Improvement-wise, I think that it would be much better if some quiet wordless music would play in the background, Seprix has this stuff, I know :)

I object. I've never listened to a podcast with background music and I don't intend to start.

I already commented at length on Discord. summary: I like it, keep it up and make small improvements.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:01:46 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:26:00 am »
+1

I think the podcast would have more audience if it were shorter, I'am a bit discouraged by this 50min lenght (however, I'm not the main audience since I do not understand english very well, especially listening)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 08:44:50 am »
+1

I think the podcast would have more audience if it were shorter, I'am a bit discouraged by this 50min lenght (however, I'm not the main audience since I do not understand english very well, especially listening)

While normal videos should certainly aim to be short, the audience for podcasts typically wants something lengthy, as they listen to them during long commutes or work.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 11:22:57 am »
+1

While normal videos should certainly aim to be short, the audience for podcasts typically wants something lengthy, as they listen to them during long commutes or work.

I agree, but then I think YouTube is a bad delivery service. Not everyone has mobile data or has WiFi on their commutes, so I think it's important that it's easy to be able to download the podcast and listen to it offline

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:32:00 am »
+3

I agree, but then I think YouTube is a bad delivery service. Not everyone has mobile data or has WiFi on their commutes, so I think it's important that it's easy to be able to download the podcast and listen to it offline

I think podcasts are meant to be lengthy and fill the role of detailed in-depth discussion that some people seek but have trouble finding due to lack of people willing to supply it. 50 minutes for a podcast actually seems like it's on the short side.

The long length of a podcast is probably not ideal for a large chunk of the playerbase. I think I've seen podcasts be accompanied by an abridged version of it or even a completely separate summary video or else a shorter video inspired by the discussion of the podcast.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 11:46:55 am »

It is easy to be able to download YouTube videos (or just the audio if you want that).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:26 pm »
+1

This looks really cool!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »
+1

It is easy to be able to download YouTube videos (or just the audio if you want that).

I did download the podcast to listen to it, but I shouldn't have to go to another site or use other software to make a podcast listenable for me. Also, if it's so easy, then my suggestion to make the podcast also available in a downloadable audio format should be easy for BA or Seprix to implement, too. And this isn't even considering the extra level of convenience that would come with integration into iTunes, Google Play, or other similar services. That might be a bit more difficult, though; I don't know.

I may have been too harsh on YouTube podcasts in my original comment, but I think it's a reasonable suggestion that they should consider multiple formats.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 01:57:12 pm »

I shouldn't have to go to another site or use other software to make a podcast listenable for me.

Regardless of where they upload it, you will have to go to that site (i.e. another site) to download it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 02:02:28 pm »
+7

Just remember who you're talking to tripwire, and remember it's not worth it.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
+4

I did download the podcast to listen to it, but I shouldn't have to go to another site or use other software to make a podcast listenable for me. Also, if it's so easy, then my suggestion to make the podcast also available in a downloadable audio format should be easy for BA or Seprix to implement, too. And this isn't even considering the extra level of convenience that would come with integration into iTunes, Google Play, or other similar services. That might be a bit more difficult, though; I don't know.

I may have been too harsh on YouTube podcasts in my original comment, but I think it's a reasonable suggestion that they should consider multiple formats.

Yeah I think it's fine to have it primarily in video format, but if I can't get the audio via Overcast or whatever it's probably a no go for me. Otherwise I'm not really sure it's a podcast, which is fine, but then just call it a youtube channel.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »
+3

Yeah I think it's fine to have it primarily in video format, but if I can't get the audio via Overcast or whatever it's probably a no go for me. Otherwise I'm not really sure it's a podcast, which is fine, but then just call it a youtube channel.

I agree with this. There are several podcasts I listen to that are just the audio of a video show. While my preference is for podcasts that are designed to be audio-only, these audio-from-video versions are usually pretty good. 

But yeah, if it's not somewhere my podcatcher will see it (in this case, the iOS Podcasts app and iTunes), there's less than a 1% chance I'll ever listen to it.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 05:12:55 pm »

I liked it, and I'm really excited to listen to each new one.  Good work!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 02:07:29 pm »
+1

Re: the recent episode with Dan Brooks.

Funkdoc coined the name "WeedGoku69" in describing his opponents. Seprix is innocent!

hello, kind of a long story here but i thought this was interesting and worth discussing...

so sometimes i can't find anybody within 1000 rating points of me, and i just set matchmaking to play anyone.  a lot of these people will gain you like 5 points if you win and cost you like 80 if you lose, and dominion is a swingy enough game that your MF rating will drop like a rock if you play enough of these folks.

however, even on my worst losing streaks to these players, my iso rating wouldn't drop much at all!  i'd always remain quite a bit higher than i was at my lowest points when i was just playing evenly-matched opponents.  i suspect this is because i was still winning a much higher % of games overall, and perhaps you could argue that's a better way of doing it.  it just doesn't feel right to me that if i cared about nothing but iso, i should dodge Titandrake and spend all night playing against WeedGoku69.  i'm curious if others have noticed this and if i'm alone in feeling this way...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 12:12:07 am »
+8

Newest episode is up.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:32 am »

It's a good start and I look forward to more. My main suggestion would be to give the full details of a card before discussing it. I listen to several X-Wing miniatures podcasts, and this is something almost everyone forgets to do. The podcasters and many of their listeners will know what everything does, yes, but those who don't are completely in the dark and the podcast fails to shed light for much of its audience (and worse, they don't back for more).
I'm listening to a Sliders podcast, and it IS nice how they briefly do a recap of the episode they're going to talk about, eventually covering more details as it goes underway.

Before I memorized most of the cards, I would use Jack Of All Dominion (for Android) as a card reference guide so I'd know what folks were talking about.

Curious... what would be your ideal length?
For me, 20 to 75 minutes usually does it for me.  Shorter is nicer in being able to finish it more easily, although I do just whip out my PDA and "set a bookmark" there if I need to resume from the same episode/track.  Too short, and it's too much downloading.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 07:10:28 am »

Have you guys made any more moves towards getting the podcast up on the iTunes store (where basically all podcast apps can get it from?) I love podcasts to listen to on commutes and in the lab off of my phone but I'm never going to sit in front of a computer and listen to an hour+ podcast on youtube.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 07:19:54 am »
+2

Have you guys made any more moves towards getting the podcast up on the iTunes store (where basically all podcast apps can get it from?) I love podcasts to listen to on commutes and in the lab off of my phone but I'm never going to sit in front of a computer and listen to an hour+ podcast on youtube.

This. As an avid podcast listener and sometimes Dominion player, I'm very much in the market for this, but not if I have to go on Youtube for it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:42 am »
+3

Another thing that some longer shows do which is sometimes nice is to give a brief rundown of topics discussed with the corresponding time stamps in the episode notes. That way you know where to skip to if you want to hear just one particular portion of the episode.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 04:15:00 pm »

Another thing that some longer shows do which is sometimes nice is to give a brief rundown of topics discussed with the corresponding time stamps in the episode notes. That way you know where to skip to if you want to hear just one particular portion of the episode.

I like this.  I for one enjoy how long they are, and I'd still listen even if it was a 2 hour podcast.  With this idea, it can be good for everyone, whether they want it long or short.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 09:23:55 am »
+2

I just watched the 4th episode and I think while you mentioned the artist's website, it's not linked aynwhere.

I think you should include such a link in the description.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.