Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Chappy's Cards  (Read 3138 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Chappy's Cards
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:04:42 pm »
+2

After some help with getting me over my technical difficulties, here are some of my card ideas. Ready, go! Tell me what is broken about them! (or if they are just super cool and balanced by some miracle, you can go ahead and tell me that too)

All right, I know this won't be much good unless you get cursed, but I thought it was kinda cool.

This one is priced the way it is because I wanted it to be available early.  I still considered making it $3 and 3 debt.

I've made several cards with this choose at the end of your action phase effect, although I'm not posting many of them yet. Lots of them still need serious work.  It could be pretty valuable to get the $2 if you are just short of what you need.  But if you aren't short, then you can still benefit with +2 cards!

I don't want this to end up like harvest...It could be really good with the right engine, but does it need a +buy? Something else?

I thought this was fun.

I think these are my favorites.  I haven't played with this at all, so I actually have no idea if it is really good or not good at all, but I think the idea is cool.

This could be really good I think.  Although nobody likes buying treasure any more so it might end up being in the sad treasure focused club with adventurer.  But if it gets paired with gold, platinum, or anything big like bank or charm, it could get crazy.  Maybe too crazy.  Plus it's nuts with capital.  (my wife made fun of me for making the picture fruit trees....it made sense in my head)

Okay, I need to put it on the cards, but when either of these are in the kingdom you add two random piles to the kingdom. (4 if both are in the kingdom) Kind of a pseudo black market. They have some wording that needs to be worked out, and occult is meant to make everything cost 1 less, not negative 1.  Had some help naming and getting the picture on that one from ThetaSigma12.

I have two attempts at this.  Would the sort of effect just blow up the whole game? I think it is cool, but it seems like it would have a lot of crazy rule issues. Anyways, you can gain a card, then cover it up with a lame and/or expensive card so others have a harder time gaining it. 

I like this one.  It would get crazy in 3+ player games, but hey, so do a lot of cards.

I like this one too.

Here's another one of the delayed choice cards. 

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Chappy's Cards
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:46:38 pm »
+1

- Blessing is a delayed Village that converts Curses into Coppers. First 'convert Curses into something good' idea I like and probably balanced at 3. Formally you gotta call it an Action - Duration.
- Carpenter is too good. Cards that can gain 5s like Altar and Artisan are expensive for a reason and discarding a copper is a small price to pay for gaining a 5 during turn 3 or 4.
- Councillor is weak. The first option is worse than Enchantress and the second option is a delayed Woodcutter. Probably OK at a price of 2 or 3. Formally you can make it all orange like all other Action - Durations.
- Haunted Village is OK but you only want that Curse with good trashing as you gotta draw into the junk (so it is kind of +like 2 Cards now, -1 Card later)
- In the Secret History section you can see that Hunt was done as a Treasure by DXV for Empires and deemed too weak.
- I like Illusionist's attack but perhaps attach it to something not as good as gaining, like +$2.
- Inventor-Invention reminds me of Bishop-Fortress. Sure, you cannot play it constantly but it nets 4VPs and I am sure that the Inventor pile will often be emptied (even if just to trash Inventors with Inventors). You might wanna add a round down rule to the text. I'd also either nerf the card and/or make it more distinct from Bishop.
- I guess that Invest is a 5. Or make it non-terminal or a Treasure. If you set aside 2 Silver you get -4 now and +8 later. That's the same net amount of coins as Merchant Ship provides with the difference being that this is more like a reverse Capital: get a huge amount of Coins in the following turn. Perhaps add an extra buy for the following turn, otherwise this might be too unreliable (just imagien Capital without the extra buy).
- I like Key and Occult and the idea of two extra Kingdom piles.
- I like Ritualists' idea of blocking a pile with other cards but the first version is too good in terms of virtually always being bought instead of directly buying the 5 you actually want.
- The idea of Rebel is good but the actual card is a bit weak. Perhaps make it a 3?
- Rival Village is a cool Copper junker.
- Sure, you cannot use the Coin tokens during the current turn but that second option of Scholar seems too strong.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:57:12 pm »
+1

-Blessing reminds me of Multitalented's Darkness. I don't like your card as much as his.
-Carpenter is too strong. won't work. The whole card seems kinda bland.
-Councilor should be all Orange. I see no reason why this can't choose now instead of later.
-Haunted Village is busted.
-Hunt is a terminal version of an old card Donald tested. Treasure , name a card, worth per copy of that card in play. It was scrapped, but you can see a fan version of it in my thread. I'm guessing the Action version is way worse, it should cost . And without terminals, it sucks.
-Illusionist is interesting, but a bit too cliche for me. Just another curser.
-Inventor is cool, though Invention should probably cost way, way less.
-Invest is okay.
-Key is really cool (I think it's been done before), but I think Occult isn't worth it.
-I like the second Ritualist a lot. It could be funky rules-wise, but I like it.
-Rebel doesn't seem worth it. Boring cost increasing.
-Rival Village is interesting, but Copper junking seems annoying. And the Village and Copper counter each other.
-Scholar is great, but overpowered. It should give out 2 coin tokens.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:57:03 pm »
+1

Your cards are just super cool and balanced by some miracle. Well, mostly.

Blessing should probably just let you discard cards for +1$ per card. Much easier than altering Curses, which aren't even going to be in every game.

Carpenter should probably just cost <8> or no debt at all. Is there a specific reason why the gained 4$ goes to the bottom of your deck?

I agree with ThetaSigma that you should choose Councilor's effect next turn, and that it should be all orange. Even if you want the choice to be now, it's a tracking nightmare. Also, I think it should cost 3$ or even 2$.

Haunted Village is an "interact with Curse card", and I don't really care about those. They always are either super strong with good trashing or super awful without.

Hunt is what Horn of Plenty used to be, before Donald made it a Treasure, made it count only unique cards, and made it not add to your total. Let's just assume he didn't do so out of boredom.

I like Illusionist. Actually, I think it's a card I wouldn't change much if I had thought of it. Well, maybe I'd try to make it "gain a card costing up to 4$. Each other player may reveal a copy of it..." instead. This way, the two parts are connected. Either way, I like it a lot.

I think Inventor is too expensive. It should probably just lose the action and instead give the total in coins, making it a Salvager variant.

Invest looks like a less flexible delayed double Crown. Not too hot, sorry.

I like Key. The name is also cute for a treasure <3 Probably a bit too strong though.

Occult (is that an adjective?) is some weird Urchin-restricted-Highway combination... A bit too strong, maybe? Also, it has too much going on. Which really isn't the case for a lot of your cards - a quality in your set I praise.

Ritualist(s)... The idea to put cards on top of another pile turns up so often... My feelings here are a bit like the curse interaction thing.

For Rebel, I think giving <> on buy is the better way to do this, as it doesn't lock people completely out (just like Embargo doesn't do that). See my take on the "cost increase" concept as implemented on Scribe (formerly Extortioner).

Rival Village: ThetaSigma12 said all I intended to say here.

I tend to agree the coin token option on Scholar is too much. 2 seems bad, on the other hand.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:59:24 pm by Asper »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:56:09 am »

Blessing.  Oh yeah, definitely should be action-duration. 

Oh,  Councilor is supposed to offer you $2 and a buy this turn or 2 cards next turn.  That is why I had it only half orange.  Maybe I should just make it next turn anyways.

Carpenter. My reasoning behind putting the card on the bottom of your deck is that I wanted it to be worse than armory if you don't choose to discard a treasure.  This way your gained card most likely misses a shuffle.

I see that it is probably too strong, but I still think it could be okay with $3 and 3 debt.  I mean, chapel is amazingly powerful, yet priced at 2 to make it easily accessible. This one is accessible, but you'd have to basically take both of your starting turns to get it and pay off the debt.

I don't want to give up on carpenter yet!

Hunt. oops, I didn't remember that secret history card.  Do you think that hunt would be any good if it had a +buy on it? Or is it still to weak?

"Inventor is cool, though Invention should probably cost way, way less." The idea was to make it expensive, but not that good, so you would want to trash it with inventor.  I thought the was fine since you can't buy it from the supply anyways, and since inventor doesn't let you remodel it into province.

"reminds me of Bishop-Fortress. Sure, you cannot play it constantly but it nets 4VPs and I am sure that the Inventor pile will often be emptied"

This provides coins, not points.  I thought inventor/invention was pretty okay, because unless you pair it up with an invention, it is pretty comparable to forager, which would be bad for a $5 card.  Then, once you get it with your inventions, it is probably better than a usual $5, kind of evening things out.

Invest I'll try invest at $5.

Key.  I do really like playing with the extra 2 kingdom piles.  It's really fun, and less swingy than black market, since the cards are equally accessible to both/all players.

oc·cult

noun
supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena.

I'll have to test this card out a bit more and see if it is under/over powered.

Rival Village Any suggestions on how to keep the idea yet improve the card? I still kinda like it, so I don't want to give up on it.

Scholar. You are probably right.  1 action 3 coin tokens is a lot.  I guess 2 coin tokens isn't too bad since you also can choose the other option. 

Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:22:02 pm by Chappy7 »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:59:36 am »
+2

Also, it has too much going on. Which really isn't the case for a lot of your cards - a quality in your set I praise.

Oh, and thank you! That is one of my main problems with most fan cards, so I was aiming for as much simplicity as I could.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:44:47 am »

Carpenter. My reasoning behind putting the card on the bottom of your deck is that I wanted it to be worse than armory if you don't choose to discard a treasure.  This way your gained card most likely misses a shuffle.

So, why doesn't Carpenter just gain the card normally? That's worse than putting it under your deck and takes less words.

Hunt. oops, I didn't remember that secret history card.  Do you think that hunt would be any good if it had a +buy on it? Or is it still to weak?

It should probably be a Treasure, because some kingdoms might not have nonterminals, or at least none you want to spam, or at least none that make this worthwhile taking a terminal slot. And if you make it a Treasure, well, it's similar to HoP. I guess that's its main issue - fixing it means making it more similar to something that exists. It's like a veto reaction, which is altered in several steps to make it less annoying, and ends up being Enchantress. You get what I mean. I don't see much hopre for this one.

oc·cult

noun

Okay... I mean, I guess it's a noun... But isn't it mostly just an adjective made a noun? If I say "the disappointed never stop complaining", that makes "disappointed" a noun, but i's not something you'd put on a card, is it? Maybe this is a horrible language fail by me, but even "The occult" would make more sense to me. Can somebody confirm I'm being dumb?

Rival Village Any suggestions on how to keep the idea yet improve the card? I still kinda like it, so I don't want to give up on it.

I don't know... Maybe just give one Copper on gain and that's it?

Scholar. You are probably right.  1 action 3 coin tokens is a lot.  I guess 2 coin tokens isn't too bad since you also can choose the other option. 

Being able to choose between two situational options is fine - you should just make sure it's not "being able to choose between two bad options".
Thinking about it, this is VERY similar to Charm, in that it gives you the choice between gaining a copy or receiving +2$. Both parts here are not strictly better, just with shifted advantages. Given that the card costs more and can be drawn dead, I'm not sure it's going to be great always, but perhaps okay. Might be able to just be a Treasure. Call it "Mojo"  :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:50:48 am by Asper »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:15:56 am »

Blessing is neither an Action, nor a Treasure card, so how can you play it?

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:39 pm »

Blessing is neither an Action, nor a Treasure card, so how can you play it?

It's meant to be action duration

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 12:27:37 pm »
+1

So, why doesn't Carpenter just gain the card normally? That's worse than putting it under your deck and takes less words.
I guess I could do that.  I just thought that would be kinda lame compared to other gainers since this is more expensive, but it would probably be okay since the other effect is so cool. 

Really I just wanted it to pair with pearl diver ;)

oc·cult

noun

Okay... I mean, I guess it's a noun... But isn't it mostly just an adjective made a noun? If I say "the disappointed never stop complaining", that makes "disappointed" a noun, but i's not something you'd put on a card, is it? Maybe this is a horrible language fail by me, but even "The occult" would make more sense to me. Can somebody confirm I'm being dumb?

I actually had this called secret originally, occult was a suggestion from ThetaSigma12 and it came with a really cool picture, so I liked it. 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:28:45 pm by Chappy7 »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 06:02:36 pm »

I still haven't had the time/will to change that first group of cards, but I had this idea the other day.  What should this thing cost? Or should it just not exist?

You could end up naming $400 and just look through all of your cards, discard 2 of them, and then choose the order of your entire deck (without drawing a card).  Or you could name $5 and make sure you draw one nice card (or a duchy).  If you do that you will have limited deck organization.

Is organizing your whole deck as an option too good? I mean, if you have a super thin deck it won't matter too much, but if you have limited trashing and have several curses/ruins/stop cards, this could make sure you can still draw a lot of your deck with only the bare minimum amount of engine components.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 06:07:20 pm »

Organizing your entire deck may be strong, but its actual problem is that it's going to take forever. In a Slog, you're basically stacking your deck optimally for any amount of turns your deck can provide.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:24:40 pm »

Organizing your entire deck may be strong, but its actual problem is that it's going to take forever. In a Slog, you're basically stacking your deck optimally for any amount of turns your deck can provide.

So maybe I should reverse it? I could change it to say "You may put 2 of the revealed cards onto your deck, then discard the rest."  So now it is some kind of double scavenger (sometimes) plus drawing a cost specific card

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »

So maybe I should reverse it? I could change it to say "You may put 2 of the revealed cards onto your deck, then discard the rest."  So now it is some kind of double scavenger (sometimes) plus drawing a cost specific card

Or you could just shuffle your deck. But even if you just discard it, finding a certain price point is fine? It depends on how much the card itself costs. It's Chancellor at worst.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:29:42 pm by Asper »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.