Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Author Topic: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies  (Read 101976 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2022, 07:51:53 pm »

An anti-synergy within the Loot pile: Sword makes Puzzle Box's ability a lot less useful.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 18, 2022, 04:42:16 pm »
+3

Abundance plays really poorly with Night gainers like Vampire
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 19, 2022, 04:54:06 pm »
+6

Way of the Frog before a Journey turn doesn't work at all.

First there's the straightforward fact that you don't discard and hence topdeck it before your Journey turn, that's just the the normal don't-discard drawback of Journey.

But then, after your Journey turn, when discarding, you don't topdeck it either! Because it says "When you discard this from play this turn" and that never happens.
My opponent has more loot than me

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 20, 2022, 06:52:45 pm »
+2

best not to use your Bandit on the 5/2 open when jewelled egg is on the board.  I think I ended up getting like 7 loots because my opponent did this.  applies to other trashers to like Barbarian too.

was able to hit 32 w/ 12 buys on t 13 b4 they resigned (remake was also present which sped it up even more)

https://tinyurl.com/2g7jkuce
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:59:21 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 21, 2022, 12:43:04 am »
+2

The +1 {bonus} tokens from Adventures can be disappointing on Taskmaster, as they don't do anything when Taskmaster's start-of-turn ability triggers.  "Repeat this ability" is not the same as "Play this again."
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2022, 12:58:43 am »
+2

The +1 {bonus} tokens from Adventures can be disappointing on Taskmaster, as they don't do anything when Taskmaster's start-of-turn ability triggers.  "Repeat this ability" is not the same as "Play this again."

That's basically the same concept as all the other Duration cards. Stick an Adventure token on Hireling and you're not getting that bonus every turn
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:17:54 am by mxdata »
They/them

joefarebrother

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: joefarebrother
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 21, 2022, 02:18:40 am »
+2

Friendly Trail looks great: You *discard* a trial to *gain* a trail! Except you do so during cleanup, where trial's ability doesn't work.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 24, 2022, 08:51:58 pm »
+2

Governor + Loot is frustrating, because if you use the trash and gain function on Governor, you run the risk of giving your opponent a Province if they happen to have a Loot in hand
They/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 25, 2022, 04:17:32 pm »
+5

I'm not sure if this counts as an anti-synergy exactly, but Search/Keep makes endgame unpredictable. If you're going to buy the last Province, you better make sure you already have a pretty big lead! Each Search in play when the Province pile is emptied may or may not mean a 5VP swing in favor of its owner!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 04:43:22 pm by AJD »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 05, 2023, 10:40:35 pm »
+4

Frigate can really neuter a Tactician turn.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2023, 10:23:09 am »
+7

Thinking of when Traits are at their worst.

• Cheap Band of Misfits - Still good in some boards but there's more of a chance it can't play anything. Other cards Cheap arguably makes worse: Border Village, Falconer, Berserker, Rats, Raze, Fortress. (Not putting Silver Mine as being $4 more than makes up for not being able to get $4 Treasures with it).
  • Cursed Port - Turns a safe gain into a big gamble, and the Loots don't care about Port's +Actions. 
  • Fated Merchant Camp - It's optional so a card is never worse for being Fated, but sometimes it's not particularly useful. With Merchant Camp, if it's not topdecked there's a reason for it, so the trait ends up being an "are you sure?".
  • Fawning Chapel - Once you're getting Provinces, you probably don't have much use for Chapel. At least Rats is a cantrip that could save a late hand. So it's kind of junk.
  • Friendly Chapel - An optional effect, so can't ever be worse. So what's a card you don't want that many copies of? Where you're likely to need to decline the "Friendly" prompt most often? Edit: Agree with joefarebrother that the false friend that's Friendly Trail is annoying.
  • Hasty Rats - As soon as you buy one, you're going to gain one every turn until the pile runs out and be forced to trash a lot. Maybe not too bad (it's like Cathedral) but having less control over Rats isn't a good thing. Beggar is another card you really don't want to be forced to play.

Edit: Hasty Treasure Maps are pretty much worthless - getting one into your deck requires the same trick as getting a Siren without trashing an Action, and then you have to line it up. Good find by Ethan.
  • Inherited Royal Blacksmith - People don't buy this early for a reason. Watch out for misclicks.
  • Inspiring Rebuild - What's a non terminal card that also doesn't really appreciate other cards in its deck?
  • Nearby Overlord - No real downside, so what's a card where you're unlikely to make use of the on buy +buy? One where you're likely to be in debt after buying, that's much harder to gain through methods other than buying.
  • Patient Swamp Shacks - Can actually be extremely useful with Prepare or Journey. But nothing to make you curse your deck order like seeing the option to play a dead card for little effect next turn.
  • Pious Distant Lands - It's optional, so what's relatively expensive that you mainly want late game.
  • Reckless Tactician - Very thematic. It doesn't work any better than a normal Tactician and you lose it after one battle.
  • Rich Poor House - A paradox reflected in gameplay. You get a free Silver that the Poor House doesn't want to see.
  • Shy Cursed Village? - Surprisingly not Shy Lab or Lost City etc. as you can draw the Shy Lab to play it "again". I thought Cursed Village as something where you probably aren't getting much benefit from discarding it but even then it might be good to do that in some kind of disappearing money engine. These optional ones are hard.
  • Tireless Hireling etc.- Tireless can be meaningless. I really wanted to think of an anti-synergy - a card you want evenly spaced in your deck rather than clumped together (e.g. Throne Room and King's Court). But there's a lot of ways those cards benefit too. So useless Tireless it is.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:25:00 am by NoMoreFun »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2023, 03:37:37 pm »
+2

Shaman + Swindler can sometimes end up helping your opponent, depending on what cards it trashes, since they can get the trashed card back on their next turn

It's especially bad in a game with Feodum. Trash a Feodum, your opponent gets 3 Silvers plus a $4, and then they get their Feodum right back, so you're basically just increasing the value of your opponent's Feoda
They/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2023, 10:57:05 pm »
+2

Shaman + Swindler can sometimes end up helping your opponent, depending on what cards it trashes, since they can get the trashed card back on their next turn

It's especially bad in a game with Feodum. Trash a Feodum, your opponent gets 3 Silvers plus a $4, and then they get their Feodum right back, so you're basically just increasing the value of your opponent's Feoda

It's a real gamble because it's stronger than usual when it hits Curse, Copper and Estate. You probably still want a Swindler but it's a good candidate for late game trashing.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2023, 05:56:59 am »
+2

Shaman does not like Swindler nor other types of net TfB. The meta is to leave only true junk in the trash so your opponent has no choice but to gain true junk.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2023, 01:12:38 pm »
+2

Shaman does not like Swindler nor other types of net TfB. The meta is to leave only true junk in the trash so your opponent has no choice but to gain true junk.

The exception is if something that gives extra turns like Journey is in the game. You can trash for benefit on your regular turn, then get it back on your bonus turn, but yeah, that's certainly true in most cases
They/them

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 03, 2023, 05:35:17 am »
+4

Thinking of when Traits are at their worst.

[...]
  • Tireless Hireling etc.- Tireless can be meaningless. I really wanted to think of an anti-synergy - a card you want evenly spaced in your deck rather than clumped together (e.g. Throne Room and King's Court). But there's a lot of ways those cards benefit too. So useless Tireless it is.
I actually found an antisynergy: Reactions that can be played out of turn, such as Falconer. If you play a normal Falconer on an opponent's turn, it is discarded at the end of your opponent's turn. A Tireless Falconer, on the other hand, is set aside and not put back into your deck until the end of your turn, thus making it impossible to play it again.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 03, 2023, 10:33:39 am »
+3

How so? Tireless doesn't say "end of your turn"; it just says "end of turn".

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 03, 2023, 12:08:00 pm »

How so? Tireless doesn't say "end of your turn"; it just says "end of turn".
Hm, I could swear it happened to me in a game. Is it possible that there's a bug on ShuffleIT?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 15, 2023, 12:39:21 pm »
+8

Fawning on Mint. In a game with few sources of +Coins, no less!

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2023, 01:24:05 am »

Guardian blocks the trashing of a Curse than an Old Witch would normally trash from your hand
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 10:03:43 am by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2023, 08:40:27 pm »

Pickaxe and Canal have a nasty interaction as now you will have to trash base 4 cost cards in order to gain loots.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2023, 10:42:41 pm »

Pickaxe and Canal have a nasty interaction as now you will have to trash base 4 cost cards in order to gain loots.

This is basically the same as Canal and any TFB, right?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2023, 11:10:40 pm »

Canal also makes all base 4 cost cards be $3 for buy/gain purposes, so what are we even complaining about? That there's no longer a loot benefit to trashing your opening silver I guess.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2023, 03:58:42 am »
+6

Bonfire / Charlatan

Really makes you long for the pre-errata version of Bonfire.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2023, 01:20:54 am »
+1

Way of the Frog before a Journey turn doesn't work at all.

First there's the straightforward fact that you don't discard and hence topdeck it before your Journey turn, that's just the the normal don't-discard drawback of Journey.

But then, after your Journey turn, when discarding, you don't topdeck it either! Because it says "When you discard this from play this turn" and that never happens.

Hunh. Now I'm wondering why the wording "this turn" was used there
They/them
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.