Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies  (Read 101968 times)

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies
« Reply #250 on: October 30, 2019, 06:38:33 pm »

I'd call a couple of Duplicates to get more Gold from my Leprechaun - oops, now it's a Hex

Duplicating the Golds won’t get you hexed. Sceptering or Royal Carriaging the Leprechaun will, though.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2019, 07:40:45 pm »
+6

I'd call a couple of Duplicates to get more Gold from my Leprechaun - oops, now it's a Hex

Duplicating the Golds won’t get you hexed. Sceptering or Royal Carriaging the Leprechaun will, though.

He's talking about if Leprachaun was your 7th card in play--calling the duplicate gives you another gold and puts the duplicate in play (making you now have 8 cards in play before the instructions on Leprachaun continue) before the rest of the instructions on Leprachaun resolves. I just tried it online, and it does give you a Hex this way. You can simply avoid this by making Leprachaun the 6th card in play before you call the Duplicate, though.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2019, 06:43:35 pm »

That feels kinda wrong to me.

If the card had said "If you have exactly 7 cards in play, gain a Wish. If you do not have exactly 7 cards in play, receive a Hex." then I'd agree with that interpretation. But "If X then A. Otherwise B." very strongly suggests that you do B if X did not hold when you tested it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2019, 08:53:55 pm »
+2

If the card had said "If you have exactly 7 cards in play, gain a Wish. If you do not have exactly 7 cards in play, receive a Hex." then I'd agree with that interpretation. But "If X then A. Otherwise B." very strongly suggests that you do B if X did not hold when you tested it.

But on the card, the "If X then A" check comes after the Gold gain, in a separate sentence. You are only testing for the seven cards after the Gold gain. So, if you call Duplicate on the Gold, you'll have an extra card in play when it comes time to decide between Hex or Wish.

In case people forgot, you get the Gold from Leprechaun either way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:56:57 pm by markusin »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 01, 2019, 01:42:08 am »
+1

This point would apply if they were talking about calling a Duplicate in response to gaining the Wish (which you can do, although it won’t get you a second Wish). In that case, I expect you are right; you won’t receive the Hex.  The if was already fulfilled; so you won’t do the else/otherwise.

But they are talking about calling it in response to the Gold, which all happens before the if/else.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2019, 10:38:16 am »

This point would apply if they were talking about calling a Duplicate in response to gaining the Wish (which you can do, although it won’t get you a second Wish). In that case, I expect you are right; you won’t receive the Hex.  The if was already fulfilled; so you won’t do the else/otherwise.

But they are talking about calling it in response to the Gold, which all happens before the if/else.

I tried using Duplicate on the gaining of Wish to see what would happen in Dominion Online. You're correct--you don't get a second Wish, and you don't get a Hex, either.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »

This is actually kind of surprising to me. I guess "otherwise" means 'if the thing in the previous sentence didn't happen', not 'if you don't meet the condition in the previous sentence'. If it were the latter, I would expect a Hex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2019, 01:05:29 pm »
+3

This is actually kind of surprising to me. I guess "otherwise" means 'if the thing in the previous sentence didn't happen', not 'if you don't meet the condition in the previous sentence'. If it were the latter, I would expect a Hex.

I have always read "otherwise" as the English version of "else" in programming languages. And I think common English usage backs this up... people generally will read "otherwise" as meaning you will only ever do one or the other; never both.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2019, 07:58:58 pm »

(Yeah, OK - I thought we were talking about calling Duplicate on the Wish-gaining, not the Gold-gaining. Though I accept in hindsight that's pretty unlikely given you wouldn't actually get a second Wish that way!)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:37 am »
+5

Using Madman via Innovation. Whoops.

leapoffaith24

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: leapoffaith24
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2019, 03:41:13 pm »

Ghost/Golem and Beggar!! OOF

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2019, 10:35:08 pm »

Not exactly an anti-synergy, but since it's new and some might think it lays opposite, if you have capitalism in play and play a Storyteller it only counts as one coin, not the 5 my opponent hoped would happen when luckily he played it before i did (and was going to try it until then).  Which kinda doesn't make sense, if you get like 5 coins from playing a IGG why wouldn't story teller count as 5 if it has a 5 coin amount on it?
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2019, 10:47:16 pm »

actually just read the text closer, and i guess it makes sense.  I guess I never read it that close. It only specifies the costs of the 3 coins you play not storyteller. Still good to know.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2020, 09:13:43 am »
+1

Cardinal/Gatekeeper and Knights

At least trashing attacks give you the potential to get your Knight back with Lurker or Graverobber. Exiling a Knight means they’re gone forever.

Extra painful for Sir Vander. Now you can’t even get a lousy Gold!

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2020, 09:19:41 am »
+1

At least trashing attacks give you the potential to get your Knight back with Lurker or Graverobber. Exiling a Knight means they’re gone forever.

unless Transport is in the kingdom

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2020, 03:32:14 pm »
+1

Same for the Prizes and, most of the time, the Castles, not that you really want Castles in your deck most of the time.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2020, 08:33:02 pm »

Same for the Prizes and, most of the time, the Castles, not that you really want Castles in your deck most of the time.
most of the castles that have duplicates are the ones you want in your deck

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 27, 2020, 02:04:12 pm »
+4

"ah, they're going for a gardens strategy," i think, "I'll embargo gardens - heck, I'll embargo it twice."
the extra curses pushed them over the next decile for deck quantity. oops.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2021, 01:09:29 pm »

Rogue in a kingdom with Necromancer. For some rason, my opponent bought a Rogue anyway.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2021, 02:44:15 pm »
+1

Rogue in a kingdom with Necromancer. For some rason, my opponent bought a Rogue anyway.

I know the reason

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2021, 10:50:06 pm »

Stealing the Zombies from the trash?

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2021, 11:56:33 am »
+1

Stealing the Zombies from the trash?

You can also use any sort of TfB and gain back the trashed component with Rogue. For instance, if you are running Apprentice for big draw. A few Rogues let you gain $6 feed (e.g. Gold) from the trash to turn into draw. All told if you play Apprentice(G) -> Rogue you net +3 cards/+2$ which is on net what you get from Hunting grounds, Bazaar, and a +1 coin token on either. Apprentice is particularly good as you can trash back Zombies. There, of course, a million odd other useful combos for trash diving (e.g. Small castle, Groundskeeper/action-VP/trashing) so that you may want to go Rogue even without ever pulling out a Zombie.

Even absent a combo, it can be pretty decent if the other guy opens Necromancer to open Rogue in hopes of shutting down his early trashing and leaving him with a dead card throughout the game. It is not like the Zombies are all that terrible to have in your deck and it only takes 3 plays to clear them out.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2022, 12:01:26 am »
+4

Was thinking Faithful Hound would protect me from the gang of pickpockets. I was wrong.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2022, 12:24:02 am »
+4

Was thinking Faithful Hound would protect me from the gang of pickpockets. I was wrong.

yeah suddenly i have to care about what order duration draw happens at the start of next turn. I had played a highwayman and did that before Gang of Pickpockets and uh whoops

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #274 on: March 12, 2022, 08:31:46 am »
+4

If you buy Band of Misfits in a kingdom with Family of Inventors, your opponent can screw you over by making BoM cheaper.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.