Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies  (Read 101970 times)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:22 am »
+4

Donate/chapel
I used donate to trash my coppers and my estates. Wait, why did I buy a chapel, then.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2018, 04:35:18 pm »

Wandering Minstrel does not play well with Night cards that aren't Werewolf.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »

Thief and harem
Thief steals your harem. You gave them victory points, and you lost victory points.

That's not.. What card anti-synergies means, is cards in your own deck that just don't work well together. Like Tactician and any Night Cards. You can't play both Tactician and Night cards*, so there is an anti synergy there.

(You can also cheat and play a Werewolf before the Tactician, and say that is a Night card, which is correct but you know what I mean)

*you actually can, but it involves cost reduction to set aside a Tactician with Prince and another draw card set aside with Prince as well. Summoning also works in this way, as does Ghost, and any beginning of turn play Action cards. It's also not good.
A more sensible way to play Tactician and Night cards involves Golem. Which can be good in the right circumstances.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2018, 12:55:34 am »
+1

It turns out that Count can't help you reach $5 to get Windfall without a splitter.
Nah, Count does fine.

Say you can make your $5 without treasures. The simplest option is something like Candlestick/Count. You save up a coin, trash away everything with Count (top deck the Candlestick), and then next turn play the Candlestick and Count (discard nothing). This is an easy shot for a very nice Windfall.

More generally, you can just use Count as Trash 3/2 card and build up some Coin. 3 Plays of count will trash out 9 starting cards (net), this allows you to buy two silvers and keep a copper; don't play the Count for a turn when you buy the Windfall. After that you basically get a Province a turn and you can nurse the treasures along with top decking/discard as needed. You even can grab the odd duchy towards the end. Opening a $5 Count means I can Windfall ~ T8-10. Any sort of support (like Haven) will likely take this down around T7-9.

Never underestimate the pure raw power of good trashing in Dominion.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2018, 09:17:12 am »
+4

Raze isn't so helpful once you have a few Bridge Trolls in play. 

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2018, 08:08:24 am »
+6

Wandering Minstrel does not play well with Night cards that aren't Werewolf.

I would submit that Wandering Minstrel actually plays excellently with Night cards. For most Wm boards you want to be building an engine, the biggest problem with engines is having the engine whiff. Wm bottom decks something like half your stop cards (coins, green, nights) so you can much more reliably draw everything. Say nights and golds are your only payload - everything else is village/draw/+buy; ideally you want to have all your village/draw in the top half of your deck and all your payload in the bottom. Wm does this nicely. He makes your engine vastly more reliable at drawing through and he does so at a much lower opportunity cost than many other options.

Wm gets better with Nights when you time his addition to your deck well. Early on you may care more about playing power Nights than about deck drawing (e.g. Monastery), so do not buy Wm until after they are less useful. Conversely a lot of fun Night tricks are better after you are drawing deck (e.g. Changeling is mostly worthless until you can draw deck), don't bother with them until you can draw through. If you have double villages out, then certainly take the other one early and add in Wm in later.

It really is no different than Plats here. Sure may have a mid-game turn or two where you miss the plat from Wm, but pretty quickly your engine should hit and you can spend fewer buys on maintaining reliability. Reliable deck drawing is just that idiotically powerful.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2018, 08:26:20 am »
+1

Donate/chapel
I used donate to trash my coppers and my estates. Wait, why did I buy a chapel, then.

I've gotten decent mileage out of Chap/Donate on boards with Junking/On trash effects. Sure Donate can do most everything Chap can ... it just costs $8 per use. My personal favorite was Donate/Chap/Market square. Optimal play is almost always open Chap/Msqr -> Donate (possibly gaining a gold), keep 3(2) coppers. Then trash down the coppers and gain golds. Less powerfully, Squire can also make a Chap a good investment with attacks you want to spam (e.g. Werewolf).

Against junkers, like Cultist or Mountebank, Chap is likely a good addition with a spare $2. It costs a draw and an action, but it also saves you several $8 buys.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2018, 11:51:02 am »
+7

Haggler + debt-costing cards: you're forced to take Copper when you buy a debt-costing card with Haggler in play.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2018, 01:55:57 pm »

Not necessarily. Often, you'll be happy to take a free Engineer with your Overlord.

And you're spoiled for choice if you buy a Fortune...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2018, 02:04:57 pm »
+12

Haggler + Me when I forget that Haggler's gain is mandatory

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2018, 02:18:08 pm »
+2

Not necessarily. Often, you'll be happy to take a free Engineer with your Overlord.

Not very often. That'll probably happen about 0 or 1 times in the average Dominion player's lifetime.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2018, 02:35:06 pm »
+1

...and how often will the average Dominion player Haggle a debt-costing card at all?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2018, 03:02:01 pm »
+4

Not very often. That'll probably happen about 0 or 1 times in the average Dominion player's lifetime.
Only assuming you play full random. Why do people always assume that?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2018, 03:32:08 pm »

Because that's what you get when you automatch on ShiT.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »

Because that's what you get when you automatch on ShiT.

I made a feature request to change that.
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2847.msg12597#msg12597

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:56 am »
+3

Haggler + Me when I forget that Haggler's gain is mandatory

Haggler + Me when I forget that Haggler's gain is mandatory + Irritating butt-ass opponent who doesn't grant the simplest of no-info undos

I know that's a 3-part combo so might cause thread derailment arguments over what's a useful combo but I would plead that the second component is super-common and the third component is also much more common than any given card so the chance of this occuring is at least as high as any given 2-card combo.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2018, 08:25:18 am »

Haggler + debt-costing cards: you're forced to take Copper when you buy a debt-costing card with Haggler in play.

Not while there are Curses or Ruins in play.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2018, 08:29:11 am »
+3

Not while there are Curses or Ruins in play.
How would you even put Curses in play, and why does it matter?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2018, 03:20:51 am »

Sorry, I meant "in Supply".
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2018, 02:42:51 pm »
+2

Plaza + Black Market

You can't spend tokens while buying from Black Market. I played against someone who repeatedly discarded Coppers to Plaza then played Black Market and couldn't afford power cards.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2018, 10:12:11 pm »
+3

Summon + Skulk
I didn't know this, but apparently Summon doesn't work on Skulk because the Gold covers it up.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2018, 05:28:46 pm »

I recently played a game with tournament and mountain pass and noticed mountain pass makes it even more critical to get the province first, since when you buy it, your opponent has to bet afterwards and if they bet high, you simply pass and have several rounds where they pay off their debt, unable to buy a province and you can get the prices easily. If they bet low, well, you already have a province to take prices and the debt wont hurt you that much.

However, in Rebuild games with Mountain Pass, it's very critical to not get the first Province, because if your opponent bets 40 (as they should), you can't bet more than that and then they're going to have a very major advantage.

why 40?  That seems crazy.  The other person just needs to buy duchies and churn em while u are paying back the 40 to do anything.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »

why 40?  That seems crazy.  The other person just needs to buy duchies and churn em while u are paying back the 40 to do anything.

I'm not 100% sure this is still the modern consensus, but at that time, it was supported by both simulators and real test games that the point advantage from Mountain Pass far outweighs the ability to buy stuff for the rest of the game, because Rebuild doesn't really even need to buy anything after the initial couple of Rebuilds.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2018, 08:57:59 pm »

I'm not 100% sure this is still the modern consensus, but at that time, it was supported by both simulators and real test games that the point advantage from Mountain Pass far outweighs the ability to buy stuff for the rest of the game, because Rebuild doesn't really even need to buy anything after the initial couple of Rebuilds.

I guess I could see that assuming u don't get to MP to fast, and don't have enough rebuilds to reliably churn through the rest.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #199 on: August 26, 2018, 05:51:58 am »

I guess I could see that assuming u don't get to MP to fast, and don't have enough rebuilds to reliably churn through the rest.

It's not about having enough Rebuilds, you simply don't have enough time when the opponent has an 8 VP advantage and keeps removing Provinces from the pile.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.