Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies  (Read 101977 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2018, 05:46:46 pm »
+7

If Mountain's gift wasn't bad enough, Bandit Camp turns it into a curse.

Do you mean Bandit Fort?

I was thinking so hard about how this would possibly make sense.  But I knew if I asked, someone would make me feel sheepish by showing me how obviously bandit camp turns into a curse.  Now my brain can relax.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2018, 11:45:16 pm »
+2

Diplomat is not a good reaction to Soldier

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2018, 09:10:56 am »
+2

Do you mean Bandit Fort?

I was thinking so hard about how this would possibly make sense.  But I knew if I asked, someone would make me feel sheepish by showing me how obviously bandit camp turns into a curse.  Now my brain can relax.

I took a huge risk that that wasn't the case.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2018, 09:17:38 am »

Do you mean Bandit Fort?

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to ask then?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »

Do you mean Bandit Fort?

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to ask then?
Only if I was okay with the risk of feeling like a sheep.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2018, 06:46:02 pm »

Why not?

It may not alter what size hand you end up with, but Diplomat still sifts which cards remain in your hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2018, 07:00:07 pm »

Why not?

It may not alter what size hand you end up with, but Diplomat still sifts which cards remain in your hand.

Yeah and you probably want to have a lower handsize if you have Diplomats in your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2018, 07:14:23 pm »

Why not?

If you react Diplomat to Soldier then you discard down to 3 cards in hand, which may or may not be bad in a Diplomat game.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:35 am »

Swindler + Mountebank:

1. If you trash your opponent's Coppers into Curses, he/she can later discard them to your Mountebanks.
2. When the Curses run out, you will occasionally trash Curses off the top of your opponent's deck, giving them Coppers.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2018, 12:10:16 pm »
+2

Cursed Village / Torturer

Cursed Village / Torturer engines really don't do that much because CV is a superlative counter to discard attacks (probably the best).

Counter: This isn't really an antisynergy because any draw-to-X counters any discard attack - we knew this already.

Counter to the counter: This is a special case because CV is something you could use to build a torturer engine. Library might be a good defence against torturer chains but it won't let you play any yourself. Nobody builds a library / torturer deck. But because CV is a ruddy good village, it's a good candidate for building a torturer chain, and also a superb way to defend against one. For me, this counts as an AaPHCA-S.

Also I hexed myself war which trashed one of the two torturers I had and that's not an AaPHCA-S, just a risk of using CV, but it did anger me somewhat.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2018, 03:59:56 am »

Cursed Village / Torturer engines really don't do that much because CV is a superlative counter to discard attacks (probably the best).

Counter: This isn't really an antisynergy because any draw-to-X counters any discard attack - we knew this already.

Counter to the counter: This is a special case because CV is something you could use to build a torturer engine. Library might be a good defence against torturer chains but it won't let you play any yourself. Nobody builds a library / torturer deck. But because CV is a ruddy good village, it's a good candidate for building a torturer chain, and also a superb way to defend against one. For me, this counts as an AaPHCA-S.

Also I hexed myself war which trashed one of the two torturers I had and that's not an AaPHCA-S, just a risk of using CV, but it did anger me somewhat.

Cursed Village does not really play optimally with Torturer as in most cases all CV after the first might as well have been Necropoles. Also, both cards are competing for the $5 purchase slot. Of course theres a better chance to start the Torturer chain after the first CV play, but all in all I'd rather have good old Fishing Village to complement my Torturers.

Nice complements to CV are cards that supply what CV does not: Vaults, Storerooms or Horse Traders. They enable your hand to breathe in and out and generate $$$ in the process.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2018, 06:13:44 am »
+1

Cursed Village does not really play optimally with Torturer as in most cases all CV after the first might as well have been Necropoles. Also, both cards are competing for the $5 purchase slot. Of course theres a better chance to start the Torturer chain after the first CV play, but all in all I'd rather have good old Fishing Village to complement my Torturers.

Nice complements to CV are cards that supply what CV does not: Vaults, Storerooms or Horse Traders. They enable your hand to breathe in and out and generate $$$ in the process.
Well there also Secret Chamber!

Notice that vault's on-gain is actually super useful for your opponent in cursed village games. That could annoy you, and even harm you.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2018, 06:35:12 am »
+1

Notice that vault's on-gain is actually super useful for your opponent in cursed village games. That could annoy you, and even harm you.

You mean on-play? There is no on-gain effect of Vault.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2018, 11:15:59 am »

Notice that vault's on-gain is actually super useful for your opponent in Cursed Village games. That could annoy you, and even harm you.

You mean on-play? There is no on-gain effect of Vault.

Maybe Accatitippi means the on-gain effect of Embassy? They're easy to mix up: they're both terminals for $5 which net you one card, they're only really good in BM and they both play nice with Tunnel—that is, they're pretty interchangeable.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2018, 07:03:32 pm »

I meant on-play, yeah. I should really start proofreading my posts before I hit the send button...

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »

Sure, Haunted Woods counters Nights.  But, Haunted Woods REALLY counters Monastery.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2018, 04:56:20 am »
+3

Sure, Haunted Woods counters Nights.  But, Haunted Woods REALLY counters Monastery.

I don't think that's true, actually. Monastery should do most of its job before you start to get hit by a Haunted Woods attack every turn.

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2018, 11:20:39 am »

It did some work, but the only extra gains on this board, aside from +buys, were from Noble Brigand, Artisan, and Develop.  So it was slow to get going, unless you also went with another trasher (Develop).  I managed to kill my Estates, but not many coppers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2018, 01:27:22 pm »
+1

You can (usually should) definitely use another trasher with Monastery, since it can't terminally collide, even without Haunted Woods present.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2018, 03:04:41 pm »
+13

Conclave + Duration

This should be obvious, but trying to turn Conclave + Wharf into an engine was a Very Bad Idea.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:39 pm »

Thief and harem
Thief steals your harem. You gave them victory points, and you lost victory points.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2018, 10:16:55 am »
+6

Thief and harem
Thief steals your harem. You gave them victory points, and you lost victory points.

That's not.. What card anti-synergies means, is cards in your own deck that just don't work well together. Like Tactician and any Night Cards. You can't play both Tactician and Night cards*, so there is an anti synergy there.

(You can also cheat and play a Werewolf before the Tactician, and say that is a Night card, which is correct but you know what I mean)

*you actually can, but it involves cost reduction to set aside a Tactician with Prince and another draw card set aside with Prince as well. Summoning also works in this way, as does Ghost, and any beginning of turn play Action cards. It's also not good.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:19:19 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
+1

Thief and harem

That's not.. What card anti-synergies means, is cards in your own deck that just don't work well together. Like Tactician and any Night Cards. You can't play both Tactician and Night cards*, so there is an anti synergy there.

(You can also cheat and play a Werewolf before the Tactician, and say that is a Night card, which is correct but you know what I mean)

*you actually can, but it involves cost reduction to set aside a Tactician with Prince and another draw card set aside with Prince as well. Summoning also works in this way, as does Ghost, and any beginning of turn play Action cards. It's also not good.

But you can't argue that playing Thief and stealing someone else's Harem is actually quite a bad move. The more Harems you have the rarer you're playing your precious Thief and the less Treasures you can steal. You can of course buy more Thieves playing Harems you just stole: it seems to be a synergy, especially given that Harem provides $2 and Thief costs $4, so you need to have only 2 Harems to buy another Thief to play your Thieves more often. Writing that I realised that I am doing something wrong with my life Thief and Harem actually is an awesome synergy, shame on Wiki for not having it.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2018, 12:00:20 am »

Philosophers stone/windfall
I want to go through my whole deck but I also want lots of cards in my deck
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:37:55 am by Chase Adolphson »

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2018, 12:03:32 am »
+1

Philosophers stone/donate
I trash all of those coppers and estates, but now I'm going through my whole deck every turn. WHY DID I BUY A PHILOSOPHERS STONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.