Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: CPiGuy's Cards  (Read 11425 times)

CPiGuy

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: CPiGuy
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
Re: CPiGuy's Cards
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 01:44:07 pm »

A couple more changes.

Survey, $5 Event
Reveal the top 8 10 cards of your deck. You may trash one of them. You may set one aside and put it into your hand at end of turn (after drawing). You may put up to two of them on top of your deck. If you revealed three differently-named...
Actions, you may gain a copy of one of them.
Treasures, you may set one of them aside and put it into your hand at end of turn (after drawing).

Victory cards, +2VP.
Discard the remaining revealed cards.

Wassail, $1 $3 Event
+1 Buy
Pay up to $3. For each $ you paid, Once per turn: take a Coin token.

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 02:05:58 am »

Two new cards, forming one split-pile.

Wanderer, $1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
---
Once per turn: When you gain this, +1 Buy.

Pack Horse, $4 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Wanderer. Discard the other cards, and play the Wanderer.

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 05:04:07 pm »

Two new cards, forming one split-pile.

Wanderer, $1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
---
Once per turn: When you gain this, +1 Buy.

Pack Horse, $4 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Wanderer. Discard the other cards, and play the Wanderer.
This seems a bit strong. Of course Pack Horse is not necessarily a Lost City, you could have all Wanderers in your hand. But most of the times it is and I guess that buying 2 Wanderers is often the correct opening.
You might wanna make it a 4-4 pile in two player respectively a 6-6 pile in three player games, otherwise the first player could always win the Wanderer split.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 07:35:58 pm »

I am not sure how many people are fans of split piles, but I got the impression that they are not all that popular. I can say that I don't like them because all official and most fan split piles give you two components that interact positively, and so you want many of both. Lose the split for one of the cards, and your best reason to buy the second half is spite. There was room for more variety here, and I hope in case the mechanic returns in the future, it'll be used.

This would also be my main complaint on the Wanderer pile. It just doesn't do anything interesting. In fact, it looks a lot like a Settlement Settlers variant.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:05:26 am by Asper »

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 08:23:58 pm »

I am not sure how many people are fans of split piles, but I got the impression that they are not all that popular. I can say that I don't like them because all official and most fan split piles give you two components that interact positively, and so you want many of both. Lose the split for one of the cards, and your best reason to buy the second half is spite. There was room for more variety here, and I hope in case the mechanic returns in the future, it'll be used.

This would also be my main complaint on the Wanderer pile. It just doesn't do anything interesting. In fact, it looks a lot like a Settlement variant.
I don't think that the second part of the pile is always worthless if you don't get (many) of the first part. The only culprit are Rocks (without any other trasher than Catapult; if there are other trasher it could be OK) and Avanto (Sauna-Avanto is far too powerful IMO: it trashes, draws, potentially provides extra Actions).
Plunder is nice without Encampements, the on-gain effect of Emporium is easy to trigger in an engine independent of whether you have Patricians and Fortune is something you want anyway with that extra Gold via Gladiator just being a cherry on the top of it.

In my opinion this very split pile does fall into the Sauna-Avanto trap: you basically want it all, the synergies between both parts are too strong.

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 05:56:25 pm »

Another card.

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D
Flip over your Journey token (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +3 Cards. If it's face down, +3 Actions.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 06:13:32 pm »

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D
Flip over your Journey token (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +3 Cards. If it's face down, +3 Actions.
This looks a bit strong for its cost.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 06:55:55 pm »

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D

Well, my thoughts are that it's half a Lost City (since you need two of them to get the same effect as one Lost City). Perhaps a straight $3 or even $3D would be stronger? I think it's worse than Smithy, so $4 is too much.

Also, a new card.

Tailor, $2 Action-Reserve
+1 Card
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this, to trash a card from your hand, and gain a differently named card to your hand of up to the same cost.

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 07:20:03 pm »

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D

Well, my thoughts are that it's half a Lost City (since you need two of them to get the same effect as one Lost City).
It looks strong at the first glance but you are right that it is weaker than Smithy as it requires the support of another village. A hand of 5 Pilgrims with the Journey token being face down is not a single card engine, it is a hand of 4 dead cards and a Smithy.

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 07:23:36 pm »

+1 Card
+1 Action
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this, to trash a card from your hand, and gain a differently named card to your hand of up to the same cost.
I don't know. If you got Curses and Ruins in your deck you rather want a Ratcatcher and if you wanna get rid of your Estates you can transmogrify them into Silvers. With decent 2s around this is of course preferrable to Transmogrify but I don't think that it does enough new stuff (OK, it does provide some 3-pile control) to be worthwhile.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 09:06:49 pm »

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D

Well, my thoughts are that it's half a Lost City (since you need two of them to get the same effect as one Lost City).
It looks strong at the first glance but you are right that it is weaker than Smithy as it requires the support of another village. A hand of 5 Pilgrims with the Journey token being face down is not a single card engine, it is a hand of 4 dead cards and a Smithy.

So is a hand of five Smithies. Just that a hand of five Smithies is never anything else and costs more.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:09:08 pm by Asper »

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 08:24:42 am »

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D

So is a hand of five Smithies. Just that a hand of five Smithies is never anything else and costs more.
No disagreement here, as I said it is weaker than Smithy as it requires further village support.
On the other hand a real half Lost City, i.e.: +1 Card +1 Action Turn over your Journey token (it starts face up). If it is face up, 1 Card +1 Action. is pretty strong as it is a single-card engine (and it is of course far less interesting than a conditional Lost City like Herald)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:32:25 am by josh56 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:33 am »

Pilgrim, Action, $2+1D

No disagreement here, as I said it is weaker than Smithy as it requires further village support.
On the other hand a real half Lost City, i.e.: +1 Card +1 Action Turn over your Journey token (it starts face up). If it is face up, 1 Card +1 Action. is pretty strong as it is a single-card engine (and it is of course far less interesting than a conditional Lost City like Herald)

It does not require additional Village support. It just gets even better with it. The only bad thing about this is that the Village variant doesn't draw anything. It's like choice-less Nobles in a way.
Hm... On the other hand, that would make it seem fine for 3$ in comparison.

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:50 pm »

It does not require additional Village support. It just gets even better with it.
As I already pointed out, if you start your turn with the Journey token being face down all the Pilgrims but the first one are dead without additional village support.
So Pilgrim without other villages is only possible if you manage that the Journey token is always face up at the start of each turn which implies that you should always play an even number of Pilgrims each turn. This might not always be possible and I guess that the reliability of an ordinary draw engine with a non-degenerate village and a Smithy (variant) is higher.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 06:44:46 pm »

It does not require additional Village support. It just gets even better with it.
As I already pointed out, if you start your turn with the Journey token being face down all the Pilgrims but the first one are dead without additional village support.
So Pilgrim without other villages is only possible if you manage that the Journey token is always face up at the start of each turn which implies that you should always play an even number of Pilgrims each turn. This might not always be possible and I guess that the reliability of an ordinary draw engine with a non-degenerate village and a Smithy (variant) is higher.

It's not like that token randomly landed on the wrong side. You got to play it that way. So I stand with my statement that another Village is undoubtably useful, but far from required as long as you don't make the mistake of playing this as a Village if you have no reasonable chance of playing another that turn AND also somehow think playing a 3$ card as a Smithy is outrageously bad.

I give it one thing though: Unlike Smithy, it needs to be part of an engine and can't be played for big money. Which doesn't say all that much. Also unlike Smithy however, this can be coupled with either draw or Villages, preferrably both.

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 07:15:27 pm »
+1

My initial assessment was wrong. This is a powerful single-card-engine-enabler if you manage to get lots of them. It is also clearly overpowered for 3.
Not sure that it is all that good if you only get 2-4 of them though. Playing them in pairs isn't easy with few of them in your deck and you'd usually rather have an ordinary village than a double Necro.

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:22 am »

+1 Card
+1 Action
-
I don't know. If you got Curses and Ruins in your deck you rather want a Ratcatcher and if you wanna get rid of your Estates you can transmogrify them into Silvers. With decent 2s around this is of course preferrable to Transmogrify but I don't think that it does enough new stuff (OK, it does provide some 3-pile control) to be worthwhile.

So, I see Transmogrify as being useful for making your deck better but also for insane pile-outs. This card is designed to stop that (or at least make it harder), and my intent for it was really so that you could swap around engine components. Drew two Smithies? Tailor one of them into a Walled Village. Drew a Throne dead? Tailor your Gold into a Nobles!

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »

+1 Card
+1 Action
-

So, I see Transmogrify as being useful for making your deck better but also for insane pile-outs. This card is designed to stop that (or at least make it harder), and my intent for it was really so that you could swap around engine components. Drew two Smithies? Tailor one of them into a Walled Village. Drew a Throne dead? Tailor your Gold into a Nobles!
I don't think that it is much harder to pile out with Tailor than with Transmogrify. Like with all Remodelers you gotta closely watch the Province pile but Tailor is cheaper and draws.

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:22 am »

+1 Card
+1 Action
-

I don't think that it is much harder to pile out with Tailor than with Transmogrify. Like with all Remodelers you gotta closely watch the Province pile but Tailor is cheaper and draws.

Eh, it's harder to run a single pile, though. and you don't have to watch the Province pile, since you can't tailor a card into itself.

Also, some new cards. (I've also made some Night cards, but I'll hold off on those until Nocturne is officially released, in case they end up not working with unreleased mechanics or something.)

Spymasters - $7 Action
Choose three (the choices don't have to be different): +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1.

[To pre-empt the obvious rules question: you make your decision on all three before you do any of them, so you can't draw your first card and then decide you'd rather have a Village than a Poacher.]

Reanimate - $2 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Choose at least one: gain a card costing up to the same price, or gain a card costing up to $4 more from the trash.

[If you do both, you can do them in either order.]

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 01:45:24 am »

And here are a couple more cards. One has two versions, and I am debating which one I like more, or whether I should keep both (but rename one).

Demagogue - $3 Action
The player to your left may reveal an Action card from their hand. If they do, play this as that; it's that card until it leaves play. Otherwise, +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

Kurgan - $6 Victory
Worth 1VP per differently named card in the Trash of which you have a copy.
---
Setup: Put a Copper and an Estate in the Trash.

Kurgan - Landmark
When scoring, 1VP per card in the Trash of which you have a copy.

I think I like the Landmark more.

Dolmen - $4 Victory
Worth 1VP per 6 cards you have costing $2 or $3.

Commission - $3 Treasure - Duration
$1
-
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card.

Bountiful Land - Landmark
When scoring, +1VP for every card you have costing $5 or more, and -1VP for every card you have costing $3 or less after the first 5.

Foothills - Landmark
Once per turn, if you play two cards costing $6 or more or four cards costing $5 or more in a turn, take 1VP from here.
-
Setup: Put 6VP here per player.

Ancient City - Landmark
If you end your turn having played five differently named Actions, take 2VP from here.
-
Setup: Put 6VP here per player.

[Also, I've been uploading all of these new cards to the GDrive link in the OP if you'd like to take a look at the art.]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:13:49 pm by CPiGuy »

josh56

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 06:45:25 am »
+1

I don't like Spymasters as it has already been considered by DXV (Secret History of Empires: "I tried a giant Pawn briefly.").
It would probably be OK at 6 too (mostly used as Lab) and I don't think that some hyperflexible card leads to interesting play.

Demagogue should feature a non-Demagogue clause (to prevent infinite loops) is cool and is probably OK at 4 due to the strong alternative option.

I have no idea how to play well with the DarkAge-y Kurgan but I like it.

Commission is a Treasure version of a something a bit weaker than Caravan Guard aka delayed Peddler (as the card and not the coin is delaed). Nothing fancy but balanced.

Foothills
isn't  bad but boring: it rewards what you want to do anyway.

Ancient City on the other hand creates a nice incentive to not go for mono-card strategies and, come on, who doesn't like Cornucopia-esque variety-rewarding cards.

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 12:52:55 pm »

I don't like Spymasters as it has already been considered by DXV (Secret History of Empires: "I tried a giant Pawn briefly.").
It would probably be OK at 6 too (mostly used as Lab) and I don't think that some hyperflexible card leads to interesting play.

Demagogue should feature a non-Demagogue clause (to prevent infinite loops) is cool and is probably OK at 4 due to the strong alternative option.

I have no idea how to play well with the DarkAge-y Kurgan but I like it.

Commission is a Treasure version of a something a bit weaker than Caravan Guard aka delayed Peddler (as the card and not the coin is delaed). Nothing fancy but balanced.

Foothills
isn't  bad but boring: it rewards what you want to do anyway.

Ancient City on the other hand creates a nice incentive to not go for mono-card strategies and, come on, who doesn't like Cornucopia-esque variety-rewarding cards.

My thought with Spymasters being 7 was not "having one copy of this card is so good it ought to cost 7"; it was more "this card is so good in lots of multiples that I want to make it hard to obtain several". I agree it's not the most interesting of ideas, but it's still fun to think about, and it's nice because it would basically never be dead.

Good catch on Demagogue. I'd like to actually play with this card to see how strong it is, but I agree that 4 isn't unreasonable.

I think the play with the Kurgan landmark would be interesting, because obviously you can get lots of points from keeping a Copper, but so can your opponent, so in that regard it's a lot like Fountain. I think the interesting bit would be where you want to trash actions that you have a copy of, or not play self-trashing actions. The Victory card would reward trashing single copies of actions you have, at least if you win the Kurgan split; I think it works better as a Landmark because it doesn't suffer the problem with victory cards based on the trash where whoever loses the split has no incentive to make their copies better, since they're based on a common resource, and basically no way to make them worse.

Here's another card, which I admit that I came up with entirely for the gimmick of having a card with five types, but which I think is actually a decent card.

Roving Bandits - $5 Action-Attack-Looter-Reaction-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, each other player gains a Ruins, and if they don't, discards a card and draws up to 4 cards in hand.
-
When another player gains a Gold, you may trash this from your hand, to instead gain that Gold.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:10 pm »

Now and at the start of your next turn, each other player gains a Ruins, and if they don't, discards a card and draws up to 4 cards in hand.
-
When another player gains a Gold, you may trash this from your hand, to instead gain that Gold.
Two players react with this at once, who gets the Gold? Better they gain their own Gold and let the buyer keep theirs. I feel either this would never be bought for $5 because there's no definite benefit to the buyer or it would because the Attack is imbalanced hitting twice in one play.

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »

-
Two players react with this at once, who gets the Gold? Better they gain their own Gold and let the buyer keep theirs. I feel either this would never be bought for $5 because there's no definite benefit to the buyer or it would because the Attack is imbalanced hitting twice in one play.

This is a good point; my ruling is that you go in turn order, so the first player to the left of the one gaining the Gold is the first one with the opportunity to use their Bandits. The second person could then trash their Bandits to take the Gold from that player, though, so perhaps I should adjust the wording:

"When another player gains a Gold, you may trash this. If you do, they trash that Gold, and you gain a Gold."

CPiGuy

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »

Revision to Circle the Wagons:

Circle the Wagons, $2 Event.
Once per turn: +1 Buy. Take a Circle the Wagons token.
-
When anyone plays an Attack, you may return a Circle the Wagons token, to be unaffected by it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.