Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession + Cache + Watchtower question  (Read 3168 times)

Chronos

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Possession + Cache + Watchtower question
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:39:03 am »

I played a couple of games recently with these three cards and I am wondering if their interaction is correct on isotropic.

So if I buy a Cache while Possessing my opponent and I have a Watchtower in my real hand, I can reveal that to put the Cache on my deck and trash the two coppers I would have otherwise gained.  However, at the end of this, I think that Possession should then force my opponent to gain the coppers, but isotropic just leaves them trashed.

Additionally, when I buy a Cache while Possessing my opponent and he has a Watchtower in his hand that I'm playing, I think I should be able to pull the same trick, but isotropic doesn't let me.

What do y'all think?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Possession + Cache + Watchtower question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:56 am »

I think isotropic does it correctly. If you reveal the Watchtower, you have gained the card; there's nothing in Possession about the card going back to the possessed if it doesn't end up in the possessor's deck for some reason. If you have the possessed person reveal the Watchtower; it's covered under the normal rules for trashing while possessed.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:56:06 am »
+4

In particular, the Possession card stipulates that cards of the Possessed person that are trashed get un-trashed. But cards that anyone else (such as the Possessor) might trash during the same turn stay in the trash as usual.

And you can't reveal Watchtower from the Possessed person's hand, because the Possessed person never actually gains anything. So the Watchtower is never triggered.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »

In particular, the Possession card stipulates that cards of the Possessed person that are trashed get un-trashed. But cards that anyone else (such as the Possessor) might trash during the same turn stay in the trash as usual.

And you can't reveal Watchtower from the Possessed person's hand, because the Possessed person never actually gains anything. So the Watchtower is never triggered.

If you possessed your opponent and drew his whole deck, then (for example) gained a card with ironworks and tried to draw the card, would it not be there? I think I was always imagining that the possessed deck temporarily gained the cards, just like the cards get temporarily trashed. I figured it was only at the end of the possession turn that all the cards got sent to their ultimate locations.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:28:24 pm »

If you possessed your opponent and drew his whole deck, then (for example) gained a card with ironworks and tried to draw the card, would it not be there? I think I was always imagining that the possessed deck temporarily gained the cards, just like the cards get temporarily trashed. I figured it was only at the end of the possession turn that all the cards got sent to their ultimate locations.

No, the gained cards never touch the possessed players deck. They immediately go into the possesser's discard.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:55:25 pm »

If you possessed your opponent and drew his whole deck, then (for example) gained a card with ironworks and tried to draw the card, would it not be there?

Nope, it wouldn't be there.

What's more, the possessor shouldn't even get the Ironworks benefit; no +1 action, +1 card, or +1 coin. (This came out of the ironworks/trader interaction discussion, that's what Donald ended up concluding.)

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »

If you possessed your opponent and drew his whole deck, then (for example) gained a card with ironworks and tried to draw the card, would it not be there?

Nope, it wouldn't be there.

What's more, the possessor shouldn't even get the Ironworks benefit; no +1 action, +1 card, or +1 coin. (This came out of the ironworks/trader interaction discussion, that's what Donald ended up concluding.)

Ahh...true true. That should have clued me in to the fact that the possessed deck never gains the card, even temporarily.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.