Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!  (Read 20020 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 02:10:58 pm »
+1

I guess I don't really care so much about which word is used. But the question then is, is Throne Room a village? Is Prince a village? If yes, then it's all good if everyone could agree on that. But I just think a term that includes all these things is better than one that includes Necropolis but excludes Sauna/Avanto.

Why?

Just because I like to be able to quickly assess whether it's possible to draw my deck and play multiple terminals and thinking in those terms helps with that.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2017, 02:15:53 pm »

I agree that knowing whether the board allows to play more than one terminal card is a good thing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »

Please don't use splitters, the term is horrible and deliberately obfuscating. There is nothing being split, hence there can be nothing doing any kind of splitting.

Village, on the other hand, has been dutifully functioning as a pars pro toto since the beginning and is immediately clear to everyone because it corresponds to a simple base card.

I think visualizing actions with a tree structure makes it pretty clear where the term splitter comes from.

I guess I don't really care so much about which word is used. But the question then is, is Throne Room a village? Is Prince a village? If yes, then it's all good if everyone could agree on that. But I just think a term that includes all these things is better than one that includes Necropolis but excludes Sauna/Avanto.

I think Donald X. himself said he used a binary tree in his play area to keep track of Throne Room playing Throne Room. With Village, it's fine to make a linear track of Villages and place the terminals below the Village supporting it.

This just makes me realise that "splitters" like Throne Room scale exponentially in Actions played while Village scale linearly, so maybe they should be a distinction between Village variants and Throne Room variants after all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »

But what if it's Throne Room instead?

Then you know you'll be able to play a decent number of action cards each turn. If any splitter is present on the board, that means you're able to play more than one terminal Action. That's the important thing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:11 pm »
+4

This just makes me realise that "splitters" like Throne Room scale exponentially in Actions played while Village scale linearly, so maybe they should be a distinction between Village variants and Throne Room variants after all.

This would only be true if Throne on Throne meant you got to play an action card four times (somehow), with the following one making you play it eight times, etc., rather than just two action cards twice.

Throne Room, King's Court, etc. also scale linearly with the number of cards played, just like standard villages. You could think of Throne as a phantom +1 Card +2 Actions (the +1 Card draws a copy of a card in your hand, the Actions allow you to play both the original copy and the drawn one). This makes it obvious that it also scales linearly.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2017, 02:41:41 pm »
+2

Why?

Just because I like to be able to quickly assess whether it's possible to draw my deck and play multiple terminals and thinking in those terms helps with that.

Sure, but how does having just one word that encompasses all those cards help you do that?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 02:50:00 pm »
+4

I think it's just a convenience issue. "Is there any card in the kingdom that allows me to play more than one terminal a turn?" is longer than "Is there a frampt in the kingdom?".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2017, 02:50:21 pm »
+11

Woodcutter is clearly a splitter, and that got removed
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 02:56:51 pm »
+1

I think it's just a convenience issue. "Is there any card in the kingdom that allows me to play more than one terminal a turn?" is longer than "Is there a frampt in the kingdom?".

I guess my brain doesn't work that way. It doesn't need a word in order to recognize the concept of "frampt". Maybe I'd be a better player if I had a word for it, dunno.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:45 pm »
+2

This would only be true if Throne on Throne meant you got to play an action card four times (somehow), with the following one making you play it eight times, etc., rather than just two action cards twice.

Throne Room, King's Court, etc. also scale linearly with the number of cards played, just like standard villages. You could think of Throne as a phantom +1 Card +2 Actions (the +1 Card draws a copy of a card in your hand, the Actions allow you to play both the original copy and the drawn one). This makes it obvious that it also scales linearly.

Ah okay I get it now. Throne Room is still linear, but it's a x2  plays for all leaves in the Throne Room tree.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2017, 03:27:22 pm »
+4

The distinction can still be important, strategy-wise. Imagine a kingdom with nine terminal cards. If the tenth card says "+2 actions" on it, then you know you'll be able to play a decent number of action cards each turn.

But what if it's Throne Room instead? Then things become trickier: you'll probably only be able to string together a bunch of actions if you have at least two Throne Rooms and a strong terminal draw card in your hand. If it's Golem, then you know you'll be able to play a hard maximum of two terminals in a turn. If it's Royal Carriage, you'll just be able to play a single terminal over and over. If it's Ironmonger or Herald, it will be easier to play multiple actions, but neither of those will be 100% reliable.

In my mind, a "village" is anything that always give you +2 actions if you want them, like Squire and Nobles. A "splitter" or "pseudo-village" is anything that might give you +2 actions if you want them, but not always.
I don't see why Throne Room makes things trickier but Nobles does not. I mean it costs $6. You do not just automatically have plentiful actions if you are relying on Nobles.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2017, 04:05:59 pm »

I guess my brain doesn't work that way. It doesn't need a word in order to recognize the concept of "frampt". Maybe I'd be a better player if I had a word for it, dunno.

Not necessarily a better player, but better able to discuss the phenomenon without having to type a long description whenever you want to talk about frampts.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:40 pm »
+3

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2017, 05:11:04 pm »
+10

Well guys, after much thought, consideration, and feedback, I am changing the article release schedule. First, I want to ensure that quality content continues to get made. As is, my previous plan was just too ambitious and created a risk of contributors getting burnt out, quality declining and/or no more content being generated. I did not make this decision lightly. More than anything, I want quality content to go up on the blog, and for that content to continue to exist. My announcement can be viewed here. https://dominionstrategy.com/2017/09/20/announcement-article-release-schedule-change/

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »
+1

I am changing the article release schedule...

Sustainability is more important than a short term explosion of content.
Also, I've really enjoyed the highlighting of old content that I'd not yet seen. 

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2017, 10:59:10 pm »
+2

I am so happy to see the blog returning. That is where I first learned about Dominion. I was looking at possibly buying the game  Learning about the various cards and strategies there got me enthused about it.  Then I bought base and Prosperity together, and my wife and I have been hooked ever since. We have thoroughly enjoyed every expansion and new concept that has come along. It has been a great ride.  I was just checking out the new articles.  Please keep it coming!

And I agree about the idea of changing the release schedule. Just having a nice consistent flow of information is great. When Theory used to be so involved with the blog, even if we got one article in a week, it was still great to have. So to have something posted 3 days per week is plenty. I think if you get too much, it becomes overwhelming, especially for inexperienced players. All of that information just swims together on your head and becomes muddled. There is nothing wrong with giving us time to chew on it a little before posting a new article or video.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.