Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!  (Read 20026 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 03:45:14 pm »
+3

I prefer 4P over 2P any time. Also I never play Dominion online and don't care about it. Am I special yet?

Sounds like you belong over at the Strategist's Forum of Dominion, not here.
Splitters!

But at least we can all agree to hate the Strategical Dominion Forum.

It appears I shouldn't have wasted that joke on a subforum without upvotes...
It's like the #2 on the Top Five Things You're Doing Wrong list published by ForumRespectStrategy.com, and #4 on the corresponding list published by StrategyForForumRespect.com.  I guess you are more of a StrategyOfForumRespect.com kinda guy.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »
+6

Inb4 someone argues they are called villages and not splitters.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
+2

I prefer 4P over 2P any time. Also I never play Dominion online and don't care about it. Am I special yet?

Splitters!

Mine was an homage to yours, for whatever that's worth

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 03:54:48 pm »
+1

Splitters!

It's like the #2 on the Top Five Things You're Doing Wrong list published by ForumRespectStrategy.com, and #4 on the corresponding list published by StrategyForForumRespect.com.  I guess you are more of a StrategyOfForumRespect.com kinda guy.

Where does F.ds fall on the RespectedStrategyForums list?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 08:08:28 pm »
+2

Thief should be removed from the list of Base Dominion cards.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 09:32:24 pm »
+1

Thief should be removed from the list of Base Dominion cards.

Fixed

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:12 am »
+5

But they ARE Villages! Splitters is the worst name in the history of existence. You could call them Woohoos because you're happy every time you play them and it would be way better.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:55 am »

How much effort would it be to have hover links that pop up card images?. I think I've seen Magic sites do that.

Do people like it?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:38 am »

How much effort would it be to have hover links that pop up card images?. I think I've seen Magic sites do that.

Do people like it?

Most likely, that would involve a monetary investment into something that can do that, and then the time commitment of adding every card into the database. It does sound cool though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2017, 05:37:22 am »

But they ARE Villages! Splitters is the worst name in the history of existence.

Well, yeah, I guess it's pretty bad to use a term that's both clearly defined and always means the most useful thing to discuss instead of a term whose definition nobody can agree on and usually just means an arbitrary, meaningless subset of the useful thing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 06:31:24 am »
+4

But they ARE Villages! Splitters is the worst name in the history of existence.

Well, yeah, I guess it's pretty bad to use a term that's both clearly defined and always means the most useful thing to discuss instead of a term whose definition nobody can agree on and usually just means an arbitrary, meaningless subset of the useful thing.

Yeah, something you decided was vague and not clearly defined. It's a freaking village. There's no ambiguity. You are so wrong it's not even funny. People argue about Summon with you because sometimes they don't Summon cantrips with it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:32:48 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:06 am »
+3

Do people like it?

Most likely, that would involve a monetary investment into something that can do that, and then the time commitment of adding every card into the database. It does sound cool though.

I don't think so?  GendoIkari rigged up a Chrome extension that does exactly that for f.ds.

Observe: Moat
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2017, 07:34:51 am »

Yeah, something you decided was vague and not clearly defined. It's a freaking village. There's no ambiguity.

I'll believe you as soon as searching for "pseudo-village" returns 0 results.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2017, 10:11:22 am »
+3

But they ARE Villages! Splitters is the worst name in the history of existence. You could call them Woohoos because you're happy every time you play them and it would be way better.
FWIW, village has always made way more sense to me than splitter, and it has never once caused any confusion.  When I started reading the forum, the word splitter did cause confusion.  It took me forever to figure out what the hell a splitter was.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:30 am »

FWIW, village has always made way more sense to me than splitter, and it has never once caused any confusion.  When I started reading the forum, the word splitter did cause confusion.  It took me forever to figure out what the hell a splitter was.

The full name is "action splitter", which is annoying to write out everytime. "Village & co." is also annoying to write out every time, but is what people really mean when they say "village".

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2017, 11:42:45 am »
+1

I'm really kind of coming around to splitter. It's just what you look for when you want to know if you'll be able to play more than one action each turn (ok fine except for Cultist and maybe another edge case that someone will pretend is really important to bring up).

This way we can all just agree that Prince and Throne Room and Saunavanto are splitters and not have to worry about whether they're villages and all be friends.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »

This way we can all just agree that Prince and Throne Room and Saunavanto are splitters and not have to worry about whether they're villages and all be friends.

They're just not called Villages because they don't fit the traditional mold of playing one action for an extra Action, it doesn't mean they can't be villages.

I just don't like calling old things new things when the old thing was perfectly fine. Maybe I'll get used to it. I'll force myself to use splitter for awhile. Maybe I'll like it after a week.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:45:16 pm by Seprix »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2017, 01:19:19 pm »
+8

Please don't use splitters, the term is horrible and deliberately obfuscating. There is nothing being split, hence there can be nothing doing any kind of splitting.

Village, on the other hand, has been dutifully functioning as a pars pro toto since the beginning and is immediately clear to everyone because it corresponds to a simple base card.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 01:24:53 pm »
+4

Please don't use splitters, the term is horrible and deliberately obfuscating. There is nothing being split, hence there can be nothing doing any kind of splitting.

Ha, joke's on you, they are splitting the forum!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2017, 01:47:48 pm »
+2

The distinction can still be important, strategy-wise. Imagine a kingdom with nine terminal cards. If the tenth card says "+2 actions" on it, then you know you'll be able to play a decent number of action cards each turn.

But what if it's Throne Room instead? Then things become trickier: you'll probably only be able to string together a bunch of actions if you have at least two Throne Rooms and a strong terminal draw card in your hand. If it's Golem, then you know you'll be able to play a hard maximum of two terminals in a turn. If it's Royal Carriage, you'll just be able to play a single terminal over and over. If it's Ironmonger or Herald, it will be easier to play multiple actions, but neither of those will be 100% reliable.

In my mind, a "village" is anything that always give you +2 actions if you want them, like Squire and Nobles. A "splitter" or "pseudo-village" is anything that might give you +2 actions if you want them, but not always.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the dusty old Wiki uses the term "Throne Room Variant" instead of Village to refer to anything that plays other cards, like King's Court, Prince, Golem, Herald, etc. This is an especially important distinction now that we have a Vassal, a Throne Room Variant that can never act as a Village.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2017, 01:51:34 pm »
+4

Oh no, what have I done?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 01:55:32 pm »
+3

Donald X. calls villages "villages" and Throne Room variants "thrones", so I have adopted that sort of by default. There's just not so much utility to having a word that encompasses both Village and Herald. Stuff like Herald can be handled on a case-by-case basis and the meaning is usually clear from the context. I just almost never need to refer to "pseudo-villages" as a group.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »
+2

Also, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the first episode of the podcast! You were both great, but I was particularly impressed with Seprix's style. Beyond Awesome, I think you need a better microphone. But I'm not an expert at audio recording, so maybe I'm misidentifying the issue. You sounded very far away, though, and there was a lot of background noise (though the background noise could have partially or completely been on Seprix's end for all I know).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:59:21 pm by LastFootnote »

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2017, 02:02:41 pm »

Village, on the other hand, has been dutifully functioning as a pars pro toto since the beginning and is immediately clear to everyone because it corresponds to a simple base card.

I think visualizing actions with a tree structure makes it pretty clear where the term splitter comes from.

I guess I don't really care so much about which word is used. But the question then is, is Throne Room a village? Is Prince a village? If yes, then it's all good if everyone could agree on that. But I just think a term that includes all these things is better than one that includes Necropolis but excludes Sauna/Avanto.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2017, 02:08:25 pm »

I guess I don't really care so much about which word is used. But the question then is, is Throne Room a village? Is Prince a village? If yes, then it's all good if everyone could agree on that. But I just think a term that includes all these things is better than one that includes Necropolis but excludes Sauna/Avanto.

Why?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 21 queries.