Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!  (Read 20030 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 01:03:08 pm »
+3

Based on the varied responses to my thread on "glhf", I'd be interested in an article exploring the etiquette of online Dominion. I'm not averse to writing it, but I'd want to do much more research (polling etc.) on what people consider the norms before doing so.

Ideas to explore:
-- Pre-game salutations
-- Appropriate ways to comment on game in progress
-- When to resign
-- Ending the game as quickly as possible vs. maximizing points
-- Post-game 'gg' dance

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 01:09:01 pm »
+1

There was a thread (that I can't find right now) where people discuss how they quickly evaluate a kingdom. I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but it would be a fantastic blog post. It's a similar idea to the "key cards" article, but more general.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 02:23:53 pm »
+2

When should I start greening?

I would be very impressed if someone could provide good general advice on this topic.

Obviously doesn't cover every situation but basically how I explain it to brand new players:

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 02:36:23 pm »

I would be very impressed if someone could provide good general advice on this topic.

Obviously doesn't cover every situation but basically how I explain it to brand new players:

Well, that's accurate for big money, but not really any other type of strategy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 02:41:15 pm »

Strategy:
     Related: Rebuild Mirrors (ragingduckd and SCSN, June 2013)
     I believe this appeared on the blog already?

It did: https://dominionstrategy.com/2015/03/16/dark-ages-rebuild-2/

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 02:46:12 pm »

True but I'm talking about the super brand new 101 players, for which that picture is a pretty good quick and dirty way to explain how you want as much green as possible by the end of the game, but the green itself makes your deck weaker and less capable of buying more green.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:53 pm »

Well, that's accurate for big money, but not really any other type of strategy.

Most of the time, I see greening as influencing a curve representing how likely you are to have a "stall" turn that provides only a fraction of your deck's maximum potential (buying/gaining power, attack capabilities, etc.). Double Tactician strategies are a good example of this kind of thing in action.

There can also be a small dropoff in expected potential if you are not drawing your deck or greening starts preventing you from drawing your deck.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to Golden Decks.

Now, for Base and Intrigue only games (especially first edition), this kind of graph might be relevant much more often. That's good if we're talking about new players.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »
+3

As I mentioned before, I'm the admin of a group blog, and I'm willing to send over a copy of our constitution to give you ideas about governance.  It's mostly boring details about procedures to add or remove people from the blog, how to hold a vote, and so forth.  It might be important if you ever have >3 people on the team.  Anyway, the offer still stands.

I am also willing to write a few articles about stuff.  At one point I was interested in writing about VP curves, so I collected data from about a dozen games.  They kinda look like Dingan's curve regardless of deck type, but a few of the details are different.  Maybe I'd also write a basic article about Poacher?  I'm assuming that there's no rush on this because so many people are offering to write articles right now.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:44 pm »
+15

Maybe I'd also write a basic article about Poacher?  I'm assuming that there's no rush on this
Well yeah, a Poacher rush seems particularly bad.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 08:12:43 pm »
+3

Since people are posting ideas here. Here's a few I thought of that are geared a little more toward retention of players/getting people to invest in learning more strategy:

1: Something describing the common skill plateaus people reach (going from buying random stuff, to big money, to engines, to finer considerations such as shuffle control, PPR, etc.) Something like this could be helpful to show the strategic depth of the game, and get people to see that it's a worthwhile investment with enjoyment at each level.

2: How to hook new players. (useful starting kingdoms, dos and don'ts, etc.)

3: Suggestions for if you start leaving your IRL Dominion friends in the dust.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:52 pm »
+4

If the plan is to focus on stuff for new players (ok, focus isn't the right word, but you know what I mean), I think articles on multiplayer games and the differences between those and 2 player games are extremely important, since I doubt many people here played their first game of Dominion with just 1 other person (I know I didn't). Spending time on this site has definitely given me a leg up on my friends in 2-player, but it's harder for me to win in 3 and 4 player games (as of like 6 months ago anyways) because the game just isn't the same. Maybe that's because I'm more of a learn-by-the-books player than I've-got-a-natural-feeling player, but it's definitely different when you have to fight much harder for key piles and you have to play against people who aren't trying to win and are just happy with not getting last.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:19 pm »
+4

I could write a short article on the differences between 2-player and multiplayer games. Here it is:

The difference between 2-player and multiplayer Dominion is that the former is fun.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:58 pm »
+18

I could write a short article on the differences between 2-player and multiplayer games. Here it is:

The difference between 2-player and multiplayer Dominion is that the former is fun.
That's one vote for no articles from Awaclus.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:53 pm »
+3

Damnit, I forgot to put the necessary 'Don't say it Awaclus...' in my post.

It doesn't matter if it's better/more fun or not (and I and pretty much everybody here happen to agree with you), the point is people play it socially and if they want to get better, they start off by learning how to get better against multiple people. Or we can just necro-cannibal all their fun away and they'll just keep playing Monopoly and they won't buy more expansions and and they'll never learn what the heck a Courtier is and nobody will care about Dominion streamers and Youtubers anymore and Josephine Qvist will become the top result for 'Qvist' on Youtube and Dominion will keep plunging down Dice Tower rankings and Donald X will have to declare bankruptcy and nobody new will come to the forums and f.ds will slowly die out and nobody will ever get into pedantic fights with Awaclus ever again. Is that what you want Awaclus?

OK, maybe that's a tad exaggerated, but yes, there are major differences between the two that I and I assume many other people here often forget about because they don't play IRL multiplayer games all that often. And while it's true that general articles are still very useful to new players, don't get me wrong, the game changes noticeably when getting 3 provinces instead of 4 becomes the average.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:26:41 pm by Skumpy »
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:49 pm »

Is that what you want Awaclus?

What I want is to joke around a bit.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
+1

You haven't lived until you've played a 6-player Pirate Ship game.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:15 pm »

I played a 5 player pirate ship game, does it count?

(Hint: secret chamber, pearl diver and conspirator were the key cards).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 01:40:40 am »
+1

On a related note, I encourage Beyond Awesome (or delegate) to comb through the last 3-4 years of articles and feature the best ones on the blog.  There's no need to start from scratch.  I'm sure the community would be willing to help you identify the gems.

I'll start since I combed the Articles archive a year ago or so. Here's my list of greatest hits from 2015 that can probably be repurposed, some of which did appear on the blog before it went dormant, I think. Probably worth focusing on combing 2016-2017 rather than going further back.

Light-Hearted Strategic Fun:
=================================
The 10-Word Card Summary Challenge (OP is not updated. Whole thread is good.)
The Haiku Card Challenge

I would LOVE to see responses in these threads made into blog posts. Ten cards from the 10-word card challenge or ten haikus. Something like that. And these threads are lacking post-Adventures posts.

Strategy:
=================================

Engine Economies and the Limitations of Money Density (WanderingWinder, March 2015)

Rebuild in Non-Mirrors (WanderingWinder, April 2015)
     Related: Rebuild Mirrors (ragingduckd and SCSN, June 2013)
     I believe this appeared on the blog already?

Key Cards (ehunt, August 2015)
Something like this would need to be updated. But I like the rubric style.

Weak Cards (werothegreat, October 2015)
Also partly outdated, but I liked the idea.

End Game Example (DG, February 2015)

Cards, Combos, and Events:
================================
Coin of the Realm (werothegreat, June 2015)
Combo: Bridge and Royal Carriage (aku_chi, October 2015)
Combo: Counting House and Travelling Fair (gamesou, June 2015)
(Crosspost) Duke (Wandering Winder, December 2015)
Menagerie (AdamH, August 2015)
Pilgrimage (jsh357, October 2015)
Rats (Dingan, August 2015)
Watchtower (liopoil, October 2015)

Thanks! I will use this a resource.  8)

Based on the varied responses to my thread on "glhf", I'd be interested in an article exploring the etiquette of online Dominion. I'm not averse to writing it, but I'd want to do much more research (polling etc.) on what people consider the norms before doing so.

Ideas to explore:
-- Pre-game salutations
-- Appropriate ways to comment on game in progress
-- When to resign
-- Ending the game as quickly as possible vs. maximizing points
-- Post-game 'gg' dance

Interesting. My only concern with pregame and salutes and the whole gg thing is that too many people might start overthinking it. Though, an article going over those points could be very valuable.

As I mentioned before, I'm the admin of a group blog, and I'm willing to send over a copy of our constitution to give you ideas about governance.  It's mostly boring details about procedures to add or remove people from the blog, how to hold a vote, and so forth.  It might be important if you ever have >3 people on the team.  Anyway, the offer still stands.

I am also willing to write a few articles about stuff.  At one point I was interested in writing about VP curves, so I collected data from about a dozen games.  They kinda look like Dingan's curve regardless of deck type, but a few of the details are different.  Maybe I'd also write a basic article about Poacher?  I'm assuming that there's no rush on this because so many people are offering to write articles right now.

All of that sounds interesting. Feel free to PM your constitution at any time.

Since people are posting ideas here. Here's a few I thought of that are geared a little more toward retention of players/getting people to invest in learning more strategy:

1: Something describing the common skill plateaus people reach (going from buying random stuff, to big money, to engines, to finer considerations such as shuffle control, PPR, etc.) Something like this could be helpful to show the strategic depth of the game, and get people to see that it's a worthwhile investment with enjoyment at each level.

2: How to hook new players. (useful starting kingdoms, dos and don'ts, etc.)

All of that sounds good. These are articles I would be interested in seeing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:46:01 am by Beyond Awesome »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 09:23:38 am »
+1

You haven't lived until you've played a 6-player Pirate Ship game.
You haven't lived until you've played a 6-player Jester game.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
+2

I prefer 4P over 2P any time. Also I never play Dominion online and don't care about it. Am I special yet?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 11:28:34 am »
+7

I prefer 4P over 2P any time. Also I never play Dominion online and don't care about it. Am I special yet?

Sounds like you belong over at the Strategist's Forum of Dominion, not here.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 11:50:37 am »
+8

Splitters!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
+4

Splitters!

But at least we can all agree to hate the Strategical Dominion Forum.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 02:15:37 pm »
+1

This is actually extremely important I would say.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 02:59:03 pm »
+2

Splitters!

But at least we can all agree to hate the Strategical Dominion Forum.

It appears I shouldn't have wasted that joke on a subforum without upvotes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.