Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!  (Read 20024 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »
+44

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know that I am now managing the Dominion Strategy blog. Now that the blog is under new management, I am looking for new articles to post up. So, if you have an idea for an article, feel free to post it on the forum. I am especially interested in beginner strategy articles for our Dominion 101 series. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to me, or post them below. I am open to hearing everyone's feedback.

Below is the official announcement from the main blog page.

More content is coming to the DominionStrategy blog!

Quite a few years have passed since this blog started, and unfortunately, there has been a while without really any substantial posts or updates.  However, the DominionStrategy blog has come under new management and our new administrator, Beyond Awesome, is assembling a team of writers and Dominion experts to bring weekly content to the blog for new and veteran players alike.

Our tentative schedule is currently:

Mondays: Dominion 101 – a weekly column with advice geared toward new players, to help them get up to speed on Dominion strategy
Wednesdays: Game Analysis – we look at a particularly interesting game, and dissect it
Thursdays: Experts Corner – a weekly guest column where we invite a high-level Dominion player to share their experience with articles geared toward veteran players
Friday: The Outpost – A podcast hosted by Beyond Awesome and Seprix, discussing the latest Dominion news and strategy
Also, keep your eyes out for previews of the upcoming expansion Nocturne.

We hope you enjoy the new blog!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy Blog Returns!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 02:52:15 pm »
+3

Wednesdays: Game Analysis – we look at a particularly interesting game, and dissect it

It would be great if there was a well-formatted log available after Dominion Online games to anyone with the hyperlink, regardless of subscription. Links to these logs from this column would be good advertising for Dominion Online. This column would also be easier to write if links to well-formatted game logs were easily available. Having available game logs might also resurrect the game report forum, which would provide sample games to analyze. Maybe you can talk to Stef about this.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:33:07 pm »

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know that I am now managing the Dominion Strategy blog. Now that the blog is under new management, I am looking for new articles to post up. So, if you have an idea for an article, feel free to post it on the forum. I am especially interested in beginner strategy articles for our Dominion 101 series. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to me, or post them below. I am open to hearing everyone's feedback.

Great news! Could you please give a little more information on what qualities you are expecting for the beginner strategy articles? Do individual card articles count? Should it be geared toward base only players? Should it just be about general principles (e.g. the deck type articles)? Is anything fine as long as it doesn't get too caught up in edge-case minutiae?

Finally, if we have article ideas, but aren't likely to write them ourselves, where should we share those ideas? Here? Should I make a "articles ideas" thread in the articles section?

Thanks!

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:16:53 pm »

I'm thrilled!  That blog was my first window into strategy more complicated than balancing the number of +actions and terminals my deck had. 

How will the podcast be distributed?  Will I be able to find it on my podcast app? 

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:30:26 pm »
+7

Good luck!

I'd be happy to contribute with an essay on Silver and when not to buy it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »
+9

Tuesdays, random articles like the six just posted in the Articles forum?

I think random articles are like the main thing you can hope to get, that not using them means passing up on lots of content, while using them means having content that doesn't fit neatly into your categories.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »
+2

Tuesdays, random articles like the six just posted in the Articles forum?

I think random articles are like the main thing you can hope to get, that not using them means passing up on lots of content, while using them means having content that doesn't fit neatly into your categories.

I suspect a lot of Articles can fit in the 101 header as well, as long as they're even vaguely accessible to newer players. But I think the intent is like articles about why drawing cards is good or how to sniff out an engine.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »
+4

Ah, a reason to add dominionstrategy.com back into my bookmarks, to enjoy the company of F.DS, W.DS, and dominion.games.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:21:22 pm »
+1

A 101 topic came to mind, but I'm not a writer, so if anyone thinks it's good, they should write it. The topic is, "the importance of early economy". Commentary on how your starting deck is not good at hitting 5, the importance of $5 cards, and why buying a Village on turn 1 is a bad idea.

It's possible this article already exists.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:39:39 pm by Deadlock39 »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:21:45 pm »
+5

Possible 101 topic: What is Dominion 2nd Edition? And Where Did Scout Go?

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 09:27:38 pm »
+21

Possible 101 topic: What is Dominion 2nd Edition? And Where Did Scout Go?

The latter would be more fitting in a 404 topic.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 10:32:01 pm »

I'm on my phone at work right now, but I will respond to everyone's questions later tonight.

filovirus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 10:39:19 pm »
+3

I know I'm new here, but I've been looking on YouTube for strategies on specific cards. How they work best, how to get maximum use from them, what types of cards they combo with, as well as specific interactions with other cards. Not much exists, especially for expansions.

A pairing of the blog and YouTube could help a 101 type article. Being able to read a write up and then a link to a YouTube video would help a lot.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
+5

This is beyond awesome.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:05 am »
+1

A 101 topic came to mind, but I'm not a writer, so if anyone thinks it's good, they should write it. The topic is, "the importance of early economy". Commentary on how your starting deck is not good at hitting 5, the importance of $5 cards, and why buying a Village on turn 1 is a bad idea.

It's possible this article already exists.

I'll add that to my ever-growing list of things I want to write about, like Forum and Mountain Pass.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:53 am »

If you're looking for ideas, I'll throw some out...

When should I start greening?
How many Silvers is too many?  Not enough?
Presets suitable for beginners?
When to ignore trashers?
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 03:28:13 am »
+1

Great news! Could you please give a little more information on what qualities you are expecting for the beginner strategy articles? Do individual card articles count? Should it be geared toward base only players? Should it just be about general principles (e.g. the deck type articles)? Is anything fine as long as it doesn't get too caught up in edge-case minutiae?

Finally, if we have article ideas, but aren't likely to write them ourselves, where should we share those ideas? Here? Should I make a "articles ideas" thread in the articles section?

A begginner article shouldn't be too in-depth, but taking into account some edge cases is fine. Individual card articles do count. There are some cards out there that would make for excellent beginner articles. I'm pretty open to what people write. If I feel something is off, I will provide feedback. If I feel the article is too much for a beginner but I think it's good, I will still put it up, but not as a Dominion 101 article.

Sure, if you want to start a thread of article ideas, I'm all for that. Wero has made a list of some ideas, but he hasn't posted it in a thread.

How will the podcast be distributed?  Will I be able to find it on my podcast app?

The plan is too post it on YouTube to start and also the main blog page. Once things get more situated, I will look at adding it to iTunes as well.

Good luck!

I'd be happy to contribute with an essay on Silver and when not to buy it.

I would love to see that article!

I know I'm new here, but I've been looking on YouTube for strategies on specific cards. How they work best, how to get maximum use from them, what types of cards they combo with, as well as specific interactions with other cards. Not much exists, especially for expansions.

A pairing of the blog and YouTube could help a 101 type article. Being able to read a write up and then a link to a YouTube video would help a lot.

I don't have anything like that planned, but I am open to the possibility of making a YouTube video discussing strategy about specific cards or combos. If it goes over well, more of these videos might get made.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:01 am »
+1

...When should I start greening?...

I second this one.

My entire playgroup is lost on this one.
invariably, someone will throw down 8$ early in the game, and there will be a pause as they try to figure out if it's time to buy a province or not, and pretty much no one at the table knows the right answer.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 10:46:32 am »
+7

I would be very impressed if someone could provide good general advice on this topic.  I would be stunned if that advice was also accessible and applicable to beginners.  Even at the top levels of play, it's common to see players green too early (I'm often guilty of this) and green too late.  Not only is the answer to this question heavily dependent on the board, it's also heavily dependent on your opponent's strategy and the state of the game.  That being said, Titandrake's article: Who's the Beatdown? will provide a good framework for how you can go about answering this question.

On a related note, I encourage Beyond Awesome (or delegate) to comb through the last 3-4 years of articles and feature the best ones on the blog.  There's no need to start from scratch.  I'm sure the community would be willing to help you identify the gems.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:35 pm »

On a related note, I encourage Beyond Awesome (or delegate) to comb through the last 3-4 years of articles and feature the best ones on the blog.  There's no need to start from scratch.  I'm sure the community would be willing to help you identify the gems.

+1
That would be great from my perspective as a newbie that just started looking at these forums.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »

If you're looking for ideas, I'll throw some out...

When to ignore trashers?

I like this idea a lot, and it's one I'm personally interested in, but I think it should be geared toward very experienced players. I think most players still err on the side of not trashing enough. In the hundreds of games I've played in the past few months, there are many instances where I didn't trash enough (i.e. I lost because my opponent grabbed a second or third trasher) and maybe a handful of instances that I recognize (important caveat) where I lost because I should have ignored trashing altogether.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 12:50:38 pm »

I dunno if we're moving away from specific card articles, but one card that I think warrants one is Groundskeeper. I'm not the person to write it, but I think it's still pretty underrated.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 12:53:58 pm »

I would be very impressed if someone could provide good general advice on this topic.  I would be stunned if that advice was also accessible and applicable to beginners.  Even at the top levels of play, it's common to see players green too early (I'm often guilty of this) and green too late.  Not only is the answer to this question heavily dependent on the board, it's also heavily dependent on your opponent's strategy and the state of the game.  That being said, Titandrake's article: Who's the Beatdown? will provide a good framework for how you can go about answering this question.

I just read this for the first time -- it's great! -- and I think it would be a fantastic blog article, especially if the Magic-specific terms were more clearly defined up front.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 12:56:37 pm »
+1

I dunno if we're moving away from specific card articles, but one card that I think warrants one is Groundskeeper. I'm not the person to write it, but I think it's still pretty underrated.

It's on my list of stuff to do. I've written and deleted a few drafts, but it has a lot going on.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 01:02:29 pm »
+6

I'll start since I combed the Articles archive a year ago or so. Here's my list of greatest hits from 2015 that can probably be repurposed, some of which did appear on the blog before it went dormant, I think. Probably worth focusing on combing 2016-2017 rather than going further back.

Light-Hearted Strategic Fun:
=================================
The 10-Word Card Summary Challenge (OP is not updated. Whole thread is good.)
The Haiku Card Challenge

I would LOVE to see responses in these threads made into blog posts. Ten cards from the 10-word card challenge or ten haikus. Something like that. And these threads are lacking post-Adventures posts.

Strategy:
=================================

Engine Economies and the Limitations of Money Density (WanderingWinder, March 2015)

Rebuild in Non-Mirrors (WanderingWinder, April 2015)
     Related: Rebuild Mirrors (ragingduckd and SCSN, June 2013)
     I believe this appeared on the blog already?

Key Cards (ehunt, August 2015)
Something like this would need to be updated. But I like the rubric style.

Weak Cards (werothegreat, October 2015)
Also partly outdated, but I liked the idea.

End Game Example (DG, February 2015)

Cards, Combos, and Events:
================================
Coin of the Realm (werothegreat, June 2015)
Combo: Bridge and Royal Carriage (aku_chi, October 2015)
Combo: Counting House and Travelling Fair (gamesou, June 2015)
(Crosspost) Duke (Wandering Winder, December 2015)
Menagerie (AdamH, August 2015)
Pilgrimage (jsh357, October 2015)
Rats (Dingan, August 2015)
Watchtower (liopoil, October 2015)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.