Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Which Removed Cards Do You Use IRL?  (Read 8504 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Which Removed Cards Do You Use IRL?
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:51:26 pm »
+1

Clearly this poll only applies to people who own 1e Base and/or 1e Intrigue IRL. I am curious what everyone does in this regard. Any secret Secret Chamber admirers?

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Which Removed Cards Do You Use IRL?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:15:32 pm »

The strictly true answer is I don't have enough card sleeves for both my 1e cards and their replacements, so I've retired all of them. For my own enjoyment of the game, I don't miss any of these cards. For teaching purposes I'd be tempted to include a couple of them for a game or two for a lesson on critical card evaluation (i.e. when is Woodcutter better than a Silver? What would it take for Adventurer to be better than a Gold?), but there are other ways to make those points.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:58:33 pm »
+1

Back when I only had Base and Seaside and played quite a few Base only IRL games, before 2nd Editions came out, I got fed up with boring games with lots of dead cards and decided to remove Spy, Thief, Woodcutter, Chancellor, Adventurer, Feast and Bureaucrat (Mine was a candidate as well but apparently people like it). I managed to convince my friends that this made the game far more enjoyable. Now that I have both 1st ed Base and 1st ed Intrigue I don't use any of the removed cards (and I didn't put Bureaucrat back in the box either).

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:13 pm »

I only have 1st ed. base irl. Haven't played in a while, but I'm partial to all of them but Woodcutter. That's just too plain honestly, surprised it sees so much use. I mean I guess it isn't especially weak among removed cards. But why would I use it? Messenger is that and Chancellor plus the 'gifting' ability, and it's like I use that all the time. At least Thief can be made interesting, w/ good treasure you'd want to steal and not just trash(Bandit.) Spy can be nice w/ Jester and the like. Nothing special ofc but good enough.

Removed cards seem more traditional or something. Why I might want to use Feast when really there isn't any reason to.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:34 pm »
+10

I don't mind Secret Chamber
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »
+1

I love alt vp and find great hall innocuous, so I've kept it in. I enjoy the surprise and risk factor of tribute so I've kept it. I still have coppersmith, but I honestly don't know why. And I still keep thief around because my nephews are obsessed with it. Also, I pretty much never play competitively irl, so weak cards get used more often.

The card I'm most happy is gone is spy. It was just unbearable to sit and watch people play it over and over only for it to have almost no effect on anything.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:49:08 pm »

They sit in the back of one of my storage binders, but I never use them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:50:28 pm »
+1

I use Woodcutter and Feast. They're decent enough.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:18:30 am »

In theory, I still use Coppersmith, but it hasn't come up since it was removed.

filovirus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:33:41 am »

Great Hall was always a good acquisition near end game with an extra buy and three coins left. I still keep it in.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:04 am »
+1

I got rid of them all (gave away my first edition sets) and honestly I haven't missed any of them one bit.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:53 am »
+9

I still have spy.

Yeah, it's bad, and it's time consuming, but my friend's daughter thinks it's hilarious to tell all the adults around the table what to do

And by extension, we all love watching her do it. When she actually hits a good card that does make a difference, we'll loudly bemoan the loss for her benefit so she can cackle with glee!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 11:31:27 am »
+2

All 12. The fact that they're not in second edition makes no difference at all to me using them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 11:32:39 am »
+4

All of them. Why should I not ? I don't own 2ed, not going to exclude cards just because they were replaced in it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 11:45:38 am »
+1

All of them. Why should I not ? I don't own 2ed, not going to exclude cards just because they were replaced in it.

I only play with a small subset of cards IRL, because carrying my entire Dominion collection around just isn't very practical. I change the setup sometimes (i.e. never because I don't play very often anyway) though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 01:43:09 pm »

I own Base 1e, but don't play with them.  The fewer cards to choose from makes up for the more interesting cards that I have.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 03:37:45 pm »

The only one I kept was Coppersmith, and it has replaced Woodcutter when I teach new players. By far my least favorite 1E card removed was Secret Chamber, so I haven't been playing with that one for a long time.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 01:45:04 pm »

I kept Saboteur and Coppersmith for being the most interesting.  Using binders, I had room for 2 cards to be saved - though would have been better to keep 1 base 1 Intrigue.  I would like Woodcutter and Thief as well but not enough to stick them in some other set.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 01:50:42 am »
+2

I love alt vp and find great hall innocuous, so I've kept it in. I enjoy the surprise and risk factor of tribute so I've kept it. I still have coppersmith, but I honestly don't know why. And I still keep thief around because my nephews are obsessed with it. Also, I pretty much never play competitively irl, so weak cards get used more often.
For one of my groups, there would be a rush for it, so consider that an empty pile

The card I'm most happy is gone is spy. It was just unbearable to sit and watch people play it over and over only for it to have almost no effect on anything.
I usually don't figure out the combos first, but did manage to surprise everyone when I told them to leave their Gold on top.  Then came the Thief ;)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »
+9

Feast was cool in a necromancer game.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 04:57:57 pm »

With Thief around, that would REALLY muck with the Heirlooms.  For both better AND for worse.  And it's not like you just avoid it since you start off with it, but you can still lose it as it was apart of you to start!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 05:44:06 pm »
+2

I actually have used them.... as proxies for fan cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »
+1

Woodcutter. It's weak, but it's a simple card that doesn't take too contrived of a board to serve a meaningful role.

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »

I have all the expansions/2nd editions and include all the banned cards. I don't have the problems/issues with any of the cards that others have.

We draw random and deal with what we get. Any card, good or bad, can be useless/useful in any given set. Every kingdom we draw is fun to play. Some kingdoms are just tougher to figure out, which is what it's about, right?

No veto. No exclusions. No whining about likes and dislikes.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 04:57:39 pm »
+1

I have all the expansions/2nd editions and include all the banned cards. I don't have the problems/issues with any of the cards that others have.

We draw random and deal with what we get. Any card, good or bad, can be useless/useful in any given set. Every kingdom we draw is fun to play. Some kingdoms are just tougher to figure out, which is what it's about, right?

No veto. No exclusions. No whining about likes and dislikes.

I would argue that weak cards make for kingdoms that are easier to figure out, but this was discussed ad nauseam when second edition came out so maybe I should have kept my mouth shut.
I only miss those cards for sentimental reasons, and have used them all as proxies for fan cards.
I wish something could be done for the rest of Dominion, but I am afraid that the only solution is to houserule the extreme outliers in power level, and to endure them online. Looking forward to ban lists online.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:22:42 am by Accatitippi »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.