Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bonfire Synergies and Tactics  (Read 7721 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Bonfire Synergies and Tactics
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:28:36 pm »
+21

What does Bonfire do?
Bonfire trashes two cards from play. Usually these are Coppers, but it can be anything you play but don't want anymore - a trashing Action that has reached the limit of its usefulness, or perhaps a Potion, maybe some Ruins somebody gave you.

What makes it a unique and powerful trasher?
Bonfire makes your deck thin faster than almost any other trasher in Dominion. Instantly removing two cards from your deck before the end of the first shuffle is a very rare skill, and Bonfire does it easily. It's easy to underestimate how powerful this effect is, and to think Bonfire compares unfavorably to other trashers just because it can't nab Estates. Despite that, it's important to realize that Bonfire instantly improves the tempo of your deck, rather than waiting for the next shuffle to do so. And the faster you thin, the more quickly and more often you get to use the good cards you're filling your deck with. Nothing in the game (except Donate) trashes faster than Bonfire.

Another strength of Bonfire is its low opportunity cost. It only costs $3 and a Buy to play - and in most cases, you're paying for $2 of that $3 with the Coppers you intend to trash. Not competing for terminal space with early Actions is a huge plus, and basically only costing a Buy and $1 is also a bonus. How often do you gain cards anyway on turns you trash 2 Coppers with Stewart or Remake?

Finally, Bonfire can trash multiple times per shuffle, potentially. Usually you get thin so quickly that this doesn't matter, but other trashers are usually played every other turn until you get really thin. Bonfire can be bought on multiple consecutive turns, getting your Coppers cleaned out in 3-4 turns.

What are Bonfire's limitations?
The most obvious drawback of Bonfire is that you cannot trash any Estates with it (unless you Inherit them, but at that point you want to keep them anyway). This poses a limit on how thin you can get, and having three stop cards that don't even generate economy can be quite the bummer. Additionally, when using Bonfire as the only trashing mechanism, you have to buy it 4 times to get rid of all your Coppers. When you buy trashing Actions (or Donate), you only need to spend 1 Buy to trash down, though you'll usually spend multiple Actions on it.

Bonfire can certainly be used as the only trasher on the board, but it is best paired with another trasher as a way to speed up the process of thinning. Additionally, it helps to have some way to make up for the lost economy, such as a gainer.

How to use Bonfire: Synergies and Examples
You want to pair Bonfire with a good Action in most cases, that really enjoys being played early and frequently, in order to get the game off to a good start. Cards that trash Estates, gain useful cards, or provide early economy are perfect companions for Bonfire. Below are a few quick examples and case studies. The intent here isn't to produce an exhaustive list but to give you an idea of the kind of synergy you can seek out while experimenting with Bonfire.

Jack of All Trades
The synergy between Jack and Bonfire was one of the earliest discoveries revealing Bonfire's strength, and it is a powerful combo that makes for a strong money variant or a smooth transition into a more complex engine. The execution is simple - open Jack / Bonfire, then Bonfire until you're out of Coppers, playing Jack to trash Estates and gain Silvers. By Turn 5 or 6, you have a deck that's trashed down to Jack, 3-4 Silvers, and maybe a stray Copper - a good place to pivot toward a more traditional engine! Consider how even with Chapel, you would be lucky to have your deck cleaned out by turn 5 or 6, and you can see how this is lightning fast. Once you're done, you can get rid of the Jack and last Copper if you want (in the engine case), or you can just play a money strategy that can quickly green and win the Province split in a couple of turns.

Jack is basically an ideal partner for Bonfire, since it provides gaining / economy, trashes Estates, and even draws up to ensure you always have $3 and that you cycle the Jack very quickly. Other trashers and silver gainers like Remake and Amulet can work in a very similar fashion, albeit without the benefit of Jack's drawing.

Transmute
Transmute is one of the worst cards in Dominion, but with just the addition of Bonfire it can actually do something. It's not particularly effective, but it's cute. Similar to Jack, it trashes Estates effectively but isn't very good at trashing other cards. Howveer, it gains Golds instead of Silvers when trashing Estates, making it a bigger economy boost in fewer stop cards than Jack. Bonfire minimizes the downsides of Transmute - it thins out Coppers so it can line up with Estates, it gets rid of that Potion that is probably useless to you after buying Transmute, and it can even dump the Transmute when you're done! The process is simple - buy one Potion and Bonfire whenever you can, buying the Transmute as soon as possible (unless you hit 3P, then Bonfire). It's not quite as fast as Jack since it doesn't draw and you have to grab a Potion first, but you end up with 3 Golds instead of 3-4 Silvers, which is really cool considering how bad Transmute normally is. You can then either play a money variant or pivot to engine.

Hermit
Hermit at first glance looks like it behaves similarly to Jack, but Hermit Bonfire strategies take full advantage of its unrestricted $3-gaining and Bonfire's status as a thing you can buy that isn't a card in order to enable megaturn strategies. When you buy Bonfire, you probably didn't buy a card, so you get to trash Hermit for a Madman. When you play Hermit on a turn you would lose it, gain another Hermit instead of a Silver, and then Bonfire. You trash 2 Coppers and ideally an Estate, with the net gain of +1 Madman to your deck, ideal for enabling a megaturn later. If you want to gain a Silver instead, buy a component instead of Bonfire in order to keep the Hermit (though, try to avoid doing this until you're already mostly thin). You end up with less easy economy than the Jack strategy, but the Madmen tend to make up for it if you're going for something like a Bridge based strategy.

Other Trashers
Bonfire is neat with almost any other "heavy trasher" because it can ensure that you get to play that trasher by Turn 4! This is a huge deal, as anyone who's had their Chapel miss the second shuffle will tell you. Additionally, you can get your Turn 3 buy on Turn 5, which is just super fast. Later, you can use Bonfire to trash the Trasher itself. Even without specific synergy between the trasher and Bonfire, you'll probably end up buying Bonfire once or twice to accelerate. It's like rocket fuel for thinning! Special mention goes to things like Apprentice, Salvager, etc. that don't really like trashing Coppers anyway.

Baron
Not the strongest synergy, but fairly simple and effective. Baron loves Estates, Bonfire thins out all those Coppers so you're quickly spiking $5+ and multiple Buys. A Baron / Bonfire opening can be a powerful way to really quickly buy expensive engine components.

Ironworks, Engineer, etc.
Gainers are another strong synergy. Freeing yourself of the requirements of early economy to gain cards, you can use your Buys on Bonfire and still develop your deck quickly. If you run out of stuff to gain with the gainer, just trash it with Bonfire and be done with it. This allows you to get gainers even if their shelf life ends up being pretty short.

Conclusion
Bonfire is fast, like all Events. You get the benefit immediately. The lack of Estate trashing means Bonfire can't do everything, but even getting rid of seven junk cards can do wonders for a deck. Paired with any number of enablers to ensure you can get off the ground while you're trashing your Copper, Bonfire can give you momentum extremely quickly, which smart Dominion players will use to their advantage.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:45:32 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Bonfire Synergies and Tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
+2

What does Bonfire do?
Bonfire trashes two cards from play. Usually these are Coppers, but it can be anything you play but don't want anymore - a trashing Action that has reached the limit of its usefulness, or perhaps a Potion, maybe some Ruins somebody gave you.

Necropolis!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 09:32:47 pm »
+1

You did the thing!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:56:28 pm »
+5

I'm probably going to take the Transmute bit out, probably sliding an Amulet bit in its place or something.

bug me on discord

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:07:50 pm »

I'm probably going to take the Transmute bit out, probably sliding an Amulet bit in its place or something.

Why?  The Transmute bit is interesting, and it highlights a little-used card, to boot.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:49 pm »
+2

Why?  The Transmute bit is interesting, and it highlights a little-used card, to boot.

Because after further analysis, it appears it probably isn't actually good unless the board is very weak.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:14:47 am »
+2

How often do you gain cards anyway on turns you trash 2 Coppers with Stewart or Remake?
*giggle*

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 12:29:16 am »
+1

It might be worth mentioning:

Generally, you should not open with Bonfire if there are important $5 cards you want early (e.g. Cultist, Junk Dealer) - Bonfire hurts your early economy.  But, even in these situations, there will likely be opportunities beyond the first shuffle to buy Bonfire to trash Copper.

And also, two more synergies: Squire and Hunting Grounds.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:10 am »
+1

I think the article should focus less on specific synergies and more on general strength. The way it is written now, one would assume that Bonfire is the strongest trasher in existence. Downsides aren't really discussed. And where there are comparisons to other trashers, you make it sound as though Bonfire wins out against Steward, Remake or Masquerade, which I am pretty sure is not the case. You really should discuss:

- losing 2 Coppers early hurts your ecomony and makes it hard to get more stuff. How to make up for that.
- the ratio of coins spent per card trashed is way higher than for any other trasher. What this means when comparing Bonfire to other trashers.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:39:12 am »
+1

Couple things that could be expanded upon:

-Playing your other card by turn 4 is really really good. (And your turn 3 buy on t5 happens, too right?) This deserves 1-2 sentences in the general strategy section.

-Like others have said, something about early economy would be nice. What chance has Monument/Bonfire (or Silver/Bonfire, doesn't matter) to hit $5? or to hit Bonfire/Silver again the next shuffle? The necro trash could have a small place here aswell.

I also think hitting $5 isn't that important because you can build up nicely after being thin, but I suppose it necessary on some boards.

-like aku said, HG is really nice for the last turn- probably deserves a mention.

Otherwise, good article!
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 09:25:17 am »

I think the article should focus less on specific synergies and more on general strength. The way it is written now, one would assume that Bonfire is the strongest trasher in existence. Downsides aren't really discussed. And where there are comparisons to other trashers, you make it sound as though Bonfire wins out against Steward, Remake or Masquerade, which I am pretty sure is not the case. You really should discuss:

- losing 2 Coppers early hurts your ecomony and makes it hard to get more stuff. How to make up for that.

I think expanding or featuring in more detail the "other trashers" thing will help clear this up. I figured it was sort of obvious that you would not go "oh there's Bonfire, better not buy any other trashers", but do some of each. It's not really competing head to head against Remake or Steward - you buy both.

- the ratio of coins spent per card trashed is way higher than for any other trasher. What this means when comparing Bonfire to other trashers.

This doesn't actually mean anything, though. Like, you don't care about Total Coins Spent when trashing, especially when most of those coins are really the coins you are trashing. I guess you care about the Buys you spend on trashing, but you don't usually buy anything on trashing turns as it is.

bug me on discord

they/them

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 09:58:44 am »
+1

I think expanding or featuring in more detail the "other trashers" thing will help clear this up. I figured it was sort of obvious that you would not go "oh there's Bonfire, better not buy any other trashers", but do some of each. It's not really competing head to head against Remake or Steward - you buy both.
Well I agree, but I think for someone who is not experienced enough to know this the article will be confusing. And I would think that that is the intended target audience, even though the actual target audience is a bunch of Dominion vets with too much free time on their hands.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:25 am »

Did a little cleanup, downplayed Transmute, added a limitations blurb.

bug me on discord

they/them

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 09:38:43 am »
+3

In practice, I find the loss of economy a much larger concern than the use of buys. (Most of the time, if you want bonfire, there will be a card which gives +buys)

The major downside of bonfire is that, until you average 1 coin per card, it actively hurts your economy. This fact explains most all  its synergies (with gainers/remodelers) and most of its weaknesses.

Other than this, the article is fantastic, but this point really needs to be emphasized. Especially when we are talking about beginners.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 11:53:02 am »

In practice, I find the loss of economy a much larger concern than the use of buys. (Most of the time, if you want bonfire, there will be a card which gives +buys)

The major downside of bonfire is that, until you average 1 coin per card, it actively hurts your economy. This fact explains most all  its synergies (with gainers/remodelers) and most of its weaknesses.

Other than this, the article is fantastic, but this point really needs to be emphasized. Especially when we are talking about beginners.

Beginners don't need that emphasis, they already overvalue their Coppers.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:31 am »

Beginners don't need that emphasis, they already overvalue their Coppers.
Jfrisch's point is appropriate and generalizations don't help the argument. Also this article isn't directed to beginners only.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 10:25:10 am »
+3

Jfrisch's point is appropriate and generalizations don't help the argument. Also this article isn't directed to beginners only.

It's appropriate in the sense that they're allowed to make that point, but I don't think it's a very good point. There are only three types of Dominion advice:

- the kind that's so vague that nobody can understand what it really means
 - the kind that's so specific that the situation never comes up
 - generalizations that are sometimes wrong

The only useful type is the last one.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »
+7

I’m gonna be honest, I have trained a lot of beginners in Dominion, and basically none of them over emphasize trashing at the expense of early economy. It’s always the other way around. Shockingly I agree with Awaclus - beginners need to hear “fast trashing is just so great”, not “don’t do it or you’ll fuck up your economy”.

We don’t include with every trasher ever a disclaimer about how gutting Coppers means you can’t spend the money they would have produced. No need to do that here.

I have some edits I’ve been meaning to make to this article for months - mostly gutting the examples and expanding a bit at the beginning - just haven’t gotten to it yet
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:20:43 pm by Chris is me »

bug me on discord

they/them

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 01:38:35 pm »

I see a lot of comments on Bonfire hurting early economy; but isn't it improving how quickly you can ramp up to a better economy?

Not necessarily in this article, but I'd like to see more discussion or maybe simulations on Bonfire v. other openings, especially when there is a critical $5 cost card out.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:13 pm »
+3

So is this one of those generalizations that is sometimes wrong? :P

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:56 pm »
+1

If you really want a $5 card on turn 3 or 4, you should not open Bonfire.  The same can be said of Chapel, Ambassador, and Remake; but those cards can remove Estates, so it's easier to rebound from 3 Copper into a deck with sufficient economy.  Doctor might be a good comparison.  Opening Doctor and hitting Coppers leads to low-economy early turns.  This can be fine if (a) getting thin fast is valuable, (b) there is a reasonable way to build up economy, and (c) there aren't power $5s that you need early.

I want to reiterate that, even on boards where it doesn't make sense to open with Bonfire (of which there are many), there are usually opportunities to Bonfire later on - even in a moneyish game.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 05:52:32 pm »

So is this one of those generalizations that is sometimes wrong? :P
Awaclus's generalization is not about Dominion, it's about Dominion advice. It doesn't have to fall into any of his three listed categories. :P

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »
+1

Sometime ago I wrote some lines about Bonfire (my plan was to write an article but never had the chance).

Some works about economy...
It is well known that your chances of hitting at least one $5 on T3 and T4 opening double Silver is 92%.
Opening Bonfire-Silver, this percentage drops to 64%.
It also combos with Baron. You increase your estate density, helping your barons not miss the estates.
Chances of colliding Baron/Estate on turns 3 and 4 when you open Baron/Bonfire is 88%.
Bonfire-Messenger (delivering Silver) is also a good opening if you want to hit $5.

Bonfire also usually works really well with most Dark Ages cards, those you gain a benefit by trashing it. In a Rats deck, you can have more control by using Bonfire. Too many Squires? Trade a couple of them into nice $5-6 cost attacks.
You can also do trick things with Bonfire. As commented by someone on the discussion forum, you can trash a Fortress in play, put it into your hand and top-deck it using Save. I honestly believe this is more an edge case (since it needs three cards) but is worth noticing.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 21 queries.