Dominion > Dominion Articles

Bonfire Synergies and Tactics

<< < (5/5)

aku_chi:
If you really want a $5 card on turn 3 or 4, you should not open Bonfire.  The same can be said of Chapel, Ambassador, and Remake; but those cards can remove Estates, so it's easier to rebound from 3 Copper into a deck with sufficient economy.  Doctor might be a good comparison.  Opening Doctor and hitting Coppers leads to low-economy early turns.  This can be fine if (a) getting thin fast is valuable, (b) there is a reasonable way to build up economy, and (c) there aren't power $5s that you need early.

I want to reiterate that, even on boards where it doesn't make sense to open with Bonfire (of which there are many), there are usually opportunities to Bonfire later on - even in a moneyish game.

jonaskoelker:

--- Quote from: Dingan on November 09, 2017, 01:50:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: Awaclus on November 09, 2017, 10:25:10 am ---The only useful type is the last one.

--- End quote ---
So is this one of those generalizations that is sometimes wrong? :P

--- End quote ---
Awaclus's generalization is not about Dominion, it's about Dominion advice. It doesn't have to fall into any of his three listed categories. :P

diedre91:
Sometime ago I wrote some lines about Bonfire (my plan was to write an article but never had the chance).

Some works about economy...
It is well known that your chances of hitting at least one $5 on T3 and T4 opening double Silver is 92%.
Opening Bonfire-Silver, this percentage drops to 64%.
It also combos with Baron. You increase your estate density, helping your barons not miss the estates.
Chances of colliding Baron/Estate on turns 3 and 4 when you open Baron/Bonfire is 88%.
Bonfire-Messenger (delivering Silver) is also a good opening if you want to hit $5.

Bonfire also usually works really well with most Dark Ages cards, those you gain a benefit by trashing it. In a Rats deck, you can have more control by using Bonfire. Too many Squires? Trade a couple of them into nice $5-6 cost attacks.
You can also do trick things with Bonfire. As commented by someone on the discussion forum, you can trash a Fortress in play, put it into your hand and top-deck it using Save. I honestly believe this is more an edge case (since it needs three cards) but is worth noticing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version