Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Text Only] Dark Fortunes (Some Debt related and other cards)  (Read 2147 times)

Whimsical

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
[Text Only] Dark Fortunes (Some Debt related and other cards)
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:52:15 am »
+2

Disclaimer: This is my first stab at making Dominion cards, I've probably made some horrible mistakes, but I'm open to criticism. That being said, on to the cards. Note that <> is shorthand for Debt.

Treasure - Reaction
Cost: $5
$2. When you play this, if you have <>, you can +$3. If you do, advance to your Clean-Up phase.
-------------------------------
When you discard this, you may pay off <>.
When an opponent plays an attack, if you don't have <>, you can reveal this card, take <2>. If you do, at the start of your next turn +1 Card.

Debtor's Prison
Action - Attack - Duration
Cost: 4
+$2. Each other player with <> discards down to 3 cards, and +$2 for each player that discarded.
At the end of each other player's turn, they take <1> for each card they gained.

Clashing Forces
Action - Reaction
The player to your left reveals the top card of their Deck. Reveal the top card of your Deck, if it costs more than your opponent's card, discard it and gain a Silver card putting it to your hand, otherwise trash it.
---------------------------------
When an opponent plays an Attack, you can discard this, then play an Attack from your hand. If you do, trash that Attack.

Well this is my attempt at doing what the guide said not to do, a reaction that hurts the attacker. Hopefully this will offset the issue of people not wanting to buy Attacks while this is out by requiring Attacks, plus if someone does use it on it, it also trashes the Attack the opponent gets to use so it's hopefully not all bad.

Banker
Action
Cost: <5>
+1 Action
Set aside up to 3 Treasures costing $2 or more from your hand. Draw a card per Treasure set aside, then put those cards on your Deck.

Fraudulent Transaction
Action - Attack
Cost: 5
You can trash this card. If you do, +$2 and each other player without <> takes <2>.
--------------------------------
While this card is in play, all cards costs $1 less. While this card is in play, when you buy a card, each other player takes <1> (to a max of <5>) if you have not bought a card with the same name this turn.

Collateral
Action - Duration
Cost: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
Set aside a card costing between $4 and $7 from your hand (under this). If you do, +$ up to its cost in coins, but during your Clean-Up phase, take an equal amount of <>. During the end of your next turn, if you have <>, lose <> equal to the cost in coins of the card you set aside and trash that card, otherwise discard it.

Clock Tower
Action - Reaction
Cost: $12*
+1 Action
Trash Clock Towers from the Supply, up to the number of your remaining Actions, then -1 Action for each card trashed.
If you do, and there are no Clock Towers left in the Supply, return all trashed Clock Towers to the Supply, then gain an Action card, costing less than this, from the Supply, putting it in your hand, then play it twice, but return it to the Supply when it leaves play. You can only do this once per turn.
When you discard this card from play, you can return it to the Supply.
When an opponent plays an attack, you can reveal this card from your hand, trash a Clock Tower from the Supply, then put this card on the top or bottom of your Deck. This costs $1 less for each Clock Tower in its Supply pile, but not less than $0.

Capricious Village
Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you play this between...
0:01 and 7:00 +$1, take your -1 Card token.
7:01 and 12:00, +1 Buy
12:01 and 17:00, +1 Card, discard 1 card.
17:00 and 00:00, trash 1 card from your hand.
-----------------------------------------
Set Up: Each player tells each other player their Time Zone, or lies about their Time Zone. If a player can be shown to be lying about their Time Zone, they cannot play Capricious Village, and all Capricious Villages in their Deck are worth -1 Victory.
I have no idea why I did this. Despite being a silly idea, I still tried to make it balanced.

Shoddy Bridge
Action - Duration
Choose one: +1 Buy, +$1.
If you trashed a card this turn, choose both.
-------------------------------------------
While this card is in play, all cards (including cards in players' hands) cost $1 less this turn, but not less than 0. While in play, when you gain a card with a coin cost of $0, trash it.

Shady Dealer
Action - Duration
Cost: $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Select 1 Action or Treasure Supply pile, the next time you buy a card from that pile, it costs $4 less (but not less than 0), but the next time you play a card with the same name as that card, trash it, and this card.

Auction House
Action
Cost: 1+
If Auction House costs...
$1 or more, +1 Card.
$2 or more, +1 Action
$4 or more: Gain a card costing less than this.
$6 or more: and if you do, put it in your hand
$7 or more: +$2
1 Potion: Choose 1: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy.
2 or more Potions: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy.
--------------------------------------------------------------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, this card now costs that much.
Setup: If no other cards use Potion cards, do not include them in the game.
This actually might be the card I'm most interested in getting people's thoughts on.

Blighted Temple
Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
You may gain a Curse, adding it to your hand.
You may set aside any number of Curses from your hand on your Blighted Temple mat. If you do, cards cost $1 less for each card on your Blighted Temple mat, but not less than $0.
---------------------------------------------------
When this card leaves play, discard all cards from your Blighted Temple mat.

Infernal Oubliette
Action
Cost: $6*
Put this card on top of an Action Supply pile, horizontally. Only the top card of the pile can be gained or bought.
--------------------------------------------
Setup: Place an Oubliette token on this card's Supply pile.
If this card is not on a Supply pile with an Oubliette token, it instead costs <6>.
When you gain this card, if the next card in the pile is not Infernal Oubliette, gain that card.
While on top of a Supply pile, if a player plays a card under this card, they discard down to 3 cards.
Maybe too much rules text? Not sure.[/b]

Gerrymandering
Event
Cost: 3<2>
Take the Gerrymandering token.

Gerrymandering Token
In games with Gerrymandering, there is a single Gerrymandering token. When any player, except the player with the token, gains a Victory Card, the player with the Gerrymandering token gains +1 VP token for each Victory Supply pile that costs less than the gained card.

Divine Whimsy
Event
Cost: N/A
At the start of each round, roll 1d10. If the result is a 1 or 10, at the start of each turn, the turn player gains a card from a random Supply pile and puts it in play, that card returns to the Supply when it leaves play.
This is probably a very swingy card, but it's kind of supposed to be, I like stuff like this every once in awhile.

Version 1 (unedited) of this post: https://pastebin.com/raw/RZz8Eh4k
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:44:50 pm by Whimsical »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: [Text Only] Dark Fortunes (Some Debt related and other cards)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:16:46 am »
+1

Treasure
$2. When you play this, if you have <>, you can +$3. If you do, advance to your Clean-Up phase.
The main problem is this has no potential unless there are other cards. Also:
-I believe that strictly better than Silver for is frowned upon.
-The bottom part makes little sense unless I understand the rules wrong. Can't you pay off in the Clean-up phase? Or is that at the end of the buy phase. Anywho, it seems funky.

Debtor's Prison
Cost: 6
Each other player with <> discards down to 3 cards, and +$2 for each player that discarded.
At the start of your next turn, each other player gains <1> for each card they gained, while this is in play.
-I don't like the idea of the + scaling with the number of players in the game. Making it a permanent vanilla bonus would probably be better.
-Tracking issues, because each player has to remember how many cards they gained. At the end of their turn would probably be better.

Clashing Forces
Action - Reaction
The player to your left discards the top card of their Deck. Reveal the top card of your Deck, if it costs more than the revealed card, discard it and gain a Silver card putting it to your hand, otherwise trash it.
When an opponent plays an Attack, you can discard this, then play an Attack from your hand. If you do, trash that Attack.
Hmmm. I think this sounds too swingy with trashing the top card of your deck, but since it will always be cheaper than your opponent's top card it might not be that bad. I would suggest keeping the same card on their deck for the reasons Chariot race does. The reaction is interesting, maybe okay, but most likely niche.

Banker
Action
Cost: <6>
+1 Action
Set aside up to 3 Treasures costing $2 or more from your hand. Draw a card per Treasure set aside, then put those cards onto your Deck.
(Fixed the wording for you) I like it. Possibly overpriced, but hey.

Fraudulent Transaction
Action - Attack
You may trash this card. If you do, +$2 and each other player without <> takes <2>.
While this card is in play, all cards costs $1 less. When you buy a card, each other player takes <1> (to a max of <5>) if you have not bought a card with the same name this turn.
Seems okay, but I have no experience with cards handing out as attacks.

Collateral
Action - Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
Set aside a card costing between $4 and $7 from your hand (under this). If you do, +$ up to its cost in coins, but during your Clean-Up phase, take an equal amount of <>. During the end of your next turn, if you have <>, lose <> equal to the cost in coins of the card you set aside and trash that card, otherwise discard it.
This is really funky. The name makes sense, but it seems really risky. Dropping the duration part in whole might help simplify this card and make it stonger.

Clock Tower
Action - Reaction
Trash a Clock Tower from the Supply.
If you do, and there are no Clock Towers left in the Supply, return all trashed Clock Towers to the Supply, then gain an Action card, costing less than this, from the Supply, putting it in your hand, then play it twice, but return it to the Supply when it leaves play. Otherwise, if there were Clock Towers left in the Supply, return this card to your hand.
When an opponent plays an attack, you can reveal this card from your hand, trash a Clock Tower from the Supply, then put this card on the top or bottom of your Deck. This costs $1 less for each Clock Tower in its Supply pile, but not less than $0.
Try it out I guess. I really have no idea, but it could possibly lead to some infinite comboes.

Capricious Village
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Set Up: Each player tells each other player their Time Zone, or lies about their Time Zone. If a player can be shown to be lying about their Time Zone, they cannot play Capricious Village, and all Capricious Villages in their Deck are worth -1 Victory.
I think the setup is unnecessary. IRL you'd all be in the same time zone, and I hope you're not playing with anyone who would want to cheat.

Shoddy Bridge
Action
+0 Buy
+$0
All cards (including cards in players' hands) cost $1 less this turn, but not less than 0. This turn, when a card costing $0 (and nothing else) is discarded from play, trash it
So it justs nukes all your s and s at the end of your turn? Possibly too good. Also, the vanilla boni have no point.

Shady Dealer
Action - Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
Select 1 Action or Treasure Supply pile, the next time you buy a card from that pile, it costs $4 less (but not less than 0), but the next time you play a card with the same name as that card, trash it, and this card, and gain a number of Coppers equal to its cost in coins.
This doesn't work how you want it to because you don't get the discount on the card you've already bought. If you just make it cost less it seems like it could be a good card. The copper gaining seems superfluous. Trashing 2 of your good cards is enough punishment.

Auction House
Action
$1 or more, +1 Card.
$2 or more, +1 Action
$3 or more: Gain a card costing less than this.
$5 or more: and if you do, put it in your hand
$6 or more: +$2
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, this card now costs that much.
Well, here's my thoughts. The potion thing is unnecessary, I would drop it for simplicity. I might also scale the costs , , , , /. Then it seems cool. You'd need some kind of token to track how much it costs though.

Gerrymandering
Event

Gerrymandering Token
In games with Gerrymandering, there is a single Gerrymandering token. When any player, except the player with the token, gains a Victory Card, the player with the Gerrymandering token gains +1 VP token for each Victory Supply pile that costs less than the gained card.
Seems like it could stall games, but since you'll almost always get less it seems fine.

Divine Whimsy
Event
Cost: N/A
At the start of each round, roll 1d10. If the result is a 1 or 10, at the start of each turn, the turn player gains a card from a random Supply pile and puts it in play, that card returns to the Supply when it leaves play.
If you like it whatever.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Whimsical

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:06:09 pm »

Treasure
The main problem is this has no potential unless there are other cards. Also:
-I believe that strictly better than Silver for is frowned upon.
-The bottom part makes little sense unless I understand the rules wrong. Can't you pay off in the Clean-up phase? Or is that at the end of the buy phase. Anywho, it seems funky.
Capital uses the same rule to allow paying off of Debt in Clean-up (since it's normally not possible). Added a reaction effect to it and upped the cost to 5.

Debtor's Prison
Cost: 6
Each other player with <> discards down to 3 cards, and +$2 for each player that discarded.
At the start of your next turn, each other player gains <1> for each card they gained, while this is in play.
-I don't like the idea of the + scaling with the number of players in the game. Making it a permanent vanilla bonus would probably be better.
-Tracking issues, because each player has to remember how many cards they gained. At the end of their turn would probably be better.
Made it a fixed +$2, and the Debt is given on the end of the player's turn. Priced it at 4, since the first part is a more situational Militia with the duration effect to balance it out.

Clashing Forces
Action - Reaction
The player to your left discards the top card of their Deck. Reveal the top card of your Deck, if it costs more than the revealed card, discard it and gain a Silver card putting it to your hand, otherwise trash it.
Hmmm. I think this sounds too swingy with trashing the top card of your deck, but since it will always be cheaper than your opponent's top card it might not be that bad. I would suggest keeping the same card on their deck for the reasons Chariot race does. The reaction is interesting, maybe okay, but most likely niche.
Thanks. I edited it to not discard the top card.

Banker
Action
Cost: <6>
+1 Action
Set aside up to 3 Treasures costing $2 or more from your hand. Draw a card per Treasure set aside, then put those cards onto your Deck.
(Fixed the wording for you) I like it. Possibly overpriced, but hey.
Thanks for the fix, it will probably take me awhile to figure out proper card grammar, so I always appreciate help in that respect. Dropped the cost by 1.

Fraudulent Transaction
Action - Attack
You may trash this card. If you do, +$2 and each other player without <> takes <2>.
While this card is in play, all cards costs $1 less. When you buy a card, each other player takes <1> (to a max of <5>) if you have not bought a card with the same name this turn.
Seems okay, but I have no experience with cards handing out as attacks.
Thanks, I guess only time will tell. The main thing I'm worried about is that the hard limits on the Debt it can give might be too high. (Note that they exist so you can't just loop it and give everyone unlimited Debt).

Collateral
Action - Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
This is really funky. The name makes sense, but it seems really risky. Dropping the duration part in whole might help simplify this card and make it stonger.
Dropping the duration might help, but then it wouldn't really feel right for the card. Perhaps I could make it so if you had unspent $ after your buy the card is trashed?

Clock Tower
Action - Reaction
Trash a Clock Tower from the Supply.
If you do, and there are no Clock Towers left in the Supply, return all trashed Clock Towers to the Supply, then gain an Action card, costing less than this, from the Supply, putting it in your hand, then play it twice, but return it to the Supply when it leaves play. Otherwise, if there were Clock Towers left in the Supply, return this card to your hand.
Try it out I guess. I really have no idea, but it could possibly lead to some infinite comboes.
Yah, just tested it out. Lost Arts was in that game, and I immediately decided to ignore that interaction to see if the card was a problem in other ways. That game also had Settlers/Bustling Village, so I managed to loop my Deck every turn with that. Needless to say, edit were necessary. Now the card gives +1 Action, and lets you use Actions to trash Clock Towers. The effect when you trash all of them can also only be done once per turn now. I also added the ability to return the card to the Supply when you discard it (to keep the card actually usable if someone buys the last copy, or trashes it by an effect).

Capricious Village
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
I think the setup is unnecessary. IRL you'd all be in the same time zone, and I hope you're not playing with anyone who would want to cheat.

That's actually not entirely true. I don't know if it's still the case, but I do remember hearing that at the West Bank, two of it's populations actually follow two different Time Zones. I also hope that I don't play with anyone that wants to cheat, but it's there just to deal with any theoretically accountability issues.

Shoddy Bridge
Action
+0 Buy
+$0
All cards (including cards in players' hands) cost $1 less this turn, but not less than 0. This turn, when a card costing $0 (and nothing else) is discarded from play, trash it
So it justs nukes all your s and s at the end of your turn? Possibly too good. Also, the vanilla boni have no point.
The useless +0 Buy and +$0 were there as a joke, because it's supposed to be a poorly built Bridge. Changed it to something hopefully more reasonable (and that I think I like better).

Shady Dealer
Action - Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
Select 1 Action or Treasure Supply pile, the next time you buy a card from that pile, it costs $4 less (but not less than 0), but the next time you play a card with the same name as that card, trash it, and this card, and gain a number of Coppers equal to its cost in coins.
This doesn't work how you want it to because you don't get the discount on the card you've already bought. If you just make it cost less it seems like it could be a good card. The copper gaining seems superfluous. Trashing 2 of your good cards is enough punishment.
Change implemented. As for the wording, I probably didn't word it right, but it's supposed to mean you only get the discount once.

Auction House
Action
$1 or more, +1 Card.
$2 or more, +1 Action
$3 or more: Gain a card costing less than this.
$5 or more: and if you do, put it in your hand
$6 or more: +$2
Well, here's my thoughts. The potion thing is unnecessary, I would drop it for simplicity. I might also scale the costs , , , , /. Then it seems cool. You'd need some kind of token to track how much it costs though.
Wasn't certain on the ranges to use, I think I like your set better. I went with 7 for the last one, so it didn't have to compete with Provinces. Not sure how to word the tracking (though I don't think it would be that much of a problem). I do want to keep the Potion part, if only to make use of the fact that you can overpay in Potions.

Gerrymandering
Event

Gerrymandering Token
Seems like it could stall games, but since you'll almost always get less it seems fine.
Thanks, I guess it's something I'll have to keep an eye on when I have people to play test with (as opposed to just playing games with myself).

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:29:47 pm »

Clashing Forces is really not cool. Imagine playing an engine and being Militia'd in the middle of your turn. For junkers on the other hand, there's barely any difference to the card simply playing them during your turn. Curiously, this is in fact something I have recently started experimenting with. But even without the timing issues, it's still not clear whether the psychology of such a "counter" card is all that great.

Whimsical

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:45:09 pm »

Clashing Forces is really not cool. Imagine playing an engine and being Militia'd in the middle of your turn. For junkers on the other hand, there's barely any difference to the card simply playing them during your turn. Curiously, this is in fact something I have recently started experimenting with. But even without the timing issues, it's still not clear whether the psychology of such a "counter" card is all that great.

That doesn't seem that bad all things considered. Now, please tell me if I'm wrong (and I do mean that), but for that to happen you would need all of the following conditions to be met:
  • A Kingdom with Clashing Forces
  • A Kingdom with a discard attack
  • A Kingdom with an attack card that an engine would run
  • The engine player to play their attack card
  • Another play to have Clashing Forces and Militia in their hand at the same time
That seems uncommon enough that it wont be happening that often.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »

That doesn't seem that bad all things considered. Now, please tell me if I'm wrong (and I do mean that), but for that to happen you would need all of the following conditions to be met:
  • Another play to have Clashing Forces and Militia in their hand at the same time

Margrave, for example? Or any engine that doesn't mind finishing with a Militia? Btw, as you play the new attack card before the old one's attack kicks in, which attack effect gets resolved first? My Minion or yours? Your Legionary or mine? And can you just respond with Caravan Guards for free? When does my Bridge troll get discarded? Can I give you all remaining Ruins by playing a Cultist chain? How about me Swindlering the top card of your deck while you play a Scrying Pool engine?
Besides, you can't just make an anti-attack reaction and say "Whoa, this card and an attack card in the kingdom, and both are being played? Seems unlikely, right?" Sure, you added a few more requirements, but neither are attacks that would be affected by the timing all that rare, nor is it rare to play those attacks during or at the end of an engine chain.

To say something less negative, I think the Gerrymandering token might work, but you should do something else when buying the event in addition, to make sure people can't just rebuy the token infinitely. Maybe make players gain a card on each buy? I'd also consider having the token owner gain a Copper if he receives any VP.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:59:25 pm by Asper »

Whimsical

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »

Margrave, for example? Or any engine that doesn't mind finishing with a Militia? Btw, as you play the new attack card before the old one's attack kicks in, which attack effect gets resolved first? My Minion or yours? Your Legionary or mine? And can you just respond with Caravan Guards for free? When does my Bridge troll get discarded? Can I give you all remaining Ruins by playing a Cultist chain? How about me Swindlering the top card of your deck while you play a Scrying Pool engine?
Besides, you can't just make an anti-attack reaction and say "Whoa, this card and an attack card in the kingdom, and both are being played? Seems unlikely, right?" Sure, you added a few more requirements, but neither are attacks that would be affected by the timing all that rare, nor is it rare to play those attacks during or at the end of an engine chain.

To say something less negative, I think the Gerrymandering token might work, but you should do something else when buying the event in addition, to make sure people can't just rebuy the token infinitely. Maybe make players gain a card on each buy? I'd also consider having the token owner gain a Copper if he receives any VP.

I'm rather sure your attack would go off first, though with those examples I can see balance issues (and why tackling this specific idea wasn't good). What about "When another player plays an attack card, you can discard this card, gain an Attack Card costing the same or less, adding it to your hand"?

In regards to Gerrymandering, I'll have to think on that one for a bit (and be more awake).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »

I'm rather sure your attack would go off first, though with those examples I can see balance issues (and why tackling this specific idea wasn't good). What about "When another player plays an attack card, you can discard this card, gain an Attack Card costing the same or less, adding it to your hand"?

In regards to Gerrymandering, I'll have to think on that one for a bit (and be more awake).

Sure, gaining attack cards as a Reaction seems like an alternative that conserves the original idea's spirit while avoiding its timing issues. Might still be a bit of a challenge to balance because of the cost range of attack cards, but then again Squire didn't mind that either.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.