Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Using Stash  (Read 2186 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Using Stash
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »
+2

I just played this game. I open with a bit of an advantage on 5/2, and some pretty good early draws. My opponent makes the very reasonable-seeming transition into scheme-saboteur. Sure, sab might not be that great, but playing one every turn is much more appealing. So I counter this buy... using stash! And not just everything-on-top. I line it up so I have 5-card hand, stash, 5-card hand, stash, etc. etc. So every turn, he turns a stash into a silver. And my lead is totally preserved.
Just felt like posting this because people are always looking for ways of using stash creatively, and not just all-my-stashes-lined-up-atop-my-deck.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Using Stash
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »

That's neat. It's kind of interesting that Stash's only great combo was actually available here: Chancellor/Stash. That combo might not have stood up very well to persistent sabotage, though.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:33:23 pm »

That's neat. It's kind of interesting that Stash's only great combo was actually available here: Chancellor/Stash. That combo might not have stood up very well to persistent sabotage, though.
We said something about this a little after my opponent bought the chancellor. The sabotaging isn't so much the issue for chancellor/stash. It's the margrave.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »

That is a fantasically well thought out defence to sab WW, and a very creative use of Stash

I've spent some time trying to use stash to reduce deck variance, by spacing them so that you have one stash per hand. But stash is too expensive for that really to work given how subtle the effect is. Reducing deck variance is only really useful when you want to consistently hit a small target so maybe a silk road/gardens/duke game.

Has anyone tried wishing well/stash? It could feasibly be a way to turn your wishing well into silver drawing labs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:12:12 pm by Loschmidt »

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:36:50 pm »

Lab+Silver>Stash+Wishing Well :P
It's hard to predict where you will want the Stash to be in several turns in all but the most academic cases, so I don't really see it happening, and the payoff is not that great.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:56:26 pm »

Lab+Silver>Stash+Wishing Well :P

Oh totally. Not going to fight labs head on, but it might be a poor man's susbtitute when they're not available.

After playing around for a while in single player on Isotropic i'm more convinced this strategy is a possibility. Only buying stashs and WWs i managed to get 3 provinces on average by turn 14. So thats competitive.

One of the advantages of Wishing Well that people forget is that in the early game it is a Lab a lot more reliably. So its not a tragic opening move.

I feel with scheme's and maybe a +Buy it could be a plausible strategy :)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »

So, today a guy decided to go full WV-Sab on me in a highly not-cute manor.  But then I remembered this thread and saw that Stash was on the board, so I gave it a try.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/14/game-20120314-121547-3f341563.html

In this case, I used it to keep up my momentum and build a pretty-lame-but-good-enough Goons deck.

Anyway, I'm sold on Stash as a pseudo-counter to Sab. It's not perfect, but it's really fun to play and definitely takes the edge off of devastating Saboteur decks.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.