Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy: Then, Now, and the Future  (Read 32797 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy: Then, Now, and the Future
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2017, 07:43:41 am »
+2

Just writing to clarify that my objections to Adam were purely in an administrative role - I don't think he should have power over others on the blog front. I think his writing on Dominion is good and that it could potentially work out well for all parties if he contributed articles to the DS blog. If that's a capacity he's willing to contribute in, then that's cool with me.

I do hope that we can use the Articles subforum again for community collaboration and feedback before publishing, and I don't know how that works with the forum embargo, but other than that it would be cool.

More from me soon, I've got a busy day at work.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2017, 09:14:06 am »
+3

The people in charge of the blog don't need to be the only people involved with curating and improving article content.  This conversation seems rather close to that of the academic research publication process.  Articles get sent to a journal who has an editor to decide whether an article might be worthy who then sends the article to multiple experts in the field for critical review.  These reviewers provide feedback and a decision on whether or not they think the article is ready for publication.

In the context of the forum this could be done in the article subforum.  What this would take is either the article's original author or someone else who is willing to rewrite the article on the basis of community feedback.  This revised article could then be presented as a more polished work for front page blog content.  Then people interested in the topic don't need to read multiple pages of forum posts but could get the information in one streamlined article.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2017, 10:38:16 am »
+4

All right, the consensus from what I've seen is that I will not be given any special powers with the blog, but people really want me to write stuff for the blog. There seems to be this conception that I want to take my personal blog and just funnel it into the DS blog to promote my own stuff and hey I've made the DS blog great again!

This is not what I want, I don't know where this is coming from. In fact, the role I want to play in the DS blog is primarily not that of a content creator, because I don't think that's where I'll add value.

My unique ideas are only going to work in the capacity of a moderator. Maybe I don't need to have the ability to publish things to the blog if people are worried that I'll abuse it.

I can't write articles on a schedule. I can't come up with new topics and just write about them. If I could do that I would be a professional journalist and I wouldn't have time for my day job. In fact, I don't see anyone volunteering to write full time for the DS blog, so I don't think this is a reasonable expectation of anyone.

Given that, I don't think enforcing a schedule on a person or a group of people to have X articles written per week is going to be sustainable. I know for a fact that if this is how things are run, the community will run out of content in a few months. It's not sustainable.

But the blog needs to have content released on a regular schedule in order to be successful. How do you reconcile this? It's very similar to a certain practice of software engineering that I deal with at work: you use "actuals" to dictate your schedule. I haven't seen anyone anywhere talking about it yet.

Start by creating a backlog of articles that are ready to be published and a really easy pace -- one article per week, for example (all of the numbers here are just examples, they can be adjusted easily). Once you have enough content for three months, you start publishing. If you ever don't have enough content for one more month in reserve, slow down the pace. If you ever have enough content for 4 months (and have maintained that amount/pace for X time), speed up the pace. Let the creation of articles dictate the pace of the blog and start with expectations very low. If it ever becomes unsustainable, you'll get plenty of advance notice because you've capped the rate at which the backlog gets smaller, so there's this built-in time to solicit new articles and have them created at a relaxed pace so that they're actually good, as opposed to "oh crap I need to write another article by tomorrow" so I throw something together that really isn't good.

This model is something sustainable. However it's something I can't implement as just a content creator, I would need to be in a position where I can control the flow of when things get published. Well I guess now that I've shared this idea anyone can do it but honestly, was this going to happen before I shared it here? Stuff like this is why I need to be involved at the level I'm asking for, and I have a lot more...

F.DS has had a lot of trouble recently with new content creation. I've got a lot of ideas for how to improve the way articles are written so that we get more of them. How to get people from outside this community creating content and continuing to create content. Different types of content that will bring in a more diverse audience, beyond just "beginner articles and advanced articles". I'm not going to type it all now, but when whoever is going to run the blog is planning out how it will work, someone with my ideas and experience in knowing what's actually going to work is going to make that planning a lot more productive.

The point is, I'm not going to make the DS blog better by writing articles, I'm best used in the kind of capacity where I can put systems in place what will set up the blog for long-term success.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2017, 11:05:26 am »
+1

Start by creating a backlog of articles that are ready to be published and a really easy pace -- one article per week, for example (all of the numbers here are just examples, they can be adjusted easily). Once you have enough content for three months, you start publishing. If you ever don't have enough content for one more month in reserve, slow down the pace. If you ever have enough content for 4 months (and have maintained that amount/pace for X time), speed up the pace. Let the creation of articles dictate the pace of the blog and start with expectations very low. If it ever becomes unsustainable, you'll get plenty of advance notice because you've capped the rate at which the backlog gets smaller, so there's this built-in time to solicit new articles and have them created at a relaxed pace so that they're actually good, as opposed to "oh crap I need to write another article by tomorrow" so I throw something together that really isn't good.

This model is something sustainable. However it's something I can't implement as just a content creator, I would need to be in a position where I can control the flow of when things get published. Well I guess now that I've shared this idea anyone can do it but honestly, was this going to happen before I shared it here? Stuff like this is why I need to be involved at the level I'm asking for, and I have a lot more...

Actually, I was just writing up a post that makes this exact point because I was concerned no one was emphasizing the need to pace out new material. It's not some secret sauce no one but the in-club knows. Administering the blog and curating content should be straightforward. Something is better than nothing. We just need someone with time to do it. Heck, I was going to suggest to theory to just add me or someone else as an admin to the blog just to push announcements and existing content to the front page until this thread showed there is already wide-ranging interest in a revival.

There are 16 weeks between now and the end of the year. Between now and the end of the year the blog could advertise the current Online Championship, post Nocturne previews, an announcement of Nocturne release, post Donald X's secret history of the Nocturne cards, and post links streams of the Championship match. That leaves only 10-12 spots for articles. There are already some good ones on the forum that could be curated into posts and requests can be put out for additional articles. That seems completely reasonable for really anyone with time and a minimal amount of skill to do.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2017, 11:07:26 am »
+1

That basic concept has been discussed before, and I think most people want to do that sort of thing with scheduling rather than a just in time publishing schedule. There's still no reason you are unable to contribute if someone else runs that style of publishing, and there's no reason you have to be the person to do it. I just really fail to see why you have to have that power in order for this to work? Why do you have to be the person controlling the flow of publishing for that to work?

If it's "I'm in charge or nothing", well, that's not a great team player look from day 1, and I think that's what people are specifically afraid of.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2017, 11:07:51 am »
+3

In short, I agree with Adam in the sense that the blog needs an admin, not a head writer. I am happy he and others are making the case to be that admin.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2017, 11:21:22 am »
+5

Just wanted to note that this is all really helpful discussion.  It seems that I was off as to what we needed, and the prevailing view does seem to be that we need an administrator before a writer. 

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2017, 12:00:11 pm »

That basic concept has been discussed before, and I think most people want to do that sort of thing with scheduling rather than a just in time publishing schedule.

Do you have a source for this? I've seen nothing anywhere that's close to the model I've suggested.

If it's "I'm in charge or nothing", well, that's not a great team player look from day 1, and I think that's what people are specifically afraid of.

This is not close to anything I've said in this thread. In fact, on several occasions I've explicitly stated the opposite.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2017, 12:57:49 pm »
+6

Adam, I would suggest that you support whoever is going to do the job and you can pitch all your ideas. I don't think that anyone reasonable would decline them just because they were yours. If you don't have any formal power and they don't listen to / like enough your suggestions, well you will stop contributing, but it was worth a try. On the other hand, if it works well, after some time people will feel less reluctant to share power with you.
You won't have any shiny title at first, but who cares about that...

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2017, 01:06:03 pm »
+2

A regular update schedule is probably a good idea, but I would be prepared for the possibilities that: a) the idea eventually collapses for some reason, b) other people leading the blog don't like the idea, or want to implement it differently,  or c) the idea is a success.  But I mean, this is all stuff that bloggers can figure out as they put it into practice.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »

I mean if none of this works in the long term I'll just continue on with my forum, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Revitalizing the blog covers everything I wanted to do already, which is put focus on the competitive scene/tournaments/articles.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2017, 01:17:35 pm »
+2

I guess how this should work is that theory should just pick someone to lead the blog.  And then the leader picks some initial team, and figures it out from there.  So if this argument gets heated, I think theory should just make a final decision and that should be the end of it.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »
+1

For those who are worried about Adam, what's the danger with initially letting him be part of the administrating team and then seeing what happens? Presumably if all your fears come true, but wero, BA, etc. is really in charge, they would just remove him. Then we're dealing with what actually happens, rather than a bunch of what-ifs.

Or am I missing something here?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2017, 04:56:26 pm »

Adam, I would suggest that you support whoever is going to do the job and you can pitch all your ideas. I don't think that anyone reasonable would decline them just because they were yours. If you don't have any formal power and they don't listen to / like enough your suggestions, well you will stop contributing, but it was worth a try. On the other hand, if it works well, after some time people will feel less reluctant to share power with you.
You won't have any shiny title at first, but who cares about that...

This is really close to what I actually want. The main thing I care about is actually having a shot to implement my ideas properly.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2017, 05:06:48 pm »
+3

The main thing I care about is actually having a shot to implement my ideas properly.

I guess I feel like your "unique ideas" are my "common sense". I think there are a lot of people that could figure out how to get a good, steady stream of content onto the front page of the blog. I'm not convinced that you are special in this regard.

On another topic, I would be happy to contribute some money to keep the site up and running if the eventual owners cannot afford to. I mean I give BGG enough money every December to keep my ad blocker current. I could just give that money to f.DS instead and live with the ads on BGG.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »
+2

The main thing I care about is actually having a shot to implement my ideas properly.
I guess I feel like your "unique ideas" are my "common sense".
There are - I'm guessing - a lot of computer scientists around here. Even if it weren't common sense, it's a pretty elementary aspect of flow control and buffer management.

I don't know Adam from Adam, as it were, but I'm getting the vibe that he's got way too much of an ego to be a good moderator. "Implement my ideas properly" smells like "everyone else is stupid and I want the glory".

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
+1

Can someone clue me in on why everybody seems to expect AdamH to go full Cromwell? Did something specific happen that animated this belief?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2017, 09:31:24 pm »
+3

Can someone clue me in on why everybody seems to expect AdamH to go full Cromwell? Did something specific happen that animated this belief?

~2 years ago, Adam very publicly announced he was leaving f.ds because of disagreements with... I think Stef?  Maybe others.  No, that was why he left the league.  That's right.  He left f.ds because he felt it wasn't moderated heavily enough.  He thought threads went off-topic too often, and wanted stricter moderation to enforce staying on-topic.

No one else on f.ds agreed with him.  He left.

As for "go full Cromwell", f.ds-ers tend to like that there isn't an iron cadre of moderators swooping down to keep us on-topic.  theory moves threads that are in the wrong place and bans people who get too offensive, but that's about it.  It's rather libertarian in here.  I hope that answers your question?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2017, 09:56:44 pm »
+2

If people are worried about Adam being a dictator, why can't there just be a committee of people administering the blog, and Adam could be a part of the committee? This seems fair to me- Adam can do his good ideas, and no one has absolute or even higher power than the others.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2017, 10:31:07 pm »
+1

If people are worried about Adam being a dictator, why can't there just be a committee of people administering the blog, and Adam could be a part of the committee? This seems fair to me- Adam can do his good ideas, and no one has absolute or even higher power than the others.

Well, there is a potential too-many-cooks issue. Also, people can suggest ideas for the blog without being co-owner of it.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2017, 01:32:10 am »
+4

If there are like three people that were wanting to co-lead the new blog, I don't see why Adam couldn't be one of the three. Then if the other two disagree with something he did, like if he vetoes or edits other peoples' contributions too harshly or something, the other two would have controlling interest to deal with it appropriately.  Not that all his ideas are completely unique, but it is harder to find someone with the time, enthusiasm, ability, and (if needed) disposable income available to invest into the blog the way it needs in order to be revived and sustainable.  I think I would be ok with him having some measure of control of the blog, but only with a checks and balance type of thing there in order to help assuage the fears or concerns of the people who were around 2 years ago.

*wrote this and realized it's just a longer form of teamlyle's post, but I don't feel like wasting my time completely by deleting it*
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:12 am »
+1

I think barring someone else wanting to go, it's up to Theory on what happens next.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2017, 03:15:46 am »
+10

You know, when I started this thread, all I wanted was for it not to cause drama. And when the drama did start, I tried really really hard to stay out of it, but bleh, I can't.

My two cents:

I think if you have to discuss checks and balances for the governing system behind a Dominion blog, something very weird has happened. Like, wow what is even going on.

Re this quote:

I think "dictator" is far too strong of a word choice. Roughly, what LF + wero seem to be worried about is that if Adam was in charge, he would be too obstinate to consider other viewpoints on how the blog should be run. And if he weren't in charge, but was on a committee of people in charge, he would get snarky and annoying to interact with if people decided not to implement some of his ideas. (@LF + wero, let me know if this seems fair.)

Fundamentally, when Adam left the forums a while ago, there were a lot of burnt bridges, and people closest to the argument lost a lot of respect for him. Adam's argument has mostly been about his credentials and past experience with Dominion. He has made sure to emphasize that he's run several in-person tournaments, has written several good articles, has connections to other Dominion communities, etc., and in his view this should be a good enough argument for anyone. (@Adam, let me know if this seems fair.)

The thing is that the disagreement is not about qualifications. It's about who people trust to be a good leader. It's only natural that the people who lost respect for Adam don't trust him to be a good leader. It certainly doesn't help that Adam's arguments have done little to assuage the fears of people who don't trust him. And it doesn't matter that other people do trust Adam - that's not particularly convincing to the people who don't.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:17:50 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2017, 03:34:06 am »
+1

Yea with all respect to Theory I'm not sure derailing your post with drama about the potential logistics of the blog was a turn for the better.. at the very least perhaps it should have been/should be split off to another thread?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2017, 03:59:57 am »
+2

Yea with all respect to Theory I'm not sure derailing your post with drama about the potential logistics of the blog was a turn for the better.. at the very least perhaps it should have been/should be split off to another thread?

No it was fine. A lot was learned and it was a good thing overall. Because of this the blog will be active with good content.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.