Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy: Then, Now, and the Future  (Read 32806 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Dominion Strategy: Then, Now, and the Future
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 12:38:24 pm »
+3

Did anyone actually ask wero if he wanted to do it? I mean, it's not a stretch, but he should get some say lol.

I like wero's idea of co running it with beyond awesome. And heck, if it's just the blog anyway, why not also let Adam contribute? They are strategy articles and he's pretty good at those.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2017, 12:47:38 pm »
+15

AdamH has also expressed interest.

If others are interested in taking on an administrative role please let me know.  I'll reach out to a few people.

I want to be clear. I have no interest in administrating or moderating these forums in any (edit: non-technical) capacity. My interest is working with the blog. If asked to play a moderator's or admin's role with the forums beyond technical issues, I would decline. I also have no interest in being the only person working on the blog -- if it was given to me alone, the first thing I would do would be to find people to help.

I have offered to help with the blog and also with the work for maintaining the domain, etc. including covering the costs associated with that.

What I want is a more appropriate platform than my personal blog and reddit for publishing Dominion content where people can see it, since neither of those platforms are very good. The dominionstrategy blog is probably the best thing out there, provided it would be properly maintained. I'd also like for more people besides myself to be writing articles appropriate for the blog.

Regardless of what people choose to think about me on a personal level, I would be an asset to any team of people who wanted to run the blog in theory's absence. I have a lot of connections in the Dominion and local boardgaming communities that are pretty unique and my skill set is well positioned to add value.

The fact that I'm still willing to do this in spite of the objections of some members of the community is not a power grab, but rather a testament to the fact that I have continued to be involved in other areas of the Dominion community where I can be more productive instead of just giving up entirely. I believe I can be productive in working on the DS blog, so that's why I want in.

Edited bolded statement for clarity
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:23:28 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »
+4

I'm all for having Adam write articles on the blog if he wants to. He's probably better than anyone else at presenting useful advice in a newbie-friendly way.

I like wero's idea of co running it with beyond awesome. And heck, if it's just the blog anyway, why not also let Adam contribute? They are strategy articles and he's pretty good at those.

I pretty much agree with jsh.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 01:13:30 pm »
+3

I have no objections to Adam running the blog. The only thing I would be worried about is potential drama.

Other people who could I could see running it are Wero, Tracer, and jsh. I could help volunteer as well, if someone else wants a second person. I think the best solution here is probably some sort of coalition, where articles are heavily scrutinized while posted here/on my forum/Reddit/wherever before being put on the Blog for maximum information.

The thing is, the blog is very useful. You're an irl person, you're looking for a way to beat your friend, so you look up "Dominion board game strategy" and boom, Dominion Strategy has all the keywords already. It's always going to get hits. The best thing to do is to have it obviously link to f.ds and the wiki (as if it's not doing that already) and to have updated good articles. Take down all the silly combos like Pirate Ship/Ambassador which has become a running joke, etc. There could be a page for beginner Dominion players for Base set strategies, 1st and 2nd edition. Promote Dominion Online and increase the amount of users from irl. I know people who play Dominion irl and didn't even know there's an Online Version. There's all sorts of stuff that could be done with the blog and I am excited to help with that, or have anybody doing anything with it really. Anything is better than it sitting there doing nothing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2017, 01:20:38 pm »

Promote Dominion Online and increase the amount of users from irl.

I would try to negotiate with Stef for some kind of a deal in that regard, to help cover the costs of running the site.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2017, 01:22:11 pm »
+2

I have no objections to Adam running the blog. The only thing I would be worried about is potential drama.

Other people who could I could see running it are Wero, Tracer, and jsh. I could help volunteer as well, if someone else wants a second person. I think the best solution here is probably some sort of coalition, where articles are heavily scrutinized while posted here/on my forum/Reddit/wherever before being put on the Blog for maximum information.

The thing is, the blog is very useful. You're an irl person, you're looking for a way to beat your friend, so you look up "Dominion board game strategy" and boom, Dominion Strategy has all the keywords already. It's always going to get hits. The best thing to do is to have it obviously link to f.ds and the wiki (as if it's not doing that already) and to have updated good articles. Take down all the silly combos like Pirate Ship/Ambassador which has become a running joke, etc. There could be a page for beginner Dominion players for Base set strategies, 1st and 2nd edition. Promote Dominion Online and increase the amount of users from irl. I know people who play Dominion irl and didn't even know there's an Online Version. There's all sorts of stuff that could be done with the blog and I am excited to help with that, or have anybody doing anything with it really. Anything is better than it sitting there doing nothing.

The blog could be organized better, I think. Maybe some hot links to types of articles, especially key ones like WW's deck types.

I would also make the community links more up to date and more front and center. A lot of users are not even aware there are places to discuss Dominion like the forums, reddit, and Discord. Dominion Online ALSO needs to be linked to on the front page!

Old, outdated articles or frankly wrong ones (like Amb/PS) could just be put in an 'obsolete articles' section. There's no need to unpublish them; just make it clear that taking them as gospel is not recommended.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:25:56 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2017, 01:23:57 pm »
+4

maintaining the domain, etc. including covering the costs associated with that.

This is a big deal for the blog and for the forum. theory does an amazing job and it's important that if he goes completely MIA, someone can handle tech upkeep. Remember the weird attacks that kept taking down the forum a while back? 

What I want is a more appropriate platform than my personal blog and reddit for publishing Dominion content where people can see it, since neither of those platforms are very good. The dominionstrategy blog is probably the best thing out there, provided it would be properly maintained.

Agreed.

The thing is, the blog is very useful. You're an irl person, you're looking for a way to beat your friend, so you look up "Dominion board game strategy" and boom, Dominion Strategy has all the keywords already.... Anything is better than it sitting there doing nothing.

Agreed. It's still in my blog feed on the hope of a brighter future.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2017, 01:25:53 pm »
+3

Yeah, the first google hit is the blog post for "New to Dominion".  A lot of that stuff is outdated (e.g. Goko and Council Room) and a fresh perspective on updated resources could be a good first start for reviving the blog.  I totally remember getting hooked on Dominion right as theory was publishing the blog and it became a daily habit of checking for new posts as I was learning the game.

Sigh... and now I'm nostalgic.  I guess I should play more Dominion.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:20 pm »

Yeah, the first google hit is the blog post for "New to Dominion".  A lot of that stuff is outdated (e.g. Goko and Council Room) and a fresh perspective on updated resources could be a good first start for reviving the blog.  I totally remember getting hooked on Dominion right as theory was publishing the blog and it became a daily habit of checking for new posts as I was learning the game.

Sigh... and now I'm nostalgic.  I guess I should play more Dominion.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for reminding me to add you to my friends list on DO.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:47 pm »
+1

To be clear - the forum need not go with the blog.  The blog is a Wordpress-hosted site where various people can become "authors" and contribute content on their own.  The forum is its own universe and honestly I'm OK handling that for now.  I like power.

He knows how to run a blog, works in software, and has even done some community outreach for dominion in his area. I'm not saying those qualify him for sure, but they are considerations.

For the record, if I didn't run discord already, I'd enter the race.

Btw, big respect for theory on being willing to make this change. It's really hard to give up your digital baby, especially when it's been so successful.

Those are good qualifications, and it's good to know that the blog and forum are not as deeply intertwined as I thought. I think Adam would do a fine job running the blog. I still vote for wero (and Beyond Awesome if they want to jointly do it) because he's contributed so much to the community, and I see him as more of a team player.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:41:20 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 01:41:14 pm »
+3

Did anyone actually ask wero if he wanted to do it? I mean, it's not a stretch, but he should get some say lol.

I did not ask him before nominating him, because I'm a jerk. He has since made this post, though, and hopefully he would have mentioned "no I don't want to do this" if that were the case.

And heck, if it's just the blog anyway, why not also let Adam contribute? They are strategy articles and he's pretty good at those.

Yes, definitely!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
+1

I really like the idea of BA/Adam doing Dominion podcasts.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2017, 02:23:40 pm »
+2

For the benefit of people who aren't aware of every user's history, what are Wero and Beyond Awesome's qualifications?  I understand Wero does stuff with the wiki but I don't know exactly what.

I joined f.ds after AdamH left, so I'm only familiar with him through videos and his blog.  I'm guessing that regardless of who is in charge, AdamH would contribute excellent articles.  But I also think he would be a good blog director.  I think it's good that he has a broader perspective of dominion communities beyond f.ds.  I think it's really important that the direction of the blog is to be more than just a voice for f.ds.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2017, 02:34:02 pm »

I for one am confused about the purpose of the blog; now that both the forums and the wiki exist.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »
+9

I for one am confused about the purpose of the blog; now that both the forums and the wiki exist.
In my experience a front page is great for forums; it draws in new people, it increases posting.

Some people would like to read articles and news items but do not want to venture into forums. I mean every day I read the new comic at SMBC. They have forums! I never go there. You know? Lots of sites have forums, but forums are a bigger investment, I only have so much time for forums.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2017, 02:52:14 pm »
+2

Having a centralized place for dominion content and articles would be awesome.

First, I think the old content should be labeled as such, perhaps "pre-adventures articles" or "pre-dark ages articles."

Second, I think Wero and/or Beyond Awesome would do a good job running the blog - Wero has done a great job with the wiki and Beyond Awesome has a lot of enthusiasm for the game.

Third, I think there should be some sort of process for the community to submit content - perhaps a thread describing expectations for content and how to submit.

trivialknot

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2017, 02:54:06 pm »
+2

Every format has different strengths.  Blogs are update-oriented, which allows them to cover a complex and ever-changing topic where nobody really knows the right answers.  But it's also more formal and focused than a forum, and can maintain a structured archive.

If nothing else, there are some people who exclusively prefer certain formats.  Some people will only watch videos, some people will only participate in forums, some people only like chat rooms, and some people will only read blogs.  If there is enough space in the dominion world to support 2-4 forums (depending on how you count them), there is certainly enough space to support one blog, if not more.

I have 10 years blogging experience on my belt, so I'm kind of a blogging partisan.  I hate forums, although sometimes I join one anyway because I like dominion so much.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2017, 03:00:42 pm »
+12

I understand Wero does stuff with the wiki but I don't know exactly what.

He runs the wiki all on his own.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »
+1

Third, I think there should be some sort of process for the community to submit content - perhaps a thread describing expectations for content and how to submit.

The Articles subforum used to serve this purpose. Good articles that got lots of upvotes or comments appeared as a "guest post" on the blog as-is or in some edited form. One or two blog posts even came out of Simulations and other subforums. So, I think it would be good for whoever is in charge of the blog to be aware of what is being written long-form on the forum, as well, in order to curate good content.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2017, 03:46:21 pm »
+1

The Articles subforum used to serve this purpose. Good articles that got lots of upvotes or comments appeared as a "guest post" on the blog as-is or in some edited form. One or two blog posts even came out of Simulations and other subforums. So, I think it would be good for whoever is in charge of the blog to be aware of what is being written long-form on the forum, as well, in order to curate good content.

Yes, it would be nice to have a centralized location for quality content. A place with quality reading a few times a week. Ideally run by ... not me :)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2017, 04:40:23 pm »
+6

... why does Adam have to be in charge of the blog for his articles to be on there? Any person could run the blog and post submissions from him. The person running the blog shouldn't necessarily be the Best Article Writer, but someone who competently and diligently works with articles, from multiple people, on a regular basis, actively committed to the whole site without creating more friction than necessary.

That's what I was trying to say before Adam even came up. The blog administrator can accept content from more than just themselves. And quite frankly we should prioritize activity and management skills in the blog administrator over sheer writing abilityz

I don't want to get into a mudslinging fight about the haracter of anyone involved, so I'm just gonna say Wero is clearly very qualified to do this, is somebody that gets along with eeeyone, and has direct experience with his work on the wiki. I hope people like Adam contribute to the blog (I have always liked his accessible articles and whatnot,that's no secret) but it's so hard to see how Wero isn't perfect for this.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

trivialknot

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »

Is this actually an either/or choice?  Could the blog be coadministered by Wero, Beyond Awesome, and Adam?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:17:34 pm by trivialknot »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2017, 06:07:40 pm »
+5

... why does Adam have to be in charge of the blog for his articles to be on there? Any person could run the blog and post submissions from him. The person running the blog shouldn't necessarily be the Best Article Writer, but someone who competently and diligently works with articles, from multiple people, on a regular basis, actively committed to the whole site without creating more friction than necessary.

Great question. I agree, ability to write articles is helpful but not the most important thing for someone to be helping ruin the DS blog. Writing articles is one of the ways I could contribute, but TBH I think I'd be much more helpful in other ways.

The blog needs to be run by multiple people. This is because in order for it to succeed, it needs to have a regular schedule for when it releases new content, and that's too much to ask of just one person. So if there's going to be a team of people, I think I would be one of the best choices for someone to add to that team. I'm not interested in doing it all by myself.

I know more about the audience of the blog than anyone else that's been mentioned for this. I've spent a lot of time as someone still very involved in Dominion, but not necessarily a part of the "F.DS community" which I think is one of the biggest reasons in support of adding me to the group of people who run the DS blog. The best teams have as many different perspectives as possible and you're not going to get my perspective from anywhere else; the italicized part of what I quoted there fits me perfectly and to be frank, I think my position as someone both inside and outside of the community would be much more useful than someone who fits the description of the part after the italics.

I don't think there's anyone who's taught Dominion to more people than I have. I've taken people from learning to play the game to being competitive in tournament play multiple times, I've heard the questions they ask, I've seen what confuses them, and I've seen what makes the light bulbs turn on for them. I know the kinds of articles they want to read, I know the terminologies that make sense to them and the ones that don't. I had game designers approach me at Gencon, asking me to make "how to play" videos for their games (these are trendy right now) because they saw what I made for Power Grid and Dominion and it was the best thing they've ever seen.

I was more involved in the official (RGG-sanctioned) competitive scene than anyone on here (maybe even DXV) even before the championship this year and I think I've put on more IRL Dominion tournaments than anyone else in the world. The feedback from them has been unilaterally and overwhelmingly positive. I know how to take competitive Dominion and grow it and it may surprise some people to hear this, but the reason people come back is because of how I treat the players and how well the tournament is run.

As for the "drama" and the "team player" concerns that people have been saying. Well I'm not going to directly address them other than that I want to say that the narrative that I'm this jerk who wants to rule with an iron fist or just have a platform to complain from is simply not true. It's been a long time since all of that and I've had multiple opportunities to just not come back, but instead I've been creating content. I don't have the time to waste on trolling people who are tired of me; the fact that I'm here and willing to put in my own time and money into the DS blog after a couple of years away from the community isn't consistent with the whole "Adam is a jerk" thing that seems to be going around. In fact I haven't seen any reasons at all against me being part of this that don't boil down to "Adam is a jerk."

If whoever else is going to do this thinks I'm being a jerk, they can just kick me out. Whatever you're afraid of me doing to make your lives miserable, just don't give me the power to do it and we're all happy. I just don't see any of that as a reason to not let me be part of making and publishing content for the DS blog when it's pretty clear I have a lot more to offer that group than pretty much anyone else.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2017, 06:24:00 pm »
+6

As someone who was here when the blog was active but not here when all the drama happened (apparently):

Just don't let Adam have veto-power over an article? It appears that Adam creates a large volume of high quality content but is too demanding in the communities view of other people's content. Either give veto-power to a non-Adam entity or require some majority of 3+ people to veto an article (the latter being the better compromise but being probably entirely unrealistic in terms of commitment of multiple people.

It's true to an extent that a site admin doesn't need to write content or even be good at it, but the problem we currently have with our blog is caused by having an excellent admin but infrequent dominion writer lose interest in it... so....

Not to rain on everyone's parades either: in my opinion there's this historical revisionism going around that all the old content is just outdated, and that the dominion meta has evolved. The dominion meta has evolved, but  1) we really didn't spend the early days just talking about big money optimal efficiency and comparisons and 2) Plenty of the blog articles weren't exactly high quality strategy to begin with. The most important requirements for a blog article are readability, cohesion and presentation. Strategic validity was somewhat secondary.

I also think that what happened to F.DS is not in any way related to the way Dominion itself changed. I think there is a natural, somewhat detrimental path that forums take as they expand and as they persist through time, where older members have seen so many topics rehashed that they don't want to contribute the same discussion to them, yet they are still the most prolific posters. So the number of off-topic, less than directly helpful posts increases over time.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:10 pm »
+1

I have no problem with any of these people running the blog. Uh people(like people who are really good at dominion) should review and make sure the content is accurate and also useful to their target audience before it is posted on the blog.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.