Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"  (Read 17727 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 05:57:52 pm »
+7

glhf is fine, why do people complain about glhf? They can't all be the best salutation ever.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »
+2

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input on this topic. I think most replies were made in line with the spirit of the original post.

If any consensus can be drawn, it's that "glhf" is the most universally-accepted idiom we have for a pre-match handshake representing good sportsmanship. Moreover, if the "good luck" part of it should be interpreted at all literally, it means "I hope luck doesn't play a role in this game."

P.S. Maybe it's time to start using emojis?
🤝

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 06:21:14 pm »
+16

If etiquette 🍴 and my girl 👧 😍 both drowning 😱 👋 and I can only save one 😤 😬 Catch me at my girl funeral 😔 👻 🌹 saying glhf 😏 💯 😎 🤝
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
+2

I'm posting this just to lower the respect/post ratio of this thread.

I upvoted your post to make it bigger again.
Oh no! Too bad I would be completely thwarted if I somehow got 19 respect from that post. In that scenario, I would be the loser...
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2017, 08:50:26 pm »
+5

This thread has one of the highest respect/post ratios on f.ds.
So I should post here to get more respect. Right?

Good luck.
I'm offended

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 11:10:30 am »

Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

It is not. This is the first I've heard someone suggest it is. If I am in a typing mood, I'll say gg win or lose, first or second.

I (almost) always immediately type gg after the match, win or lose, without thinking. Maybe not if my opponent was a bit of a jerk, but that virtually never happens.

I feel most conflicted when it's a blowout. If I'm the loser, I'll say something like "gg. I played that stupid". If I'm the winner, then while I will still quickly type the gg, I'm aware I could be misinterpreted as mocking my opponent. I mean, it's not a good game if they pick a bad strategy that fails hard, but what else do I say?

On very rare occasion, I'll drop a 'bg' (for bad game) in a half-joking manner. The only 2 reasons I can think of for why I've done this are 1) it was an incredibly boring, sluggish game or 2) My opponent was a victim of some extremely awful luck. I'd never say bg if I'm the one with bad luck, that's just whiny and pathetic.

I think gg after the game is fine coming first from the winner or loser. The one thing I do find obnoxious, though, is if the person who is about to win takes time before the game is over to say gg, either at the beginning of their turn or during the buy phase. I think that's reasonably interpreted as mocking.

I have only seen bg a few times recently and at first glance found it kinda rude whether or not the person meant it that way. If they won it seems like it might imply "you played a bad game" and if they lost it's like it was only because of luck.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
+1

Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

It is not. This is the first I've heard someone suggest it is. If I am in a typing mood, I'll say gg win or lose, first or second.

I (almost) always immediately type gg after the match, win or lose, without thinking. Maybe not if my opponent was a bit of a jerk, but that virtually never happens.

I feel most conflicted when it's a blowout. If I'm the loser, I'll say something like "gg. I played that stupid". If I'm the winner, then while I will still quickly type the gg, I'm aware I could be misinterpreted as mocking my opponent. I mean, it's not a good game if they pick a bad strategy that fails hard, but what else do I say?

On very rare occasion, I'll drop a 'bg' (for bad game) in a half-joking manner. The only 2 reasons I can think of for why I've done this are 1) it was an incredibly boring, sluggish game or 2) My opponent was a victim of some extremely awful luck. I'd never say bg if I'm the one with bad luck, that's just whiny and pathetic.

I think gg after the game is fine coming first from the winner or loser. The one thing I do find obnoxious, though, is if the person who is about to win takes time before the game is over to say gg, either at the beginning of their turn or during the buy phase. I think that's reasonably interpreted as mocking.

Oh, really? I don't usually do that, but when I see it I think of it as a "fair warning" type of thing, and making sure they get it in before everyone leaves the uh game room.

(Also sometimes the losing player says gg early, thereby alerting the other player that they can three-pile on this turn for the win, which they otherwise would not have noticed.)

I have only seen bg a few times recently and at first glance found it kinda rude whether or not the person meant it that way. If they won it seems like it might imply "you played a bad game" and if they lost it's like it was only because of luck.

If I actually think it was a bad enough game that I don't want to say "good game", I'll say "thanks for the game" or something like that instead.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 01:31:43 pm »
+11

I am bad in general at rote social niceties. When I win I say something like "Victory is mine" or "That's the way the game was meant to be played." When I lose maybe "I am defeated." If they say gg I will at best reply with "gg us every one." I respond to "glhf" with "good luck high five" so they can think maybe I didn't quite get the acronym.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 06:45:34 pm »

And here I thought it meant "get lost hard fail". I have insulted countless people over nothing, and not insulted countless people over something.

Guess I shoul go ROFL and have a BRB.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2017, 04:15:29 am »
+1

You have to be actively and unjustifiably assuming malice on the part of the other person to make "Good luck" offensive. What a world.
Well, it does sound nicer than " I hope you shuffle like s@#$ and choke on your own Provinces!"

It's always been sub-cryptic, like "May the odds be ever in your favor"
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:02 am »
+1

When I get glhf from someone, I generally don't respond because I'm lazy and my keyboards is sooooo far away, but it at least lets me know that they are friendly (or at least trying to appear that way) and they probably won't cuss me out during the game or be a really impatient player.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »

Is it considered rude when people leave the table immediately after I win without saying gg? It always seems a bit rude to me.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »
+3

What I don't understand is someone who wishes you good luck and then starts complaining when they think you've been lucky. I normally say 'hi hf' if anything.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
+1

Is it considered rude when people leave the table immediately after I win without saying gg? It always seems a bit rude to me.
If it is, then I owe an apology to a lot of people who have kicked my butt.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 06:07:21 pm »

No, unless they say gg when they win.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »
+4

When i type 'gg' it's because I'm trying to jump to the start of the log.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 08:08:40 pm »
+3

When i type 'gg' it's because I'm trying to jump to the start of the log.

Is that a vi joke?

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 05:39:29 pm »

I've many times hesitated to write "gg" after a (crushing) win (because I feel bad for my opponent), although leaving without writing anything doesn't feel any better.

I think it is a tricky decision because I don't know what I'd really prefer if I get crushed. It can feel annoying no matter what way my opponent responds.

So.. I think I'm overthinking this and should rather go with the consistent "gg".

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:25 pm »
+1

I've many times hesitated to write "gg" after a (crushing) win (because I feel bad for my opponent), although leaving without writing anything doesn't feel any better.

I think it is a tricky decision because I don't know what I'd really prefer if I get crushed. It can feel annoying no matter what way my opponent responds.

So.. I think I'm overthinking this and should rather go with the consistent "gg".

I think "thanks for the game" is a polite sign off to a win. A lot longer than "gg" though. I guess you could go with "ty4game".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »

You shouldn't say gg until your opponent has said it. If the opponent doesn't care about gg etiquette, not saying gg won't offend them, but if they do, saying it will.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:04 pm »
+1

I think "thanks for the game" is a polite sign off to a win. A lot longer than "gg" though. I guess you could go with "ty4game".

I think that if anybody ever said "ty4game" in any context I would be offended at the lack of English.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2017, 11:28:27 pm »

I think that if anybody ever said "ty4game" in any context I would be offended at the lack of English.

ty4g hagd
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:36 am »

You shouldn't say gg until your opponent has said it. If the opponent doesn't care about gg etiquette, not saying gg won't offend them, but if they do, saying it will.

So in a Kantian world, nobody would ever say gg...?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:45 am »

So in a Kantian world, nobody would ever say gg...?

That's not what it means. It means that nobody would ever say gg as the winner without waiting for the loser to say it first.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.