Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"  (Read 17724 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
+2

At the risk of being overly literal here, I have always found it odd that some people wish their opponent 'good luck' in any game -- but especially in Dominion.

While I suspect it's usually shorthand for "Hello, let's enjoy this game together!", if it's taken at face value it makes very little sense. In a competitive game you hope to win, why would you wish that your opponent is lucky? Are you wishing for the absence of really bad luck?

These things only have the meaning that other people attach to them. Most people will read 'good luck' as a friendly greeting with no other hidden or overt meaning. Most people write it with the same intent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
+3

I generally tend not to replay against people who say nothing when I start out with "Hey, gl hf". (I don't lightning bolt them, that would be ridiculous.)  I'll say "gg" win or lose.  These are basic little league formalities that we were all taught in competitions when we were young, though the actual formality may differ from competition to competition.  Watch the Olympics, see how many players hug each other win or lose, medalist or no.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 03:21:34 pm »
+2

I hate it when people say "have a nice day". As if the niceness of the day was dependent on them saying it.
Also when my parents say "I love you", as if that's a state that frequently changes and thus needs to be constant reaffirmed.

In fact this might be appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »

I generally tend not to replay against people who say nothing when I start out with "Hey, gl hf". (I don't lightning bolt them, that would be ridiculous.)  I'll say "gg" win or lose.  These are basic little league formalities that we were all taught in competitions when we were young, though the actual formality may differ from competition to competition.  Watch the Olympics, see how many players hug each other win or lose, medalist or no.

I will always (almost always?) respond to a 'hfgl' with some variation on "hi hf" or "have fun" or what have you, but I rarely initiate it (though the discussion in this thread is making me rethink that).

Bowi

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
+4

I've played my fair share of competitive games so I might as well chime in for the "gg" discussion.

"gg" originates from professional StarCraft, as far as I know. In StarCraft, the game is "over" far before it ends; the game drags on for quite a bit if no one surrenders, but the victor is absolutely certain. Because of this, the polite practice is to say "gg" and leave the game once you are at a decisive disadvantage. Generally the winner would respond with a polite "gg" of his own.

Even though saying "gg" was polite, it could also be used in a bad-mannered ("bm") way. If you felt you were at an insurmountable advantage and the opponent stubbornly stayed in the game, you could say what's called an "offensive gg" by typing "gg," as a way of scolding the other player for not leaving. Historically, it was always left to the loser to initiate the "gg" exchange.

In my opinion, if the loser doesn't say "gg," you probably shouldn't bother. It kind of comes off as patronizing to a person who's already in a bad mood (as indicated by their abstinence from saying "gg"). If they don't say it, they probably don't want to hear it.

As for "glhf" and variants, it's just being polite. It doesn't really mean much in a literal sense but is just a formality really.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »
+4

If we are interpreting "glhf" as the offer to shake hands before a match, shouldn't "gg" mean a similar thing post-match? Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

At least in Magic circles, the loser is supposed to offer the handshake and the winner is supposed to accept it, too. I guess there are two reasons for this:

• Most games end in resignation, so offering the handshake/saying gg is what you do when you resign
  • If you offer the handshake as the winner, it can come off as "thanks for losing" rather than just "thanks for playing"
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:19 pm »
+3

So many of these conventions are dependent on cultural differences and it's impossible to know who you are playing online and so impossible to interpret their comments.

As with anything on the internet, you just have to put on your thick skin and give the other person the benefit of the doubt if they aren't being explicitly rude.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 09:29:10 am »
+2

You have to be actively and unjustifiably assuming malice on the part of the other person to make "Good luck" offensive. What a world.

"I'm going to propose to her."

"Good luck."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 10:31:23 am »
+1

I hate it when people say "have a nice day". As if the niceness of the day was dependent on them saying it.
Also when my parents say "I love you", as if that's a state that frequently changes and thus needs to be constant reaffirmed.

In fact this might be appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

"Have a nice day" is short for "I hope you have a nice day", i.e., they are expressing sympathy towards you. Obviously they don't have a lot of control over it, beyond refraining from spitting on your face or whatever.

The "I love you" thing could either be, depending on the context, either a way to greet you (e.g. when ending the conversation), or a way to express that you are currently feeling that love. You can love someone without experiencing that emotion 24/7, but when you actually experience it, you might want to "release" it, and sometimes a hug or a kiss is not appropriate, so you just state it instead. Of course, it could also be that they want to know if the feeling is (still) reciprocated, whether because they feel a bit insecure at that specific moment (maybe you don't express love in a way they "understand", for lack of a better word), or because an exchange didn't go as well as they would have liked.

The words people use and the actual intent behind the act of speaking are rarely one and the same.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 10:46:12 am »

This thread has one of the highest respect/post ratios on f.ds.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 10:54:28 am »

What are the threads with higher ratios?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:40 am »
+4

The words people use and the actual intent behind the act of speaking are rarely one and the same.

I'll hijack this entirely true sentence to point out that I was being entirely unserious  ;). The linked video is a SNL skit(?) that satirizes people taking words overly literally.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 11:39:40 am »
+5

So I should post here to get more respect. Right?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 12:01:38 pm »
+11

Good luck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 12:10:23 pm »
+7

Because it's polite?  Because it's good sportsmanship?  Because playing a good game is more important than winning?  Because you can cheer on your opponent if they're playing better than you are?  Because you're not a spiteful, narcissistic asshole that wallows in their own filth demanding that they win everything?

I mean, I dunno.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 01:13:58 pm »

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 01:39:20 pm »
+1

I just say it so they know I'm present and reading the cards.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:58 pm »
+1

I just say it so they know I'm present and reading the cards.

For that you can also just say "Hi." 

Of course I have no problem with glhf.

The thing is, all you can control are your own motivations, if the other guy takes it wrong, that is his issue, not yours.  Just do what seems right to you.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 03:30:54 pm »
+7

If [...] you could say what's called an "offensive gg"

forum.ggstrategy.com

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:31 pm »
+1

Because it's polite?  Because it's good sportsmanship?  Because playing a good game is more important than winning?  Because you can cheer on your opponent if they're playing better than you are?  Because you're not a spiteful, narcissistic asshole that wallows in their own filth demanding that they win everything?

I mean, I dunno.

This.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
+1

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »

I'll hijack this entirely true sentence to point out that I was being entirely unserious  ;). The linked video is a SNL skit(?) that satirizes people taking words overly literally.

well all my post was also sarcastic. obviously

Maybe next time I will wait until I can open youtube videos to write a reply.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:55 pm »

What are the threads with higher ratios?

Well here's one with a 17:1 ratio:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16816.0
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 05:22:51 pm »
+1

One thing I find interesting is that "good luck" and "have fun" seem to be things only said in online gaming. It would be weird if I sat down to play Dominion or any other board game with some friends and told them all "good luck" or "have fun".

Which, in some ways, is the opposite of what makes sense, just given that an in person game among friends is a friendlier game more about having a good time. While an online game has a bigger element of competition with the rankings and such; on top of the fact that you're playing against strangers and not friends.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:38 pm »

One thing I find interesting is that "good luck" and "have fun" seem to be things only said in online gaming. It would be weird if I sat down to play Dominion or any other board game with some friends and told them all "good luck" or "have fun".

Which, in some ways, is the opposite of what makes sense, just given that an in person game among friends is a friendlier game more about having a good time. While an online game has a bigger element of competition with the rankings and such; on top of the fact that you're playing against strangers and not friends.
In IRL games, I'm more likely to comment on the kingdom.  Like look at that delicious synergy between Donate and Bureaucrat!  You can trash the silver you gained, and the Bureacrat at the same time!

But seriously, IRL nobody's politeness (or lack thereof) is in question.  On the internet people are not always polite, so if you're feeling polite it makes sense to show it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.