Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"  (Read 17728 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:06:29 am »
+2

At the risk of being overly literal here, I have always found it odd that some people wish their opponent 'good luck' in any game -- but especially in Dominion.

While I suspect it's usually shorthand for "Hello, let's enjoy this game together!", if it's taken at face value it makes very little sense. In a competitive game you hope to win, why would you wish that your opponent is lucky? Are you wishing for the absence of really bad luck?

A more cynical interpretation is that it's a form of taunting or gamesmanship, as in "Good luck, you're going to need it!" In virtually any other competition I can think of, if one opponent said "good luck!" to the other before the match, it would most likely be interpreted this way.

Does anyone else find this odd?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
+7

I say it because I want the game to be a game of skill, decided by our strategies and clever ploys, rather than by blind chance. "Let the best man win".
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:13:47 am »
+2

I say it because I want the game to be a game of skill, decided by our strategies and clever ploys, rather than by blind chance. "Let the best man win".

So this falls under the interpretation "I hope no one gets screwed by bad luck"?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:43 am »
+1

I agree with you (Cave-o) which is one reason I don't say it (the main reason being that I rarely greet anyone on the internet). "Have fun" makes sense unless Possession is on the board or something. I would assume "glhf" comes from other online games and people have simply adopted saying it, but I agree, if someone doesn't know the context it could even be taken as offensive.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:19:34 am »
+26

You have to be actively and unjustifiably assuming malice on the part of the other person to make "Good luck" offensive. What a world.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:38:23 am »

You have to be actively and unjustifiably assuming malice on the part of the other person to make "Good luck" offensive. What a world.

I mean, there are people who interpret "gg" as a taunt or a boast, so I don't think it's a crazy thing to discuss. To be clear, I'm not staking out the position that it IS offensive -- it just strikes me as a pointedly odd phrase to use in a game that can turn on luck.

I like McGarnacle's interpretation the best: it's the hope for the absence of horrible luck to all players.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:39:24 am by Cave-o-sapien »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:44:04 am »
+3

I prefer "Take luck!"

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:55:55 am »
+2

I mean, there are people who interpret "gg" as a taunt or a boast, so I don't think it's a crazy thing to discuss. To be clear, I'm not staking out the position that it IS offensive -- it just strikes me as a pointedly odd phrase to use in a game that can turn on luck.

I like McGarnacle's interpretation the best: it's the hope for the absence of horrible luck to all players.

This is why it's not crazy to think someone could see it as offensive. There are in fact games where "gg" is used as the equivalent of "I bodied you, scrub." A simple "hi" or just "have fun" is a perfectly neutral greeting that isn't really open to other interpretations.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:25 pm »
+4

Does anyone else find this odd?

I can only imagine that this is due to a decline of civility on ShuffleIT.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:20:10 pm »
+5

If I recognize my opponent or they greet me first, I say hi. If my opponent says something like glhf, I respond with you too. I don't think there's any special meaning behind the phrase, people just say it because that's a thing that's done in online gaming.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:21:20 pm »
+2

Yeah this has already been discussed at great length on multiple other thread; though not recently.

Anyway, due to the simple fact that phrases and labels quite often have meanings other than their most literal interpretation. That's simply the way language works.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/idiom
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:22:05 pm »
+6

It's just a convention for being polite, not unlike asking people how they are doing when most of the time no one listens for the response.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:23:18 pm »
+3

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »
+1

It's just a convention for being polite, not unlike asking people how they are doing when most of the time no one listens for the response.

Right; they usually don't expect you to answer honestly or with anything beyond "Good, how are you?"

Yeah this has already been discussed at great length on multiple other thread; though not recently.

Anyway, due to the simple fact that phrases and labels quite often have meanings other than their most literal interpretation. That's simply the way language works.

There are in fact games where "gg" is used as the equivalent of "I bodied you, scrub."

What I'm taking from this discussion (and others) is that people are on average more generous in their interpretation of these idioms at the start of a game than they are at the end of a game (which shouldn't be surprising).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 01:39:55 pm »

Right; they usually don't expect you to answer honestly or with anything beyond "Good, how are you?"

There are in fact games where "gg" is used as the equivalent of "I bodied you, scrub."

What I'm taking from this discussion (and others) is that people are on average more generous in their interpretation of these idioms at the start of a game than they are at the end of a game (which shouldn't be surprising).

I don't know, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone said "gg" at or near the start of the game. That's like saying "my victory is assured" if it's not followed by a resignation soon after.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 01:42:47 pm »
+1

I just assume it's a polite greeting and respond in kind.  When someone says gg early, I think that they have decided they will lose, and am often surprised that they think that.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »

I don't know, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone said "gg" at or near the start of the game. That's like saying "my victory is assured" if it's not followed by a resignation soon after.

I agree in that case; it's a bit awkward when someone says 'gg' and keeps playing. I'm honestly not sure how I'm supposed to interpret that.

I was trying to draw a contrast between how people interpret "hfgl" at the start of a game with the myriad ways people interpret "gg" at the end (or near the end) of a game.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 02:08:03 pm »
+8

I used to always type "Good luck and have fun!" at the start of every game, and "gg" at the end of every game because I thought it was polite. Then I read the ShuffleIt forum and found at that saying literally anything to anyone at any time is the gravest possible insult against themselves, their mother, and their first born and so now I say nothing at all most of the time.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
+1

I say nothing at the start of a match unless my opponent does. At the end of a match I won, I will say "gg" if my opponent says it first. At the end of a match I lost, I will usually say "Well played!"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 02:19:25 pm »
+1

Well, loser saying gg first is pretty standard etiquette so when someone breaks that etiquette by gging first when they've won, you have to wonder if they're breaking it on purpose because they're being a jerk or if they just don't know that the proper way is to wait for the loser to say it first.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:34 pm »

Well, loser saying gg first is pretty standard etiquette so when someone breaks that etiquette by gging first when they've won, you have to wonder if they're breaking it on purpose because they're being a jerk or if they just don't know that the proper way is to wait for the loser to say it first.

I agree that this appears to be the standard etiquette, but I think it's unfortunate.

If we are interpreting "glhf" as the offer to shake hands before a match, shouldn't "gg" mean a similar thing post-match? Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »
+7

It's an extension of good sportsmanship from the real world. Politely saying "Good luck" before the game and a handshake after the game are are explicitly taught as easy ways to break the ice and show respect for your opponent and the game. Many little leagues and other sports do this. Online you don't "say" anything and you can't "shake hands", but it's still a game and typing "good luck" seems like a very similar thing.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 02:29:10 pm »
+8

Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

It is not. This is the first I've heard someone suggest it is. If I am in a typing mood, I'll say gg win or lose, first or second.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 02:37:20 pm »
+1

Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

It is not. This is the first I've heard someone suggest it is. If I am in a typing mood, I'll say gg win or lose, first or second.

This is what I thought as well until sometime earlier this year. Clearly there's not a consensus opinion. Maybe this should be a poll?

Right now it seems like the pre-match stuff is pretty straightforward: there's no expectation to say anything, but saying "glhf" is essentially a friendly handshake.

Post-match seems like a complicated mess where it matters who won and by how much, who dares speak first etc. and saying the wrong thing at the wrong time may make you come across as a monster.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »
+5

I (almost) always immediately type gg after the match, win or lose, without thinking. Maybe not if my opponent was a bit of a jerk, but that virtually never happens.

I feel most conflicted when it's a blowout. If I'm the loser, I'll say something like "gg. I played that stupid". If I'm the winner, then while I will still quickly type the gg, I'm aware I could be misinterpreted as mocking my opponent. I mean, it's not a good game if they pick a bad strategy that fails hard, but what else do I say?

On very rare occasion, I'll drop a 'bg' (for bad game) in a half-joking manner. The only 2 reasons I can think of for why I've done this are 1) it was an incredibly boring, sluggish game or 2) My opponent was a victim of some extremely awful luck. I'd never say bg if I'm the one with bad luck, that's just whiny and pathetic.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.