Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"  (Read 17851 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:06:29 am »
+2

At the risk of being overly literal here, I have always found it odd that some people wish their opponent 'good luck' in any game -- but especially in Dominion.

While I suspect it's usually shorthand for "Hello, let's enjoy this game together!", if it's taken at face value it makes very little sense. In a competitive game you hope to win, why would you wish that your opponent is lucky? Are you wishing for the absence of really bad luck?

A more cynical interpretation is that it's a form of taunting or gamesmanship, as in "Good luck, you're going to need it!" In virtually any other competition I can think of, if one opponent said "good luck!" to the other before the match, it would most likely be interpreted this way.

Does anyone else find this odd?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people wish their opponent "good luck?"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
+7

I say it because I want the game to be a game of skill, decided by our strategies and clever ploys, rather than by blind chance. "Let the best man win".
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:13:47 am »
+2

I say it because I want the game to be a game of skill, decided by our strategies and clever ploys, rather than by blind chance. "Let the best man win".

So this falls under the interpretation "I hope no one gets screwed by bad luck"?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:43 am »
+1

I agree with you (Cave-o) which is one reason I don't say it (the main reason being that I rarely greet anyone on the internet). "Have fun" makes sense unless Possession is on the board or something. I would assume "glhf" comes from other online games and people have simply adopted saying it, but I agree, if someone doesn't know the context it could even be taken as offensive.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:19:34 am »
+26

You have to be actively and unjustifiably assuming malice on the part of the other person to make "Good luck" offensive. What a world.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:38:23 am »

You have to be actively and unjustifiably assuming malice on the part of the other person to make "Good luck" offensive. What a world.

I mean, there are people who interpret "gg" as a taunt or a boast, so I don't think it's a crazy thing to discuss. To be clear, I'm not staking out the position that it IS offensive -- it just strikes me as a pointedly odd phrase to use in a game that can turn on luck.

I like McGarnacle's interpretation the best: it's the hope for the absence of horrible luck to all players.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:39:24 am by Cave-o-sapien »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:44:04 am »
+3

I prefer "Take luck!"

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:55:55 am »
+2

I mean, there are people who interpret "gg" as a taunt or a boast, so I don't think it's a crazy thing to discuss. To be clear, I'm not staking out the position that it IS offensive -- it just strikes me as a pointedly odd phrase to use in a game that can turn on luck.

I like McGarnacle's interpretation the best: it's the hope for the absence of horrible luck to all players.

This is why it's not crazy to think someone could see it as offensive. There are in fact games where "gg" is used as the equivalent of "I bodied you, scrub." A simple "hi" or just "have fun" is a perfectly neutral greeting that isn't really open to other interpretations.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:25 pm »
+4

Does anyone else find this odd?

I can only imagine that this is due to a decline of civility on ShuffleIT.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:20:10 pm »
+5

If I recognize my opponent or they greet me first, I say hi. If my opponent says something like glhf, I respond with you too. I don't think there's any special meaning behind the phrase, people just say it because that's a thing that's done in online gaming.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:21:20 pm »
+2

Yeah this has already been discussed at great length on multiple other thread; though not recently.

Anyway, due to the simple fact that phrases and labels quite often have meanings other than their most literal interpretation. That's simply the way language works.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/idiom
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:22:05 pm »
+6

It's just a convention for being polite, not unlike asking people how they are doing when most of the time no one listens for the response.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:23:18 pm »
+3

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »
+1

It's just a convention for being polite, not unlike asking people how they are doing when most of the time no one listens for the response.

Right; they usually don't expect you to answer honestly or with anything beyond "Good, how are you?"

Yeah this has already been discussed at great length on multiple other thread; though not recently.

Anyway, due to the simple fact that phrases and labels quite often have meanings other than their most literal interpretation. That's simply the way language works.

There are in fact games where "gg" is used as the equivalent of "I bodied you, scrub."

What I'm taking from this discussion (and others) is that people are on average more generous in their interpretation of these idioms at the start of a game than they are at the end of a game (which shouldn't be surprising).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 01:39:55 pm »

Right; they usually don't expect you to answer honestly or with anything beyond "Good, how are you?"

There are in fact games where "gg" is used as the equivalent of "I bodied you, scrub."

What I'm taking from this discussion (and others) is that people are on average more generous in their interpretation of these idioms at the start of a game than they are at the end of a game (which shouldn't be surprising).

I don't know, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone said "gg" at or near the start of the game. That's like saying "my victory is assured" if it's not followed by a resignation soon after.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 01:42:47 pm »
+1

I just assume it's a polite greeting and respond in kind.  When someone says gg early, I think that they have decided they will lose, and am often surprised that they think that.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »

I don't know, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone said "gg" at or near the start of the game. That's like saying "my victory is assured" if it's not followed by a resignation soon after.

I agree in that case; it's a bit awkward when someone says 'gg' and keeps playing. I'm honestly not sure how I'm supposed to interpret that.

I was trying to draw a contrast between how people interpret "hfgl" at the start of a game with the myriad ways people interpret "gg" at the end (or near the end) of a game.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +355
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 02:08:03 pm »
+8

I used to always type "Good luck and have fun!" at the start of every game, and "gg" at the end of every game because I thought it was polite. Then I read the ShuffleIt forum and found at that saying literally anything to anyone at any time is the gravest possible insult against themselves, their mother, and their first born and so now I say nothing at all most of the time.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
+1

I say nothing at the start of a match unless my opponent does. At the end of a match I won, I will say "gg" if my opponent says it first. At the end of a match I lost, I will usually say "Well played!"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 02:19:25 pm »
+1

Well, loser saying gg first is pretty standard etiquette so when someone breaks that etiquette by gging first when they've won, you have to wonder if they're breaking it on purpose because they're being a jerk or if they just don't know that the proper way is to wait for the loser to say it first.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:34 pm »

Well, loser saying gg first is pretty standard etiquette so when someone breaks that etiquette by gging first when they've won, you have to wonder if they're breaking it on purpose because they're being a jerk or if they just don't know that the proper way is to wait for the loser to say it first.

I agree that this appears to be the standard etiquette, but I think it's unfortunate.

If we are interpreting "glhf" as the offer to shake hands before a match, shouldn't "gg" mean a similar thing post-match? Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »
+7

It's an extension of good sportsmanship from the real world. Politely saying "Good luck" before the game and a handshake after the game are are explicitly taught as easy ways to break the ice and show respect for your opponent and the game. Many little leagues and other sports do this. Online you don't "say" anything and you can't "shake hands", but it's still a game and typing "good luck" seems like a very similar thing.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 02:29:10 pm »
+8

Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

It is not. This is the first I've heard someone suggest it is. If I am in a typing mood, I'll say gg win or lose, first or second.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 02:37:20 pm »
+1

Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

It is not. This is the first I've heard someone suggest it is. If I am in a typing mood, I'll say gg win or lose, first or second.

This is what I thought as well until sometime earlier this year. Clearly there's not a consensus opinion. Maybe this should be a poll?

Right now it seems like the pre-match stuff is pretty straightforward: there's no expectation to say anything, but saying "glhf" is essentially a friendly handshake.

Post-match seems like a complicated mess where it matters who won and by how much, who dares speak first etc. and saying the wrong thing at the wrong time may make you come across as a monster.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »
+5

I (almost) always immediately type gg after the match, win or lose, without thinking. Maybe not if my opponent was a bit of a jerk, but that virtually never happens.

I feel most conflicted when it's a blowout. If I'm the loser, I'll say something like "gg. I played that stupid". If I'm the winner, then while I will still quickly type the gg, I'm aware I could be misinterpreted as mocking my opponent. I mean, it's not a good game if they pick a bad strategy that fails hard, but what else do I say?

On very rare occasion, I'll drop a 'bg' (for bad game) in a half-joking manner. The only 2 reasons I can think of for why I've done this are 1) it was an incredibly boring, sluggish game or 2) My opponent was a victim of some extremely awful luck. I'd never say bg if I'm the one with bad luck, that's just whiny and pathetic.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
+2

At the risk of being overly literal here, I have always found it odd that some people wish their opponent 'good luck' in any game -- but especially in Dominion.

While I suspect it's usually shorthand for "Hello, let's enjoy this game together!", if it's taken at face value it makes very little sense. In a competitive game you hope to win, why would you wish that your opponent is lucky? Are you wishing for the absence of really bad luck?

These things only have the meaning that other people attach to them. Most people will read 'good luck' as a friendly greeting with no other hidden or overt meaning. Most people write it with the same intent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
+3

I generally tend not to replay against people who say nothing when I start out with "Hey, gl hf". (I don't lightning bolt them, that would be ridiculous.)  I'll say "gg" win or lose.  These are basic little league formalities that we were all taught in competitions when we were young, though the actual formality may differ from competition to competition.  Watch the Olympics, see how many players hug each other win or lose, medalist or no.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 03:21:34 pm »
+2

I hate it when people say "have a nice day". As if the niceness of the day was dependent on them saying it.
Also when my parents say "I love you", as if that's a state that frequently changes and thus needs to be constant reaffirmed.

In fact this might be appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »

I generally tend not to replay against people who say nothing when I start out with "Hey, gl hf". (I don't lightning bolt them, that would be ridiculous.)  I'll say "gg" win or lose.  These are basic little league formalities that we were all taught in competitions when we were young, though the actual formality may differ from competition to competition.  Watch the Olympics, see how many players hug each other win or lose, medalist or no.

I will always (almost always?) respond to a 'hfgl' with some variation on "hi hf" or "have fun" or what have you, but I rarely initiate it (though the discussion in this thread is making me rethink that).

Bowi

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
+4

I've played my fair share of competitive games so I might as well chime in for the "gg" discussion.

"gg" originates from professional StarCraft, as far as I know. In StarCraft, the game is "over" far before it ends; the game drags on for quite a bit if no one surrenders, but the victor is absolutely certain. Because of this, the polite practice is to say "gg" and leave the game once you are at a decisive disadvantage. Generally the winner would respond with a polite "gg" of his own.

Even though saying "gg" was polite, it could also be used in a bad-mannered ("bm") way. If you felt you were at an insurmountable advantage and the opponent stubbornly stayed in the game, you could say what's called an "offensive gg" by typing "gg," as a way of scolding the other player for not leaving. Historically, it was always left to the loser to initiate the "gg" exchange.

In my opinion, if the loser doesn't say "gg," you probably shouldn't bother. It kind of comes off as patronizing to a person who's already in a bad mood (as indicated by their abstinence from saying "gg"). If they don't say it, they probably don't want to hear it.

As for "glhf" and variants, it's just being polite. It doesn't really mean much in a literal sense but is just a formality really.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »
+4

If we are interpreting "glhf" as the offer to shake hands before a match, shouldn't "gg" mean a similar thing post-match? Why is it incumbent on the loser to offer to shake hands first? Why is it seen as poor etiquette for the winner to offer their hand first?

At least in Magic circles, the loser is supposed to offer the handshake and the winner is supposed to accept it, too. I guess there are two reasons for this:

• Most games end in resignation, so offering the handshake/saying gg is what you do when you resign
  • If you offer the handshake as the winner, it can come off as "thanks for losing" rather than just "thanks for playing"

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:19 pm »
+3

So many of these conventions are dependent on cultural differences and it's impossible to know who you are playing online and so impossible to interpret their comments.

As with anything on the internet, you just have to put on your thick skin and give the other person the benefit of the doubt if they aren't being explicitly rude.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 09:29:10 am »
+2

"I'm going to propose to her."

"Good luck."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 10:31:23 am »
+1

I hate it when people say "have a nice day". As if the niceness of the day was dependent on them saying it.
Also when my parents say "I love you", as if that's a state that frequently changes and thus needs to be constant reaffirmed.

In fact this might be appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

"Have a nice day" is short for "I hope you have a nice day", i.e., they are expressing sympathy towards you. Obviously they don't have a lot of control over it, beyond refraining from spitting on your face or whatever.

The "I love you" thing could either be, depending on the context, either a way to greet you (e.g. when ending the conversation), or a way to express that you are currently feeling that love. You can love someone without experiencing that emotion 24/7, but when you actually experience it, you might want to "release" it, and sometimes a hug or a kiss is not appropriate, so you just state it instead. Of course, it could also be that they want to know if the feeling is (still) reciprocated, whether because they feel a bit insecure at that specific moment (maybe you don't express love in a way they "understand", for lack of a better word), or because an exchange didn't go as well as they would have liked.

The words people use and the actual intent behind the act of speaking are rarely one and the same.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 10:46:12 am »

This thread has one of the highest respect/post ratios on f.ds.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 10:54:28 am »

What are the threads with higher ratios?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:40 am »
+4

The words people use and the actual intent behind the act of speaking are rarely one and the same.

I'll hijack this entirely true sentence to point out that I was being entirely unserious  ;). The linked video is a SNL skit(?) that satirizes people taking words overly literally.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 11:39:40 am »
+5

So I should post here to get more respect. Right?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 12:01:38 pm »
+11

Good luck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 12:10:23 pm »
+7

Because it's polite?  Because it's good sportsmanship?  Because playing a good game is more important than winning?  Because you can cheer on your opponent if they're playing better than you are?  Because you're not a spiteful, narcissistic asshole that wallows in their own filth demanding that they win everything?

I mean, I dunno.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 01:13:58 pm »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 01:39:20 pm »
+1

I just say it so they know I'm present and reading the cards.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:58 pm »
+1

I just say it so they know I'm present and reading the cards.

For that you can also just say "Hi." 

Of course I have no problem with glhf.

The thing is, all you can control are your own motivations, if the other guy takes it wrong, that is his issue, not yours.  Just do what seems right to you.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 03:30:54 pm »
+7

If [...] you could say what's called an "offensive gg"

forum.ggstrategy.com

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:31 pm »
+1

Because it's polite?  Because it's good sportsmanship?  Because playing a good game is more important than winning?  Because you can cheer on your opponent if they're playing better than you are?  Because you're not a spiteful, narcissistic asshole that wallows in their own filth demanding that they win everything?

I mean, I dunno.

This.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
+1

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »

I'll hijack this entirely true sentence to point out that I was being entirely unserious  ;). The linked video is a SNL skit(?) that satirizes people taking words overly literally.

well all my post was also sarcastic. obviously

Maybe next time I will wait until I can open youtube videos to write a reply.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:55 pm »

What are the threads with higher ratios?

Well here's one with a 17:1 ratio:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16816.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 05:22:51 pm »
+1

One thing I find interesting is that "good luck" and "have fun" seem to be things only said in online gaming. It would be weird if I sat down to play Dominion or any other board game with some friends and told them all "good luck" or "have fun".

Which, in some ways, is the opposite of what makes sense, just given that an in person game among friends is a friendlier game more about having a good time. While an online game has a bigger element of competition with the rankings and such; on top of the fact that you're playing against strangers and not friends.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:38 pm »

One thing I find interesting is that "good luck" and "have fun" seem to be things only said in online gaming. It would be weird if I sat down to play Dominion or any other board game with some friends and told them all "good luck" or "have fun".

Which, in some ways, is the opposite of what makes sense, just given that an in person game among friends is a friendlier game more about having a good time. While an online game has a bigger element of competition with the rankings and such; on top of the fact that you're playing against strangers and not friends.
In IRL games, I'm more likely to comment on the kingdom.  Like look at that delicious synergy between Donate and Bureaucrat!  You can trash the silver you gained, and the Bureacrat at the same time!

But seriously, IRL nobody's politeness (or lack thereof) is in question.  On the internet people are not always polite, so if you're feeling polite it makes sense to show it.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 05:57:52 pm »
+7

glhf is fine, why do people complain about glhf? They can't all be the best salutation ever.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »
+2

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input on this topic. I think most replies were made in line with the spirit of the original post.

If any consensus can be drawn, it's that "glhf" is the most universally-accepted idiom we have for a pre-match handshake representing good sportsmanship. Moreover, if the "good luck" part of it should be interpreted at all literally, it means "I hope luck doesn't play a role in this game."

P.S. Maybe it's time to start using emojis?
🤝

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 06:21:14 pm »
+16

If etiquette 🍴 and my girl 👧 😍 both drowning 😱 👋 and I can only save one 😤 😬 Catch me at my girl funeral 😔 👻 🌹 saying glhf 😏 💯 😎 🤝

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
+2

I'm posting this just to lower the respect/post ratio of this thread.

I upvoted your post to make it bigger again.
Oh no! Too bad I would be completely thwarted if I somehow got 19 respect from that post. In that scenario, I would be the loser...
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2017, 08:50:26 pm »
+5

Good luck.
I'm offended

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 11:10:30 am »

I (almost) always immediately type gg after the match, win or lose, without thinking. Maybe not if my opponent was a bit of a jerk, but that virtually never happens.

I feel most conflicted when it's a blowout. If I'm the loser, I'll say something like "gg. I played that stupid". If I'm the winner, then while I will still quickly type the gg, I'm aware I could be misinterpreted as mocking my opponent. I mean, it's not a good game if they pick a bad strategy that fails hard, but what else do I say?

On very rare occasion, I'll drop a 'bg' (for bad game) in a half-joking manner. The only 2 reasons I can think of for why I've done this are 1) it was an incredibly boring, sluggish game or 2) My opponent was a victim of some extremely awful luck. I'd never say bg if I'm the one with bad luck, that's just whiny and pathetic.

I think gg after the game is fine coming first from the winner or loser. The one thing I do find obnoxious, though, is if the person who is about to win takes time before the game is over to say gg, either at the beginning of their turn or during the buy phase. I think that's reasonably interpreted as mocking.

I have only seen bg a few times recently and at first glance found it kinda rude whether or not the person meant it that way. If they won it seems like it might imply "you played a bad game" and if they lost it's like it was only because of luck.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
+1

I think gg after the game is fine coming first from the winner or loser. The one thing I do find obnoxious, though, is if the person who is about to win takes time before the game is over to say gg, either at the beginning of their turn or during the buy phase. I think that's reasonably interpreted as mocking.

Oh, really? I don't usually do that, but when I see it I think of it as a "fair warning" type of thing, and making sure they get it in before everyone leaves the uh game room.

(Also sometimes the losing player says gg early, thereby alerting the other player that they can three-pile on this turn for the win, which they otherwise would not have noticed.)

I have only seen bg a few times recently and at first glance found it kinda rude whether or not the person meant it that way. If they won it seems like it might imply "you played a bad game" and if they lost it's like it was only because of luck.

If I actually think it was a bad enough game that I don't want to say "good game", I'll say "thanks for the game" or something like that instead.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 01:31:43 pm »
+11

I am bad in general at rote social niceties. When I win I say something like "Victory is mine" or "That's the way the game was meant to be played." When I lose maybe "I am defeated." If they say gg I will at best reply with "gg us every one." I respond to "glhf" with "good luck high five" so they can think maybe I didn't quite get the acronym.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 06:45:34 pm »

And here I thought it meant "get lost hard fail". I have insulted countless people over nothing, and not insulted countless people over something.

Guess I shoul go ROFL and have a BRB.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2017, 04:15:29 am »
+1

Well, it does sound nicer than " I hope you shuffle like s@#$ and choke on your own Provinces!"

It's always been sub-cryptic, like "May the odds be ever in your favor"
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:02 am »
+1

When I get glhf from someone, I generally don't respond because I'm lazy and my keyboards is sooooo far away, but it at least lets me know that they are friendly (or at least trying to appear that way) and they probably won't cuss me out during the game or be a really impatient player.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »

Is it considered rude when people leave the table immediately after I win without saying gg? It always seems a bit rude to me.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »
+3

What I don't understand is someone who wishes you good luck and then starts complaining when they think you've been lucky. I normally say 'hi hf' if anything.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
+1

Is it considered rude when people leave the table immediately after I win without saying gg? It always seems a bit rude to me.
If it is, then I owe an apology to a lot of people who have kicked my butt.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 06:07:21 pm »

No, unless they say gg when they win.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »
+4

When i type 'gg' it's because I'm trying to jump to the start of the log.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 08:08:40 pm »
+3

When i type 'gg' it's because I'm trying to jump to the start of the log.

Is that a vi joke?

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 05:39:29 pm »

I've many times hesitated to write "gg" after a (crushing) win (because I feel bad for my opponent), although leaving without writing anything doesn't feel any better.

I think it is a tricky decision because I don't know what I'd really prefer if I get crushed. It can feel annoying no matter what way my opponent responds.

So.. I think I'm overthinking this and should rather go with the consistent "gg".

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:25 pm »
+1

I've many times hesitated to write "gg" after a (crushing) win (because I feel bad for my opponent), although leaving without writing anything doesn't feel any better.

I think it is a tricky decision because I don't know what I'd really prefer if I get crushed. It can feel annoying no matter what way my opponent responds.

So.. I think I'm overthinking this and should rather go with the consistent "gg".

I think "thanks for the game" is a polite sign off to a win. A lot longer than "gg" though. I guess you could go with "ty4game".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »

You shouldn't say gg until your opponent has said it. If the opponent doesn't care about gg etiquette, not saying gg won't offend them, but if they do, saying it will.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:04 pm »
+1

I think "thanks for the game" is a polite sign off to a win. A lot longer than "gg" though. I guess you could go with "ty4game".

I think that if anybody ever said "ty4game" in any context I would be offended at the lack of English.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2017, 11:28:27 pm »

I think that if anybody ever said "ty4game" in any context I would be offended at the lack of English.

ty4g hagd
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:36 am »

You shouldn't say gg until your opponent has said it. If the opponent doesn't care about gg etiquette, not saying gg won't offend them, but if they do, saying it will.

So in a Kantian world, nobody would ever say gg...?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:45 am »

That's not what it means. It means that nobody would ever say gg as the winner without waiting for the loser to say it first.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2017, 08:07:19 am »

That's not what it means. It means that nobody would ever say gg as the winner without waiting for the loser to say it first.

Oh, right. I only read the part of  HKs' post you quoted and didn't understand he talked about a situation where he was the winner specifically. In that case I agree to you. Writing "gg" can appear as condescending, especially if you win by a large margin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.