Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Undo Trolling  (Read 11402 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Undo Trolling
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:09 am »
+1

So like, here's the scenario:

Player A makes an honest mistake-click. Lets even say the outcome of that click gained them no information. E.g. Player A accidentally clicks action+coin on Pawn instead of an intentional action+card. Drawing the card reveals information, thus an undo after that would be up for debate. But before the card is drawn (after the Pawn is played), an undo is neither gaining nor losing any information.

Player B denies the request.

Player A requests the undo 1 or 2 more times.

Player B denies those.

Player A buys the last Province, with still another Buy available, and at this point is guaranteed to win the game.

Player A then requests an undo.

That is Undo Trolling. I've felt very tempted to do it (as Player A). Is this bad?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:13:10 am by Dingan »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Undo Trolling
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:17:32 am »
+7

Well, I mean, anything that makes the game longer for no particular reason is wasting time you could be spending playing a new game, right?  So if you're wasting your own time just to waste someone else's time, I'd say yes, that's trolling, and no, don't do that, you look like a jerk.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 07:51:32 am »
+6

I always resign and blacklist after step 3.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:12:07 am »
+7

I'm surprised you're even allowed to make an undo request a second time.

The undo system seems weird to me. You should automatically be allowed to undo anything that didn't give you any information, like the Pawn scenario you mention, without needing to ask approval. And you shouldn't be allowed to undo anything that did give information, whether the person gave permission or not.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
+2

The undo system seems weird to me. You should automatically be allowed to undo anything that didn't give you any information, like the Pawn scenario you mention, without needing to ask approval. And you shouldn't be allowed to undo anything that did give information, whether the person gave permission or not.

Why are you for restricting gentleman's agreements on the game? It's frankly none of your business what other people mutually agree to undo.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:00 am »
+4

Why are you for restricting gentleman's agreements on the game? It's frankly none of your business what other people mutually agree to undo.

It's quite a bit of his business if he's also ranked in the same system.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:37:03 am »
+6

It's quite a bit of his business if he's also ranked in the same system.

In the same way that a universal fiber internet connection and the prohibition of alcohol is his business. It's probably less likely to mess with matchmaking than disconnects, forfeits, drunk players.

It's simply not relevant on any meaningful scale to the ratings of the other people in the pool, so if his concern stems from that area it should be laughed off. There's a tradeoff of "imposing on other people" vs "how it affects me" and this is absurdly on one end of the scale.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 12:38:16 pm »
+1

Do you disagree with this part of his statement, though?

You should automatically be allowed to undo anything that didn't give you any information, like the Pawn scenario you mention, without needing to ask approval.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:08:14 pm »

It's simply not relevant on any meaningful scale to the ratings of the other people in the pool, so if his concern stems from that area it should be laughed off. There's a tradeoff of "imposing on other people" vs "how it affects me" and this is absurdly on one end of the scale.

It's pretty easy to justify the argument that everyone in the rating pool should be playing the same game, because if they aren't, there's no point in having them in the same rating pool either. It depends on your individual views whether you consider a game where you're allowed to undo +cards the same as a game where you aren't, and it also depends on your individual views which one you prefer. If the majority of players agree with Gendo, then that's the system that should be implemented.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 01:14:56 pm »
+8

I wouldn't have programmed undo, just planned on it; too many more important things. Given that there's undo, I would have it work like you say for rated games; for unrated games the "undo request" thing is fine.

IRL I allow undos with no new information, and do not when there's new information.

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 01:57:39 pm »
+16

I wouldn't have programmed undo, just planned on it; too many more important things. Given that there's undo, I would have it work like you say for rated games; for unrated games the "undo request" thing is fine.

IRL I allow undos with no new information, and do not when there's new information.

Jay doesn't involve himself much with the implementation details, but he had one explicit request: please have an undo button. That, and I wanted to have it myself too.
Join the Dominion League!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:52:58 pm »
+6

Jay doesn't involve himself much with the implementation details, but he had one explicit request: please have an undo button. That, and I wanted to have it myself too.
Oh I see. Well, well done then!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:07:49 pm »
+7

I for one would personally love to undo trolling.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 10:28:05 am »
+1

Why would you resign? If you beat someone who denied you the undo earlier it's so much more glorious  ;)

Personally, most people I've played with thankfully allow the undo, but I blacklist anyone who doesn't. If you have a big engine and you accidentally click the smithy first, even though you've technically gotten a bit of new information, it would be pretty rude for the opponent to deny the undo because 1) the new info doesn't matter, you're drawing your whole deck anyway and 2) it's pretty obvious what happened.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 11:45:40 am »
+3

It occurs to me that the opponent can't always tell if you're asking to undo something that gave you new information or not. If I play, for example, Hamlet, and then misclick "discard for +Action" when I meant discard for +Buy, I have to click undo to get out of that. But to the opponent, it just looks like I played Hamlet, drawing a card, and now I want to un-play it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 12:00:52 pm »
+6

Why would you resign? If you beat someone who denied you the undo earlier it's so much more glorious  ;)

It's much more dramatic to resign.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 02:16:32 pm »
+2

Personally, most people I've played with thankfully allow the undo, but I blacklist anyone who doesn't. If you have a big engine and you accidentally click the smithy first, even though you've technically gotten a bit of new information, it would be pretty rude for the opponent to deny the undo because 1) the new info doesn't matter, you're drawing your whole deck anyway and 2) it's pretty obvious what happened.

Your example is not always that obvious.  Maybe you depend on treasure payload and could play Smithy knowing there is a possibility to dead draw actions, but you are risking that to draw your gold.  Then, if you drew 3 actions, you want an undo.  From where I sit, it's hard to know in advance that you just misclicked the smithy rather than the village next to it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »
+4

Your example is not always that obvious.  Maybe you depend on treasure payload and could play Smithy knowing there is a possibility to dead draw actions, but you are risking that to draw your gold.  Then, if you drew 3 actions, you want an undo.  From where I sit, it's hard to know in advance that you just misclicked the smithy rather than the village next to it.

If you want to ask for a non-obvious undo, it's probably a good idea to explain the situation to your opponent before requesting it.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 03:55:55 pm »

Agreed

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:00 am »

In digital implementations, undoing a "Play All Treasures" function would've been nice if it costed you buying a Grand Market!

Silver
Silver
Silver
Copper..... (!)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 07:50:49 am »
+2

You should resign a) because trolls thrive more on rustling people's jimmies for prolonged periods than actually winning games and b) because it's much more useful for mods to have examples of games to pull up in which someone was clearly being trolled and chose to resign and blacklist.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:41 am »
+1

In digital implementations, undoing a "Play All Treasures" function would've been nice if it costed you buying a Grand Market!

Silver
Silver
Silver
Copper..... (!)

Since this is such a common mistake, I think Coppers shouldn't automatically be played in GM games, or when you're buying using Black Market and Grand Market is available.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 12:15:39 pm »
+1

Silver
Silver
Silver
Copper..... (!)

Since this is such a common mistake, I think Coppers shouldn't automatically be played in GM games, or when you're buying using Black Market and Grand Market is available.

This was a nice feature in Goko, so I'm sure it's on their list of future enhancements. Additionally, it was really nice how it WOULD play the Coppers if you weren't going to be able to afford the Grand Market anyway.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 12:27:21 pm »

Additionally, it was really nice how it WOULD play the Coppers if you weren't going to be able to afford the Grand Market anyway.

Except when you had special Treasures in your hand and could actually afford the Grand Market.

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:22 pm »
+6

Now the real example of undo trolling would be if Donald brought back Scout.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.