Miscellaneous > Introductions

Remember me?

(1/5) > >>

Fabian:
Hey guys,

It's been quite a while since I've visited this place, but some of you might remember me. I used to be a top ranked player on Isotropic in 2012 or so, more or less quitting the game once that was shut down. I played a bit with Dark Ages, at least enough to recognize the cards these days, but everything released after DA is essentially new to me.

I recently kinda got back into playing, and oh my is it hard to play optimally when you only know half the cards!

Anyway, I'd appreciate some input on how the way the game is being played has changed in the last ~3-4 years. If you wouldn't mind, I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on how best to learn playing well with these latest expansions. Obviously my fundamentals are reasonably solid, but with a lot of rust and a lot of new knowledge requirements mixed in there. Reading the Articles on each card is probably a good start? Do you still do the card rankings you used to do back in the days? Seeing what new/unfamiliar cards are universally regarded as great (or really bad) would probably speed the process up.

Thanks for any tips, and maybe I'll see you at the table :)

Awaclus:
You should join the Discord server and ask around if anyone wants to play using mostly the new cards. Articles can help a bit, but I think you're a good enough player that just seeing how those cards work in practice should give you better results.

faust:
There is a card ranking for 2016 that seems like a good first start. It does not include second edition cards, and some things are still severely misranked, but for an overall idea it's not bad. I think it might be particularly insightful to see how ranks changed for old cards that you still know, because that might help get a grasp of how the metagame changed.

In general I think the most recent expansions have strongly increased the decision density in Dominion. Back in the day, you could play something like Embassy-BM or DoubleJack in a fairly straightforward manner and win making very few actual decisions beyond choosing the strategy. That's mostly gone. There are way fewer boards on which BM is optimal, and even those where it is are more interesting and require more thought. Landmarks are a huge new concept that will influence a lot of games.

McGarnacle:
Engines keep getting better and Sea Hag sucks now.

Fabian:

--- Quote from: McGarnacle on August 26, 2017, 09:10:56 am ---Sea Hag sucks now.

--- End quote ---

Mind blown!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version