Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Engines need +buy  (Read 2256 times)

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Engines need +buy
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:15:02 pm »
+2

Game 6269663. I can't replay it, since I'm not a subscriber (shame on me!), but you guys can.

Events: Scouting Party and Plan. Cards: University, Fortune Teller, Gear, Caravan, Envoy, Island, Wandering Minstrel, Highway, King's Court, and a 10th card I forgot (it definitely didn't have +buy on it). No Platina/Colonies/Shelters.

My plan: Plan on Gears. Shift into 1st Gear, then 2nd Gear, then 3rd Gear. Buy some cash and a King's Court, then buy one Province per turn.

My opponent's plan: gain lots of shiny stuff.

I lost the King's Court split 8-1 (the last one went unclaimed). I lost the Island split 8-0. But somehow, I squeaked out the win.  ;)

Quite an amusing game.

Edit: maybe the 10th card was Advisor? I hope that someone who can actually see the game will help me out here...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:24:59 pm by TrojH »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Engines need +buy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:55:08 am »

Well, University is pseudo-+Buy. Not sure how good it is here.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:16:29 am »
+1

This is definitely a case of No Payload, coupled with very strong BM (Plan + Gear). The only payload here really is Province + Island turns, which even with Uni seems like it takes too long to set up. I'd just open Plan / Gear, get two more Gears as convenient / as Estates line up, then Gold and Green. Maybe the engine is just good enough, since you have Minstrel to sift, Highway to make KC gainable by Uni, and plenty of reasonable draw, but I'm still not seeing it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:37:00 am »
+1

I don't see why you want 1 kings court there at all.
Edit:
It seems ok with 3 gears
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:31:37 pm by Limetime »

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 01:25:10 pm »

I don't see why you want 1 kings court there at all.

I had a 7 coin turn at one point. I figured a King's Court would be better than a Gold, to improve the reliability of the deck (King's Courting a Gear is pretty nice).

I know, there's always the chance of the King's Court appearing in hand without a Gear. Maybe I just lucked out; that didn't happen the whole game.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »

Engines don't always need +Buy, but if you don't have it, you need to make sure you have some other plan to get a high amount of VP/turn, such as Gainers/Remodelers (e.g. Hero+Remodel) or VP tokens (though many VP token cards require +Buy to get significant VP from them).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:57:23 pm »

Engines don't always need +Buy, but if you don't have it, you need to make sure you have some other plan to get a high amount of VP/turn

Engines can also do fine even if high VP turns aren't available as long as there's a way to slow down the opponent (i.e., attacks).

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »

Engines don't always need +Buy, but if you don't have it, you need to make sure you have some other plan to get a high amount of VP/turn

Engines can also do fine even if high VP turns aren't available as long as there's a way to slow down the opponent (i.e., attacks).
I would argue that sometimes engines are just faster than bm or can out last the influx of green better than the alternatives.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:12:21 pm »

I would argue that sometimes engines are just faster than bm or can out last the influx of green better than the alternatives.

Distant Lands is a good example of the latter. Even if the best turn your engine can have is buying one Distant Lands or Province, if you can reliably buy and put all 8 Distant Lands on the mat over 9 turns and get to that stage quickly, your deck often will be in a better position for the final Provinces than an opponent with a money strategy who only went for Provinces.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.