Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Empires and Colony/Platinum  (Read 3573 times)

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: mistgun
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Empires and Colony/Platinum
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:29:07 pm »

OK, so I just got Empires (I know I'm late, but I wasn't sure if I wanted it really). And I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy the Base Cards set, in order to play with Colonies and Platinums with certain high-money Empires games (I don't have Prosperity).
In a nutshell, my question is : can Empires act enough of a Prosperity-sequel to allow Colony-games ?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Empires and Colony/Platinum
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:50:16 pm »

OK, so I just got Empires (I know I'm late, but I wasn't sure if I wanted it really). And I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy the Base Cards set, in order to play with Colonies and Platinums with certain high-money Empires games (I don't have Prosperity).
In a nutshell, my question is : can Empires act enough of a Prosperity-sequel to allow Colony-games ?
You can always add Dominate.

But in general, Empires is a Prosperity sequel more in terms of reusing VP tokens and does not touch the "big spending" theme all that much.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:05:51 pm »
+2

Actually, there kind of is a big spending theme, just the cards are in Debt. And, Fortune is pretty expensive and Dominate as you mentioned.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 02:36:59 pm »
+1

I don't think Platinum and Colony are at all necessary to enjoy Empires (indeed, Colony makes a lot of the set's alt VP worse). But it's certainly interesting enough to play with sometimes.

Instead I would buy Prosperity, which is among the best Dominion expansions. Then you can combine both and use Platinum / Colony all you want!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Chidressice

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • no registration required cam sites
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »

100% agree on the buying Prosperity advice. Also, it's never too late to enjoy something my friend. :) Glad you got Empires.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 04:07:10 pm »
+2

Well, you can have Platina and Colonies with just one card from Prosperity sometimes, and sometimes that card is something nobody even buys, and those games are still fine. So if you want to, there isn't really a reason why you couldn't get Platina and Colonies without Prosperity.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:00:36 pm »
+2

In my group we set a flat 20% chance of including P/C, regardless of whether the kingdom includes a Prosperity card.  So it isn't uncommon for us to have P/C, but no Prosperity cards, and we haven't run into any problems.  My opinion is that you don't need Empires or anything else to substitute for Prosperity in order to justify P/C.

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 02:40:29 am »

I straight up use Colony and Platinum in every game. I never play without them. So I say go right ahead and get them. Though I don't recommend the Base Cards set. I recommend getting Prosperity proper. It's an amazing expansion.

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:56:12 am »
+1

I know, but I have Dominion, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Adventures and just now Empires, and all that takes a lot of space already. At the very least, I'll wait till Nocturne is released. The thing is my cousins have Prosperity, and I've been avoiding buying expansions they have.
And really, all boxes are amazing expansions.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:22:06 am »

I haven't bought prosperity yet, but I have the little set of base cards (I played with mine too much and didn't sleeve them so I needed to replace them) which comes with plat and colony.  I Don't use them often, but it is fun to throw them in the kingdom occasionally, even though prosperity isn't there.  The worst that can happen is that nobody will be able to afford colony.  Then it's just like it wasn't there in the first place. 

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 09:09:27 am »

Well it's the same for me, I played too much with the basic cards without sleeving them (which I will do promptly), so much that we can differentiate Basic Treasures/Victories cards from Curses and Kingdom cards. And I'm not all that interested in Intrigue.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:12 am »
+2

I haven't bought prosperity yet, but I have the little set of base cards (I played with mine too much and didn't sleeve them so I needed to replace them)

But the base cards set doesn't have Mine in it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 10:24:42 am »

Well, you can have Platina and Colonies with just one card from Prosperity sometimes, and sometimes that card is something nobody even buys, and those games are still fine. So if you want to, there isn't really a reason why you couldn't get Platina and Colonies without Prosperity.

He's right. Although it's not within the official rules; nothing about the game would break or be necessarily bad if you play with Plantina and Colonies even if you had no Prosperity cards. Also true with the decision to use Shelters.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:44 am »

He's right. Although it's not within the official rules; nothing about the game would break or be necessarily bad if you play with Plantina and Colonies even if you had no Prosperity cards. Also true with the decision to use Shelters.

Yeah, when colony/shelters come up I don't even think it really crosses my mind whether there are any prosperity/dark ages cards in the kingdom. It just plays like a basic rules modification. It's kinda like playing with events/landmarks even with no other adventures/empires cards.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:31 am »

IMO, P/C is practically its own expansion... like a promo within an exp. if you will.

It's now substitute for Prosperity, but it's still a great addition none of the less.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.