Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What would you open here?  (Read 6097 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
What would you open here?
« on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:16 am »
+3

I think the decision is not easy, whether you split 5/2 or 4/3.

No colonies, no shelters

Events:
Scouting Party
----
Cellar
Moat
Scrying Pool
Forager
Cutpurse
Navigator
Sauna/Avanto
Count
Upgrade
Farmland

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: What would you open here?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:35:26 am »
+5

5/2: Count, Scouting Party
2/5: Cellar (Nothing?) / Count
4/3(3/4): Potion/Forager

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:02:29 am »
+2

I think Potion / Silver gives you the most flexibility here; you can pivot to Sauna for trash and grab Pools right away, or if you hit $5 instead of $4 you can go Count or Upgrade.

Forager is okay here and might actually be good enough that you open it anyway, because you eventually need the +Buy and end up doing some weird thing with Count's copper gain to sustain it. So maybe Potion Forager is actually correct.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:15:52 am »
+3

I think Potion / Silver gives you the most flexibility here; you can pivot to Sauna for trash and grab Pools right away, or if you hit $5 instead of $4 you can go Count or Upgrade.

Forager is okay here and might actually be good enough that you open it anyway, because you eventually need the +Buy and end up doing some weird thing with Count's copper gain to sustain it. So maybe Potion Forager is actually correct.

I certainly like a Forager opening. I'm not sure if I would open Forager/Potion or Forager/Sauna though. The Sauna/Avanto and Scrying Pool splits are both kind of important, but you can make up for losing one by winning the other.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:51:22 am »
+2

I think sauna/avanto is more important than the scrying pool split, as that is your only source of +action. Also think it is important to have count so you can continue to gain a copper to trash with a forager for +buy after you have trashed down. But not really as essential to use as a trasher.

Forager/silver might actually work well as an opening. Then pick up a second forager and a sauna on T3/T4.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:55:54 am »
+1

The Sauna village thing is nice but not really essential as you basically just use it to play Counts. I don't think you necessarily lose if you can only potentially play 2 Counts a turn where your opponent is potentially playing 3, assuming you are ahead in other ways. But I wouldn't want to completely lose the Sauna split unless I was way ahead in trashing/pools.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:58:23 am »
+12

Every time I discount the importance of Sauna/Avanto even just a little bit, I get crushed. So I would open Sauna/Silver here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:56:48 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »
+2

I open a bottle of aspirin for the headache of figuring this one out.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:59 pm »
+2

Every time I discount the importance of Sauna/Avanto even just a little bit, I get crushed. So I would open Sauna/Silver here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really thought I could beat Sauna/Avanto the other day, with different trashing and villages. And I was cursing them while they were busy buying all 5 Saunas. I still got crushed, though.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »
+4

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really thought I could beat Sauna/Avanto the other day, with different trashing and villages. And I was cursing them while they were busy buying all 5 Saunas. I still got crushed, though.

Sauna/Avanto is starting to feel like Urchin to me, which is the last time there was this card that was super powerful but I kept thinking "well, I can do something different here" and every single time it turned out that no, I couldn't do something different, I just had to go Urchin/Urchin all day.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 04:40:39 pm »
+4

You don't beat Sauna/Avanto by outjunking them, you beat Sauna/Avanto by playing a better more efficient engine (i.e. Scrying Pool)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:03:01 pm by dedicateddan »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:55:54 pm »
+1

You don't beat Sauna/Avanto by outjunking them, you beat Sauna/Avanto by playing a better engine (i.e. Scrying Pool)

So you're implicitly assuming I wasn't building an engine. And you're also implying that I shouldn't have bought a junking attack at all?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »
+2

Trying to curse a Sauna player is an exercise in futility, since their trashing is faster, less resource intensive and better for tempo than your cursing, unless you have like a Mountebank opening or something like that. Otherwise, their engine might come together almost as fast as it would without the cursing, really, and you probably spent one turn and a terminal slot on a card that doesn't really help your engine all that much. If it (what the card does in addition to junking, and what it costs) conveniently fits into your strategy and you manage to do it early, you can buy junkers against Sauna, but I wouldn't buy Sea Hag, for instance.

There is also no "while they are busy buying all 5 Saunas" because every Sauna they buy is a potential splitter cantrip trasher, so you need to be spending those five turns more efficiently than that instead of taking your sweet time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:12:25 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:26:32 pm »
+2

You don't beat Sauna/Avanto by outjunking them, you beat Sauna/Avanto by playing a better engine (i.e. Scrying Pool)

So you're implicitly assuming I wasn't building an engine. And you're also implying that I shouldn't have bought a junking attack at all?

Well, my primary point is that if another strong engine is available, it can often outpace the slowish Sauna-Silver opening. I don't really know how I would play the junking attack board - although on this Scrying Pool board, it's possible to ignore a Sauna rush, so, for example, a Forager/Potion opening can get a number of Pools, an Upgrade, and a Count by the time Avanto's become available.

Of course, if Sauna is the only trashing, it's necessary to pick some up. And if Avanto is the best draw, you'll want to pick some up.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »
+1

I don't know why you would assume the former. He was implying that you're engine better be very strong if you ingore Sauna, not that you didn't build one. Also he probably was implying the latter, since that is good advice vs Sauna decks.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 10:43:39 am »
+1

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't even considered Sauna/Forager. I wound up going for Sauna/Silver and my opponent split 5/2 and had some bad luck drawing his Count, so we didn't really get a test.

One argument against Potion/Forager is the relatively low payload for Scrying Pool. There's no extra actions, the best payload is Count (which is not slim pickings), and the only cantrip around is Sauna (besides Upgrade, which will force a trash).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:45:06 am by ehunt »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 10:40:03 pm »

Trying to curse a Sauna player is an exercise in futility, since their trashing is faster, less resource intensive and better for tempo than your cursing, unless you have like a Mountebank opening

Actually, Mountebank and Cultist generally murder Saunavanto. Every time I go for the power junker, I seem to beat Sauna player.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chidressice

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • no registration required cam sites
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 03:57:35 pm »

This is what I'd open with. It gives you the most options imo.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.