Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Splendor  (Read 10114 times)

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Splendor
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:15:13 am »
+1

Can I ask you guys how Splendor remains fun after just a couple of games?
Sure I haven't figured out optimal play, but I just feel like it's more of a time waster than an interesting challenge.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Splendor
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:19:15 am »
+1

Sure I haven't figured out optimal play, but I just feel like it's more of a time waster than an interesting challenge.

It was fun for like 30-50 games for me. Then I accidentally came up with a house rule to reduce the number of points you need to win from 15 to 12 (i.e. I explained the rules from memory and got it confused with the win condition from some other game) and now it's fun again because that actually nerfs my usual strategy a lot but not too much. I bet if I everyone in my playgroup was better at the game though, it would work just fine with the real rules because then I would be forced to improve upon my strategy anyway, but for the time being this is nice for making it a little bit more of a challenge for myself.

There's just a lot of subtleties in the strategy and tactics of Splendor, and you can get a little advantage here, and another little advantage there and it all adds up and then you win. In that sense it's not a very "flashy" game I guess, but I think it's fun that way. I'm probably not taking into account half the stuff I should, and there's still a lot of things I consider all the time, like the usual tempo principles, identifying rare minerals, finding patterns from the cards and nobles so that I can build efficiently, weighing the costs of certain cards against their expected benefits, denying stuff from my opponents whether it's cards or gems, etc.

One thing that I really appreciate about it is that while many games that are for 2-4 players work wonderfully with just two players but an unskilled third player can ruin them for everyone else (especially true for Dominion), you can't seem to ruin Splendor for the other players no matter how much you suck at it. It's also a very easy game to learn rules-wise, and there's not all that much analysis paralysis unless you already know what you're doing. This is why it's actually my favorite game to suggest whenever we're about to play something and the 7-year-old niece wants to join.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:51:38 pm »
+1

I don't know, my dad is obsessed with Splendor, formerly big on Catan. We play mostly two player these days. I've won the majority of our games, but I feel my dad is improving considerably and I have to improve as well to maintain my dominance.

Also, I heard there is an expansion coming out for Splendor.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 01:09:05 pm »
+1

I don't know, my dad is obsessed with Splendor, formerly big on Catan. We play mostly two player these days. I've won the majority of our games, but I feel my dad is improving considerably and I have to improve as well to maintain my dominance.

Also, I heard there is an expansion coming out for Splendor.

Splendor is barely a game, that's how I see it. The expansion you mention is actually four expansions in a box that you can mix and match. I'm hoping that some combination of them makes Splendor interesting.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »

Splendor is barely a game, that's how I see it.

How is it barely a game?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:33:04 pm »

you can't seem to ruin Splendor for the other players no matter how much you suck at it.

Somehow I found one.

Well, it was more of an attitude problem and not the game.

I was teaching my nephew, my niece, and her boyfriend. I went first, boyfriend was second, niece was third. On the penultimate round, I pointed out how close I was to 15 and that people should look carefully for a way to get points. I pointed out to my niece—who was far into second place—that one option is to take gems this round in order to buy a 5-point card next round. That would put her at 15, which is good if I cannot get above 15. After weighing her options, she decided to take the gems to plan for the 5-point card.

Then on my turn, I was able to get a card to put me at 16 points. This meant that my niece would not be able to win, but she could come in a very respectable second. All she has to do is buy that 5-point card. So in swoops her boyfriend on the final round, and he goes and reserves the 5-point card that she needed to get 15. It didn't even cost her second place; he just thought it'd be funny to do rather than let her feel good about that accomplishment.

I did tell her that in my mind she scored that 15 because I refuse to accept a screw-you move that is no benefit to the person enacting it. He still came in last. She still came in second. Now she was just pissed off.

I imagine no one here plays with people like those, but I did manage to find that one guy who did manage to ruin Splendor for his girlfriend. Much rolling of eyes.

Anyway, Splendor is absolutely a game. It's a very tactical game. It's very luck-driven, which is why strategy doesn't work so well. I've done okay with planning around two nobles with the most in common, but it's so easy to get burned by the luck of the draw. And yeah, I'm eager to see the expansion.
A man has no signature

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:33:29 pm »
+2

How is it barely a game?

There's just not much you can do. There are no interesting abilities. It's just, get some tokens, spend them to buy a card. The nobles provide some direction but it's not an interesting direction. It's just, get these combinations of cards. It's boring.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:28 pm »

One thing that I really appreciate about it is that while many games that are for 2-4 players work wonderfully with just two players but an unskilled third player can ruin them for everyone else (especially true for Dominion), you can't seem to ruin Splendor for the other players no matter how much you suck at it.

Actually I disagree; I find it to be a pretty big advantage to be sitting to the left of the newbie in a game between 2 experienced players in a new player.

I've often seen a specific color card desired by all players, and not available on the board. Better players will avoid buying any cards that they don't need to win, since it gives the next player the chance that he can buy the card he needs. The new player just buys a card because they can afford it (maybe it's even free), and the next player gets the noble.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:58:34 pm »
+4

How is it barely a game?

There's just not much you can do. There are no interesting abilities. It's just, get some tokens, spend them to buy a card. The nobles provide some direction but it's not an interesting direction. It's just, get these combinations of cards. It's boring.

It's always possible to make a statement in the "X is just Y" format about any X; that doesn't mean X is simple or boring or bad or anything like that, it just means that Y in and of itself is quite complex and more nuanced than the people making that argument realize. You know, electronic music is just some guy sitting on a computer clicking on buttons. Evolution is just a theory.

Yes, you could say that Splendor is "just" get some tokens, spend them to buy a card. But getting tokens and spending them to buy cards is far from trivial when you're racing your opponents to 15 points with the fewest cards, because that means you're competing for tempo and you're competing for the very limited resources. The game makes it easy to do exactly one of those things at a time, but you need to figure out how to do both and that's where you have to read your opponents' strategies, read the board, and get creative with what little the game allows you to do.

The nobles are actually more of a red herring than anything else. The easiest to get nobles require you to buy 8 cards, which sometimes happens with the actual 15 point end condition, but it's super rare to have those 8 cards match exactly with the requirements of the noble in a convenient enough way. The ones that require 9 cards are pretty much automatically a losing strategy because the player who only has like 7-8 cards wins the tiebreaker and also spending 9 turns on cards is a lot of turns to spend.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »

Actually I disagree; I find it to be a pretty big advantage to be sitting to the left of the newbie in a game between 2 experienced players in a new player.

I've often seen a specific color card desired by all players, and not available on the board. Better players will avoid buying any cards that they don't need to win, since it gives the next player the chance that he can buy the card he needs. The new player just buys a card because they can afford it (maybe it's even free), and the next player gets the noble.

I actually don't think it makes that big of a difference. You should be planning for most of your card purchases much more ahead than "oh, the previous player flipped that card, I'm going to buy it" and it's also not very common that you have the right gems for the card and even if you do, it's not very common that you want to spend them on that card instead of whatever you originally got them for.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 04:23:23 pm »
+1

Somehow I found one.

Well, you can definitely make it more difficult for your opponents to do what they're trying to do, but that's what a skilled Splendor player does so it's fine. In Dominion, for example, you can be playing around PPR just to have the next guy break it because he hasn't kept track of the score and then your wife wins because of that — that's really dumb, because it robs both you and your wife of the struggle to win the end game.

Anyway, Splendor is absolutely a game. It's a very tactical game. It's very luck-driven, which is why strategy doesn't work so well. I've done okay with planning around two nobles with the most in common, but it's so easy to get burned by the luck of the draw. And yeah, I'm eager to see the expansion.

I find it surprising that you would call it very luck-driven. There is a certain (probably pretty big) degree of first player advantage for sure, but after that it's just a very high-skill, low-luck game in my experience.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 04:30:18 pm »
+1

I actually don't think it makes that big of a difference. You should be planning for most of your card purchases much more ahead than "oh, the previous player flipped that card, I'm going to buy it" and it's also not very common that you have the right gems for the card and even if you do, it's not very common that you want to spend them on that card instead of whatever you originally got them for.

Later in the game, it's common that almost all, if not all, level 1 cards can be taken for free. And when there's a specific color needed either to get a noble or to get a level 3 card, some cards are way better than others. I'm not saying it's an every game thing, but on multiple occasions I or my opponent has benefited from a new player buying a card that they shouldn't have due to revealing a new card.

Earlier in the game, you can have a similar issue with some cards (costing 3 gems) being better than other cards (costing 5 gems). If my opponent spends 5 gems on a card, which now allows me to spend 3 gems on a card, my other opponent will wish that he hadn't done that.

forum.splendorstrategy.com... and LF says it's not even a game...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 04:33:34 pm »
+4

It's always possible to make a statement in the "X is just Y" format about any X; that doesn't mean X is simple or boring or bad or anything like that, it just means that Y in and of itself is quite complex and more nuanced than the people making that argument realize. You know, electronic music is just some guy sitting on a computer clicking on buttons. Evolution is just a theory.
Really, Awaclus. Always being able to say "X is just Y" doesn't cause or require Y to be nuanced or complex. It doesn't tell us anything about Y.

For me Splendor is at the level of games like Rummy. Whatever subtleties are there, however fun some people may find them, it's not enough for me personally.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 05:13:56 pm »
+3

forum.splendorstrategy.com... and LF says it's not even a game...

I said that it's barely a game! And admittedly it was an unfair characterization. I just don't personally find it to be much fun.

Yes, you could say that Splendor is "just" get some tokens, spend them to buy a card. But getting tokens and spending them to buy cards is far from trivial when you're racing your opponents to 15 points with the fewest cards, because that means you're competing for tempo and you're competing for the very limited resources. The game makes it easy to do exactly one of those things at a time, but you need to figure out how to do both and that's where you have to read your opponents' strategies, read the board, and get creative with what little the game allows you to do.

Yeah, but I don't want to learn to do those things. I don't care about getting to advanced play because the basic play isn't interesting to me. It's always the same decks of cards. The cards in those decks are just a cost, a 1-gem benefit, and a number of VP. The only thing that really changes between games is the nobles, and they're also just a cost and a VP reward. It's not exciting.

The nobles are actually more of a red herring than anything else. The easiest to get nobles require you to buy 8 cards, which sometimes happens with the actual 15 point end condition, but it's super rare to have those 8 cards match exactly with the requirements of the noble in a convenient enough way. The ones that require 9 cards are pretty much automatically a losing strategy because the player who only has like 7-8 cards wins the tiebreaker and also spending 9 turns on cards is a lot of turns to spend.

Well I do appreciate the strategy advice. But if nobles are really a trap most of the time, that's even more damning for a game that's already dull.

To be clear, I own a copy of Splendor. My wife liked it enough that I bought it for her birthday or some such holiday. And at the risk of throwing good money after bad, I plan to get the expansion pack; from its description it sounds like it'll add a lot more "game". But just base Splendor? It gets old really fast.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 05:14:18 pm »
+1

Splendor is barely a game, that's how I see it. The expansion you mention is actually four expansions in a box that you can mix and match. I'm hoping that some combination of them makes Splendor interesting.

I sort of feel the same but my group still plays it now and again. In fact it's known as the game where everyone is tense and doesn't speak for 30 minutes. And the guy who has it on his phone wins every time. But we still play it, I think maybe it's just quite nice to play even with the tension and builds nicely.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 05:16:00 pm »

I sort of feel the same but my group still plays it now and again. In fact it's known as the game where everyone is tense and doesn't speak for 30 minutes. And the guy who has it on his phone wins every time. But we still play it, I think maybe it's just quite nice to play even with the tension and builds nicely.

I really like the aspect of building up your tableau. I just want my tableau to have more interesting things than cost reduction.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
+2

I really like the aspect of building up your tableau. I just want my tableau to have more interesting things than cost reduction.

The quality of the decisions are interesting. The game asks you to make one quality decision each turn and that's better than games that ask you to do make five trivial decisions that all take time and are not particularly interesting to you or anyone else.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 05:32:53 pm »

So, like stuff that let you add more cards to your tableau; things that put junk cards in other player's tableaus; maybe ways to trash the crappy cards from your tableau, and ways to buy multiple cards at once? Of course, you would be limited to using only 1 card from your tableau at a time. Unless that card has an ability that says you can then use another, or maybe 2 more.

All that to say... I think of Splendor as a deck builder. One where your entire deck just happens to be in your hand. And every card is Highway, though some are also Great Hall.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:57 pm »

The quality of the decisions are interesting. The game asks you to make one quality decision each turn and that's better than games that ask you to do make five trivial decisions that all take time and are not particularly interesting to you or anyone else.

But I don't enjoy those other games either. At least I don't think I do.

The one decision you make per turn may be "quality" in that it's both meaningful and non-trivial. That doesn't make it interesting to me, though. I have the same issue with chess.

So, like stuff that let you add more cards to your tableau; things that put junk cards in other player's tableaus; maybe ways to trash the crappy cards from your tableau, and ways to buy multiple cards at once? Of course, you would be limited to using only 1 card from your tableau at a time. Unless that card has an ability that says you can then use another, or maybe 2 more.

All that to say... I think of Splendor as a deck builder. One where your entire deck just happens to be in your hand. And every card is Highway, though some are also Great Hall.

That sounds like a bad game.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:05 pm »

I don't quite agree that the nobles are a red herring. They can be a lot of the time, but sometimes they align very well with the gems needed for several level 2 and level 3 (most expensive) cards. These games are usually the ones where I lose to my dad.

I think nobles are mostly a trap when you neglect buying good point cards for their sake. Ideally, you get the nobles "en passant", but the tricky part is knowing how much you can afford to deviate towards them when they are not the ideal colours.

I've seen the Nobles be key to victory, and I've seen my dad get all three nobles and still lose with only 11 points to show for it.

Edit: this is for 2-player. I'm also intrigued by the "first to 12 points wins" idea. I've heard the online version of the game allows for playing up to 21, but I feel like it would make the game worse by letting too many games be decided on the luck of the draw for the level 3 cards.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:18:15 pm by markusin »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 04:22:20 pm »
+1

I find it surprising that you would call it very luck-driven. There is a certain (probably pretty big) degree of first player advantage for sure, but after that it's just a very high-skill, low-luck game in my experience.

It's certainly no Candy Land, and there are plenty of games out there with even more luck.

But sometimes you have a plan and possibly a new card comes up that bootstraps you or gives an opponent the edge. That's not insignificant.

Granted, in a two-player game, you can greatly control the luck.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 05:45:04 pm »

It's certainly no Candy Land, and there are plenty of games out there with even more luck.

But sometimes you have a plan and possibly a new card comes up that bootstraps you or gives an opponent the edge. That's not insignificant.

Granted, in a two-player game, you can greatly control the luck.

I still don't really see the new card coming up and giving an opponent the edge thing. Like, if I have gems, I have them for a reason and I'd much rather use them for that reason than make a sudden change of plans because of a new card that was just revealed. No card is that much more amazing than any other card that's worth getting at all. I guess if you haven't committed to a strategy (i.e. it's turn 1), you might want to reserve something that just got revealed before anyone else gets a chance, but that just kind of makes up for the fact that the players who went before you got to reserve something that was there to begin with before you got a chance.

In my experience, the biggest luck element aside from the player order is when you reserve a random card just for the gold chip, you might get something that'll clog your hand for the rest of the game, you might get something that you can get rid of pretty conveniently, or you might get something that actually does something useful after you've played it. That's a pretty big deal, but it's a rare situation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 05:48:28 pm »

It sounds like your play style quite is different from mine and others' I play with. And I don't know which is better.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:37 pm »

It sounds like your play style quite is different from mine and others' I play with. And I don't know which is better.

Well, there are ways to find out. On this online implementation (the cards have different color combinations than the official game so it's a bit confusing, but I think they just superficially swapped entire colors with one another without changing the functionality of the game — not sure though), I just won with 15 points, 6 cards and obviously 0 nobles on turn 23 against two CPUs, to give you some idea how good this is. We could also arrange a match there if you want.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 10:36:14 am »

Well, there are ways to find out. On this online implementation (the cards have different color combinations than the official game so it's a bit confusing, but I think they just superficially swapped entire colors with one another without changing the functionality of the game — not sure though), I just won with 15 points, 6 cards and obviously 0 nobles on turn 23 against two CPUs, to give you some idea how good this is. We could also arrange a match there if you want.

So I just played a 3 player against 2 computers.... I won with 15 points, 12 cards, 1 noble, on turn 26. So yours was faster, but not by a huge amount. Still seems weird to spend 17 turns just taking chips... how do you not constantly hit the 10 chip limit?

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.