Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Splendor  (Read 190 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1961
    • View Profile
Re: Splendor
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 11:09:59 am »

So I just played a 3 player against 2 computers.... I won with 15 points, 12 cards, 1 noble, on turn 26. So yours was faster, but not by a huge amount. Still seems weird to spend 17 turns just taking chips... how do you not constantly hit the 10 chip limit?

I find this fascinating, but I feel like maybe this portion of this thread should be separated into a new Splendor thread. I'm keen on talking about it, especially with the upcoming expansion.

I've seen strategies involving saving up for Tier 2 cards only. That makes me a little nervous because it's so easy for another player to block it and/or decide that he wants a different strategy and take your chips anyway. But as long as you have a Plan B to buy something before you are forced to exceed the 10-gem limit, then I think it's a fine option.

I love taking chips up to 9 and 10 though. Even if I can buy something, I'll take more chips as long as nobody else can buy the card I want. I'd rather put the pressure on the other players.
A man has no signature

markusin

• Cartographer
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +1643
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:05 am »

It sounds like your play style quite is different from mine and others' I play with. And I don't know which is better.

Well, there are ways to find out. On this online implementation (the cards have different color combinations than the official game so it's a bit confusing, but I think they just superficially swapped entire colors with one another without changing the functionality of the game not sure though), I just won with 15 points, 6 cards and obviously 0 nobles on turn 23 against two CPUs, to give you some idea how good this is. We could also arrange a match there if you want.

So I just played a 3 player against 2 computers.... I won with 15 points, 12 cards, 1 noble, on turn 26. So yours was faster, but not by a huge amount. Still seems weird to spend 17 turns just taking chips... how do you not constantly hit the 10 chip limit?

This comparison of strategies is intriguing. I should try this myself later.

My strategy seems to align closer to Gendo's. I can't imagine how Awaclus's strategy can play out in practice without reserving cards somehow being key to ensure the cards you want are not denied by opponent's.

The difference of a few turns sounds massive for Splendor though.

Edit: yeah, a separate subthread might be good if this keeps up.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (。 ω 。`)
  • Respect: +9031
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 12:09:30 pm »

I do constantly hit the 10 chip limit, but that's fine. It's better to return one or two (sometimes even three, but that's usually the point at which I realize I made some mistake earlier) chips than to waste a turn buying a card that I don't need.

My strategy seems to align closer to Gendo's. I can't imagine how Awaclus's strategy can play out in practice without reserving cards somehow being key to ensure the cards you want are not denied by opponent's.

Yeah, reserving cards is key. It's important that you have the cards reserved so that you don't spend turns preparing for something that ends up not being available after all, and you also need the gold chips to buy the expensive stuff. Generally I will reserve a card and the card that it ramps to before I start gaining chips to play the former.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.