Miscellaneous > Other Games

Splendor

(1/9) > >>

Loempiaverkoper:
Can I ask you guys how Splendor remains fun after just a couple of games?
Sure I haven't figured out optimal play, but I just feel like it's more of a time waster than an interesting challenge.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Loempiaverkoper on August 07, 2017, 07:15:13 am ---Can I ask you guys how Splendor remains fun after just a couple of games?
Sure I haven't figured out optimal play, but I just feel like it's more of a time waster than an interesting challenge.

--- End quote ---

It was fun for like 30-50 games for me. Then I accidentally came up with a house rule to reduce the number of points you need to win from 15 to 12 (i.e. I explained the rules from memory and got it confused with the win condition from some other game) and now it's fun again because that actually nerfs my usual strategy a lot but not too much. I bet if I everyone in my playgroup was better at the game though, it would work just fine with the real rules because then I would be forced to improve upon my strategy anyway, but for the time being this is nice for making it a little bit more of a challenge for myself.

There's just a lot of subtleties in the strategy and tactics of Splendor, and you can get a little advantage here, and another little advantage there and it all adds up and then you win. In that sense it's not a very "flashy" game I guess, but I think it's fun that way. I'm probably not taking into account half the stuff I should, and there's still a lot of things I consider all the time, like the usual tempo principles, identifying rare minerals, finding patterns from the cards and nobles so that I can build efficiently, weighing the costs of certain cards against their expected benefits, denying stuff from my opponents whether it's cards or gems, etc.

One thing that I really appreciate about it is that while many games that are for 2-4 players work wonderfully with just two players but an unskilled third player can ruin them for everyone else (especially true for Dominion), you can't seem to ruin Splendor for the other players no matter how much you suck at it. It's also a very easy game to learn rules-wise, and there's not all that much analysis paralysis unless you already know what you're doing. This is why it's actually my favorite game to suggest whenever we're about to play something and the 7-year-old niece wants to join.

markusin:

--- Quote from: Loempiaverkoper on August 07, 2017, 07:15:13 am ---Can I ask you guys how Splendor remains fun after just a couple of games?

--- End quote ---

I don't know, my dad is obsessed with Splendor, formerly big on Catan. We play mostly two player these days. I've won the majority of our games, but I feel my dad is improving considerably and I have to improve as well to maintain my dominance.

Also, I heard there is an expansion coming out for Splendor.

LastFootnote:

--- Quote from: markusin on August 07, 2017, 12:51:38 pm ---

--- End quote ---

I don't know, my dad is obsessed with Splendor, formerly big on Catan. We play mostly two player these days. I've won the majority of our games, but I feel my dad is improving considerably and I have to improve as well to maintain my dominance.

Also, I heard there is an expansion coming out for Splendor.

--- End quote ---

Splendor is barely a game, that's how I see it. The expansion you mention is actually four expansions in a box that you can mix and match. I'm hoping that some combination of them makes Splendor interesting.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: LastFootnote on August 07, 2017, 01:09:05 pm ---Splendor is barely a game, that's how I see it.

--- End quote ---

How is it barely a game?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version