Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Nocturne announced!  (Read 57590 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Dominion: Nocturne announced!
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »
+4

I feel like heirlooms, like shelters, won't affect starting hands on most boards but will instead do things later, such as self-trashing or giving bonuses that are useless before the first shuffle.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2017, 04:44:18 pm »
+18

The theme of Dominion is a veneer only slightly thicker than graphene.  Trying to say that these cards don't fit thematically is a bit silly.

Right. I mean, the range of eras represented by the cards is quite large. What cards best represent the two extreme ends of this range? Which is the most "primitive" card and which is the most "advanced?"

Dominate shows Vercingetorix laying his weapons down in front of Caesar, which happened 52 B.C. Be my guest to find the other extreme.

Catapults are attested from at least 400 BCE

I believe the other half of that pile dates back even further.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »
+12

The theme of Dominion is a veneer only slightly thicker than graphene.  Trying to say that these cards don't fit thematically is a bit silly.

Right. I mean, the range of eras represented by the cards is quite large. What cards best represent the two extreme ends of this range? Which is the most "primitive" card and which is the most "advanced?"

Dominate shows Vercingetorix laying his weapons down in front of Caesar, which happened 52 B.C. Be my guest to find the other extreme.

Catapults are attested from at least 400 BCE

I believe the other half of that pile dates back even further.

But this joke only dates back about 15 posts.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2017, 03:34:30 pm »

Dang it! I only noticed this now.

Hype!

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2017, 12:12:05 pm »

My prediction is that boons and hexes will be one shot actions. Boon will be something like a village or laboratory that also says "return this to the boon pile". Hex might just be "return this to the hex pile", maybe with a clause to prevent trashing it to be extra nasty.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »
+1

Dang it! I only noticed this now.

Hype!

I only noticed this a couple of days ago myself.

All aboard the hype train!!

HYPE!!!
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2017, 11:02:36 pm »

:) :) :)
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

TomAtrus

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:44 pm »
+1

I wonder if the concept of Day/Night might just simply refer to the new playable cards after the Buy phase. What I mean is that the normal Action/Buy phase is considered the Day, while those cards with the new type Night, can be played post-buy (while everyone should be sleeping?).

It might also be interesting for the Night cards to check everyone's hand (including the unplayed ones left in your hand) for Boon and Hex cards which would help or harm respectively. For instance, you play your Night card and you reveal your hand. It has a Boon which allows you to draw 3 cards and buy another card with any money you might have. The next opponent reveals their hand and reveals a Hex. They must take a Curse and discard 1 card.

Something like revealing what is normally hidden (other player's hands) and rewarding/punishing what is there seems like a fun new mechanic that works well with the theme.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »
+2

I have not been looking at the forum for a couple of months.  I was so happy to see the announcement of a new expansion.  Fortunately, I just changed my storage to allow for the possibility that "some day" there might be another expansion.  What I had was filled comfortably, but I no longer had the room to set up my next deck for playing ahead of time.  (I just shuffle the randomizers and then start going through them 10 at a time [unless bane]).  When I put the cards away from a game, I use the next 10 randomizers to set up the deck for our next play along with whatever other cards (ruins, spoils, etc.) are needed.  That way I can quickly pull out the cards when we want to play and we can get started without much wait.

I was afraid that 10 expansions might have stretched the limits, though I was completely open to new ideas if DXV was.  So I am glad I decided to prepare for the possibility.  I am ecstatic that we are getting a new expansion so soon.  Thank you, Donald!

As I read through all of your ideas on Night cards, Heirlooms, etc., I had this image in my mind of Donald X sitting there and reading these posts and laughing at our speculations.  It seems with every expansion there are lots of suggestions on what the new things are, but when previews arrive, we are blown away by what he has done that doesn't even fit what we had been conceiving.  Of course, there is probably at least one suggestion in this thread that is pretty close, but which one?  I have to admit, it's very good of us to provide Donald with some amusement.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2017, 10:40:41 pm »
+4

One thing is for sure: Fairgrounds and any other card that likes variety just keeps getting better and better.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2017, 10:56:36 pm »

One thing is for sure: Fairgrounds and any other card that likes variety just keeps getting better and better.

True that.

It'd be nice if there was at least one card in Nocturne that really buffed Feodum.
Not that Feodum needed a buff, but more because Feodum is my favorite alt-vp card in the game  :P
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2017, 12:07:07 am »
+1

while those cards with the new type Night, can be played post-buy (while everyone should be sleeping?).

Why not just call them Mafia cards?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2017, 12:19:41 am »

It'd be nice if there was at least one card in Nocturne that really buffed Feodum.
As the flavour text for the original game said, "In all directions lie fiefs, freeholds, and feodums."

We eventually got Feodum; maybe it's time for Nocturne to contain Freehold?

(And actually, if we never got Fief because it sounded a lot like Thief, maybe that's coming too, now Thief has been retired.)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2017, 12:21:32 am »

I really hope we get s cool throne variant in this expansion. Dominion can always use more throne variants

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:47 am »
+3

As the flavour text for the original game said, "In all directions lie fiefs, freeholds, and feodums."

We eventually got Feodum; maybe it's time for Nocturne to contain Freehold?

This isn't about Nocturne, but in my original proof-of-concept for the Castles pile, they were instead called "Freeholds". The idea spun off from the Power Grid promo idea, so obviously it had to be green and start with 'F'.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2017, 07:35:10 am »

I hope this doesn't happen, I hate Fairgrounds.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2017, 08:19:47 am »
+6

I hope this doesn't happen, I hate Fairgrounds.

Another thing is for sure: Fairgrounds will appear less and less.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2017, 12:38:32 pm »

I really hope we get s cool throne variant in this expansion. Dominion can always use more throne variants
Am I missing something, or is there no generic name in general use for "things like Throne Room" in the same way we talk about "villages"?

In turn, that means I'm not managing to find a comprehensive list of them on the wiki. Um... Throne Room, King's Court, Procession, Disciple, Royal Carriage, Prince?

Where's left to go? ISTR Donald contemplated and rejected a Duration version: choose a card, play it this turn and next. Do-four-times would be clearly overpowered.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2017, 12:44:55 pm »

Am I missing something, or is there no generic name in general use for "things like Throne Room" in the same way we talk about "villages"?

In turn, that means I'm not managing to find a comprehensive list of them on the wiki. Um... Throne Room, King's Court, Procession, Disciple, Royal Carriage, Prince?

Where's left to go? ISTR Donald contemplated and rejected a Duration version: choose a card, play it this turn and next. Do-four-times would be clearly overpowered.

Prince isn't usually considered a throne room variant. Crown from Empires is another one.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2017, 01:20:16 pm »
+1

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Throne_room_variant
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2017, 06:11:53 pm »

Ah yes, Crown and Counterfeit. I knew I was overlooking some!

Many entries in the wiki begin with something like "Chapel is a trasher...". The entry on Throne Room variants would be easier to find if entries began "King's Court is a Throne Room variant...".

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »

*yawn* I've just been having a nice long nap ... hope I haven't missed anything important ...

... ooooh! A new expansion!

Here's my guess:
- there is a single mat that on one side says "day" and the other side "night"
- a number of kingdom cards in the new set flip the day/night mat when they are played
- these kingdom cards have two sets of effects. The text above the line is what happens if the cards are played during the day time. Below the line is the cards effect at night.
- cards that have weak day time effects and strong night effects will come to be known as "werewolves" (unless there is actually a werewolf card)
- cards that have strong day time effects will be known as "chihuahuas"

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2017, 07:41:36 pm »
+1

My first thought was Navigator, which features a sextant. I think that puts it somewhere in the late 17th or early 18th century.

Rebuild looks very modern to me.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2017, 08:04:02 pm »

Ah yes, Crown and Counterfeit. I knew I was overlooking some!

Many entries in the wiki begin with something like "Chapel is a trasher...". The entry on Throne Room variants would be easier to find if entries began "King's Court is a Throne Room variant...".

Some of them do.  It's also listed in the "card categories" navbox.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:51 pm »

What's the card categories navbox?

If you mean the "Categories:" section at the bottom of each page, then I can't see "Throne Room variant" in the list for, say, King's Court or Throne Room itself. Or should I be looking at something different?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.