Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Nocturne announced!  (Read 57591 times)

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Nocturne announced!
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 06:34:36 pm »
+4

Wild guess for Hexes. We already have Curse and Ruins and Donald had previously cut Confusion for being redundant. Assuming it is another negative card that goes in your deck (which isn't even certain), it has to hurt you in a unique way which is tricky because we already have negative VP and weak actions, and just another dead card would be redundant at this point. My guess is it's like a curse but you can play it for some negative effect (like discard a card, or -1$) and then trash it to get rid of it.

I guess it could also be similar to an event, like a status that you have on you that has rules to remove, although this seems like it would be too close to the tokens from Adventures.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 06:36:43 pm »
+3

Wild guess for Hexes. We already have Curse and Ruins and Donald had previously cut Confusion for being redundant. Assuming it is another negative card that goes in your deck (which isn't even certain), it has to hurt you in a unique way which is tricky because we already have negative VP and weak actions, and just another dead card would be redundant at this point. My guess is it's like a curse but you can play it for some negative effect (like discard a card, or -1$) and then trash it to get rid of it.

I guess it could also be similar to an event, like a status that you have on you that has rules to remove, although this seems like it would be too close to the tokens from Adventures.

Could Hexes be negative victory point tokens?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 07:13:51 pm »
+2

Hexes could be...
Cards that function like curses
Cards that replace curses
Tokens
Card-shaped thingies
Token-shaped thingies
Cards that replace ruins
Player mats
Magic spells
Pieces for a tile-placing subgame
Players
DXV-shaped thingies
Blue dogs

Oh god I hope the chihuahua art uses blue lighting.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 07:57:03 pm »

Ever since I read that there is a new expansion coming out I've been all tingly....I can't wait!  I'm afraid I'm not paying very much attention to my job right now.....haha

Maybe there will be more events and boons could make the events cost less, since nothing else so far does that.  Although that only works if events are in the game. 

Maybe boons could say something like "while this is in your hand, you may always discard two cards to draw a card" or other such things

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »
+2

Anyone has any idea where that info came from (copied from BGG's Dominion Nocturne entry):

"Dominion: Nocturne is the 11th expansion to Dominion. It has 500 cards, with 33 new Kingdom cards. There are Night cards, which are played after the Buy phase; Heirlooms that replace starting Coppers; Fate and Doom cards that give out Boons and Hexes; and a variety of extra cards that other cards can provide."

I know Jay said it's 500 cards, but what about the rest?
Jay sent that paragraph to BGG so they could make the Nocturne entry. It's the usual paragraph that goes with the flavor paragraph on the box and on store websites and things.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 08:41:12 pm »
+9

If it wouldn't be rude for me to ask, when will sneak peeks be here?  ;)
Previews will be the Monday that's a week before the release date plus a few days as necessary. Teasers will be uh shortly before that.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 10:00:54 pm »

I'm assuming Dominion Nocturne will be available on ShuffleIT whenever it's released here in the states?

Also stoked about this. I'm seconding the idea that there will probably be another traveler line or two, very curious as to what heirlooms are. And another 500 card set? I'm impressed.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:36 pm »

I'm assuming Dominion Nocturne will be available on ShuffleIT whenever it's released here in the states?

I hope so, I think it's in their contract.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:49 pm »
+13

theory: this set will contain at least one method of administering curses

If you only wanted to tell that to theory, you could have just PM'd him.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 10:35:49 pm »
+3

theory: this set will contain at least one method of administering curses

If you only wanted to tell that to theory, you could have just PM'd him.

Wow. I actually thought that's what schadd originally meant. I was all, how would theory even know what's in this set?

Capitalization. It matters.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22:57 am »
+4

If so, that would mean we had Hexes that weren't hexagonal and hexagonal debt tokens that weren't Hexes.

At that stage, Nocturne would be in the same doghouse, so far as I'm concerned, as games which have square round markers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:35:55 am by crj »

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2017, 12:33:29 am »
+1

Here's a wild speculative idea. The text says "Night cards, which are played after the Buy phase". What if we take that literally, and there's no choice: if you have a Night card in your hand after your Buy phase, you must play it?

Cards you have to play whether you want to or not would open up a whole bunch of novel possibilities. There could also be Action-Night cards which make bad things happen if you don't play them in your Action phase. Not a card to draw dead, as it were!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 12:35:07 am »
+1

Oh man, how long ago were "Something to replace starting coppers" originally posted in the fan cards thread?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2017, 12:47:44 am »
+1

What if we take that literally, and there's no choice: if you have a Night card in your hand after your Buy phase, you must play it?
Such cards would require different backs.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2017, 12:56:27 am »
+2

Or honesty.
Or a requirement to reveal your hand during Cleanup if any Nights are being used.

Giving them different backs would also work, though. It's not an option I'd considered, but it's kinda cool in its own way. Stash revisited!

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2017, 01:37:23 am »

Or honesty.
Or a requirement to reveal your hand during Cleanup if any Nights are being used.

Giving them different backs would also work, though. It's not an option I'd considered, but it's kinda cool in its own way. Stash revisited!
"Honesty" is the only option among the three that is not viable. Dominion is a fairly algorithmic game, it doesn't assume away cheating but makes it impossible via its rules.
I agree that the second option, revealing your hand to show that you have no Night cards, à la the wording of cards like Cutpurse, would be a more cleaner option that differently coloured backs as this runs into the issue of card information in the draw pile being potentially revealed without any deck inspection going on.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2017, 02:40:07 am »

That along with the gloomy hex atmosphere makes me wonder if this is a sort of sequel to dark ages in the way that Adventures was to Seaside and Empires is to Prosperity.
I could imagine it as a fixed set of Alchemy: Potions made the game too slow, but you want to have some card that are running outside of the regular coin economy, so players can pursue different progress tracks. The night mechanics opens this path without the problems of a new currency. 

My guess is that the night mechanic works similar to Outpost or Mission: After this turn, take another turn, where you can only play night cards. Night action cards would then allow you to curse your opponent, play remaining dead terminals, gain other (night) cards, do funky night stuff, etc.

Hmm, thinking of it... That could be quite some words on the cards. Maybe it is far more simple: It could work like an automatic Journey token. During setup you place the day / night token on its day side , then before the start of your turn you flip it. During daytime the day effects on cards are in play (i.e. Citizen / Werewolf -> Citizen: +1 Card +1 Action). Then night falls and the night effect of the card becomes active (i.e. Citizen / Werewolf -> Werewolf: Opponents discard to 3, +3 Cards).

Anyway, I bet there will we a card that on setup requires you to start at night instead of day.

EDIT: I overlooked the 'which are played after the Buy phase' in the short description from Jay. So I guess the night token is out.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:26:45 am by BBL »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 03:38:08 am »
+6

Handing out one of those to your opponent is the exact same as +1.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 06:35:31 am »

Oh man, how long ago were "Something to replace starting coppers" originally posted in the fan cards thread?

Quite a long time ago, under the name of "Trinkets" by NoMoreFun. Possibly there were other attempts. To be honest, if I had been asked to guess a fan-made mechanic that was in the next expansion, I wouldn't necessarily have gone with replacing Coppers. Then again, I don't know where that went with Nocturne.

I like the expansion's theme, btw.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 06:42:53 am »
+1

Depends. If you have something like "Take a curse token", you can make it "Each other player gets +1VP". But if you have an attack like "Each other player gains a Curse token", you can't just do "+1 VP". Theoretically, some players can deflect the attack with e.g. Moat. Therefore, you have to go with "For each other player, every player but them takes 1 VP". And that's pretty awful. Not that I think Curse tokens are really needed or this was such a great novel attack, but either way this is where they'd come in handy.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 06:48:52 am »

Quite a long time ago, under the name of "Trinkets" by NoMoreFun. Possibly there were other attempts. To be honest, if I had been asked to guess a fan-made mechanic that was in the next expansion, I wouldn't necessarily have gone with replacing Coppers. Then again, I don't know where that went with Nocturne.

Your last suggestion in the mentioned thread fits with the name 'heirloom', as 'Inheritance' is associated with estates. So maybe we start out with treasure / victory cards that are worth 1VP? This could open quite some interesting synergies with Patrol, Iron Monger, etc.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2017, 07:02:22 am »

Your last suggestion in the mentioned thread fits with the name 'heirloom', as 'Inheritance' is associated with estates. So maybe we start out with treasure / victory cards that are worth 1VP? This could open quite some interesting synergies with Patrol, Iron Monger, etc.

Well, my suggestion wasn't really all that great. It does show the main issue I had with Trinkets, though, which is the fact that they aren't Coppers. Today I'd just drop the under-the-line part and let it be so that some cards, like Moneylender, will be worse on Trinket boards, just as is the case with Baron and Shelters.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2017, 07:09:25 am »
+4

Depends. If you have something like "Take a curse token", you can make it "Each other player gets +1VP". But if you have an attack like "Each other player gains a Curse token", you can't just do "+1 VP". Theoretically, some players can deflect the attack with e.g. Moat. Therefore, you have to go with "For each other player, every player but them takes 1 VP". And that's pretty awful. Not that I think Curse tokens are really needed or this was such a great novel attack, but either way this is where they'd come in handy.

It doesn't really depend. If you do hand one of those out to your opponent, it's the exact same as you getting +1.

Also, introducing a new token just so your Monument variant can get screwed over by an opponent's Moat doesn't sound like a great idea.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2017, 07:25:47 am »
+4

It doesn't really depend. If you do hand one of those out to your opponent, it's the exact same as you getting +1.

Also, introducing a new token just so your Monument variant can get screwed over by an opponent's Moat doesn't sound like a great idea.

Convincing you that you are wrong is impossible and not worth my time. It suffices that everybody else can see it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2017, 07:59:49 am »
+2

Awaclus is correct. The only difference between +1 VP and each other player takes a curse token is that, assuming the latter is an attack, you can use reactions like Moat, or stop it with Lighthouse. That's such a minor difference, it's just not worth doing. Probably.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 21 queries.