Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Nocturne announced!  (Read 57593 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Nocturne announced!
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 12:51:12 pm »

I'm excited about Nights.  And "extra cards that other cards can provide" sounds very Dark Ages-y.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

m_knox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »

Are Heirlooms, Boons and Hexes cards or some kind of tokens?

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 01:00:00 pm »
+5

As I'm new to the dominion community, this is the first "new" expansion that I've been able to properly anticipate and I couldn't be more excited! I'm intrigued by the idea of starting coppers being replaced kind of like shelters replacing estates. That along with the gloomy hex atmosphere makes me wonder if this is a sort of sequel to dark ages in the way that Adventures was to Seaside and Empires is to Prosperity.
As for the hexes and boons, I'm very curious as to what that entails. It's got to be some sort of "bad thing" you can do to your opponent. I wonder if they are more similar to attacks or if they are actual junk cards like curses or ruins. I would love if they played off the concept of enchantress where you briefly change the way certain cards work for your opponent. Example, "Name an action card. On your opponents next turn, that card provides 1 card 1 action instead of the regular effect" or something along those lines.
But most importantly I'm excited for what certainly seems like new mechanics and figuring out what the best new strategies are and looking back and laughing at how wrong I was when Nocturne was first coming out.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 01:04:27 pm »

Are Heirlooms, Boons and Hexes cards or some kind of tokens?

The BGG entry says Heirlooms replace your starting Coppers.  No word on Boons and Hexes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »
+11

I'm excited about Nights.

I'm excited for the homophonic ambiguity!

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 01:17:40 pm »
+1

I'm calling it: There's gotta be an attack card that says "Gain a boon.  Each other player gains a hex."  Kind of like how Marauder handed out all the Dark Ages gimmicks?

I'm intrigued by this "Night card" idea, because I don't understand what design space that would open up.  Venture is kind of like a peddler that you play during the buy phase and that's not too exciting, but I expect Night cards are going for something different.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »
+2

Yeah, this definitely looks like Dark Ages part 2 in the best way possible. It's even got a dark theme!

And it's the first non-plural expansion since what, Cornucopia?

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 01:46:13 pm »
+1

I'm intrigued by this "Night card" idea, because I don't understand what design space that would open up.  Venture is kind of like a peddler that you play during the buy phase and that's not too exciting, but I expect Night cards are going for something different.

Perhaps Night cards will fill a design space similar to events like Donate, Mission, Scouting Party, Bonfire, Save, etc...

If the Heirlooms wind up being unique cards like Shelters and they replace all seven starting Coppers, I will be impressed.

There's no mention of Events or Landmarks in the teaser blurb, so maybe there won't be any.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
+1

Perhaps playing a Night card changes the game state for some limited period of time and certain cards do different things depending on the game state.

SmithySmithy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 01:57:45 pm »

Perhaps playing a Night card changes the game state for some limited period of time and certain cards do different things depending on the game state.
That's a fantastic idea, although it might require some effort to make sure it doesn't end up like the potion mechanic.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:55 pm »

That's a fantastic idea, although it might require some effort to make sure it doesn't end up like the potion mechanic.
I don't mind potions nearly as much as some, but still, I imagine that's a strict requirement for anything even resembling the potion mechanic.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 03:00:46 pm »

Awesome. I wasn't expecting anything until next year for the 10th anniversary. Well, after my hiatus of playing, now I should start again

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 03:02:31 pm »
+1

33 cards = 330
33 randomizers
7 Heirlooms x 6 = 42

That's 405 cards accounted for

Also, yes massive expansion!!!

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:30 pm »
+1

I'm expecting the hexes and boons to be a set of cards similar to ruins and spoils.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 03:15:23 pm »
+2

I'd guess a traveler line or two. Dark Ages introduced the concept of cards that upgraded to other cards, Adventures just made it its own mechanic with a keyword. If this is going to bring back Dark Ages themes, travelers make sense. And helps account for 500 cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 03:23:55 pm »

With this being horror themed, I hope we don't get a lot of attack cards, at least not Cultist/Knights-like please.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »

Perhaps Night cards will fill a design space similar to events like Donate, Mission, Scouting Party, Bonfire, Save, etc...
So, trashing, sifting, extra turns, doing stuff for your next turn.  Maybe also gaining and attacking.

But I'm not sure what purpose it serves to do these things after your buy phase.  If it's to set up your next turn, there are durations for that.  If it's to trash or attack, what difference does it make whether you do that before or after your buy phase?  Sifting, hmm.

Maybe the main thing is that the Night phase comes with a separate supply of +Actions.  So even if all the actions are terminal you can still play two per turn, provided one of them is a Night card?

Come to think of it, we don't know whether Night comes before or after cleanup, that makes a huge difference.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 04:52:17 pm »

So I've got another set to translate. Good news. Nocturne... hard to say in Japanese. How about Knockturn Alley?

From Wikipedia:

"A nocturne (from the French which meant nocturnal, from Latin nocturnus) is usually a musical composition that is inspired by, or evocative of, the night. Historically, nocturne is a very old term applied to night Offices and, since the Middle Ages, to divisions in the canonical hour of Matins."

EDIT: Google is telling me the Japanese translation is 夜行性.  Wikipedia says 夜想曲.

I'd be surprised if it isn't just ノクターン.

But 夜想曲 is the correct Japanese word.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 05:00:30 pm »
+1

If it wouldn't be rude for me to ask, when will sneak peeks be here?  ;)
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »

They usually happen a week or two before release.  So, sometime in October.

yahas

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: yahas
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 05:32:38 pm »
+3

I'd guess a traveler line or two. Dark Ages introduced the concept of cards that upgraded to other cards, Adventures just made it its own mechanic with a keyword. If this is going to bring back Dark Ages themes, travelers make sense. And helps account for 500 cards.

I'm expecting one of the following two variations:

1. A Crown-like (Night) action/treasure, which has different effects, depending on whether it's played in the Night phase or the regular Action/Buy phase.

2. A traveler variant/madman-mercenary type thing, where you buy a regular action card from the supply, and when you discard it from play you (can/have to) replace it for a night card (not from the supply). When you play the night card, it goes back to the pile it came from, and you gain an action card again from the supply. Maybe you set aside the action card to make sure you don't suffer a net loss, instead of returning it to the supply? Something like this would work great for a werewolf type thing.

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this mechanic.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 06:06:01 pm »
+4

But when will they be here if it would be rude for him to ask?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
+4

But when will they be here if it would be rude for him to ask?

In November, because Donald delayed the set a month out of spite because of teamlyle's rudeness.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 06:21:27 pm »

I'm expecting one of the following two variations:

1. A Crown-like (Night) action/treasure, which has different effects, depending on whether it's played in the Night phase or the regular Action/Buy phase.

2. A traveler variant/madman-mercenary type thing, where you buy a regular action card from the supply, and when you discard it from play you (can/have to) replace it for a night card (not from the supply). When you play the night card, it goes back to the pile it came from, and you gain an action card again from the supply. Maybe you set aside the action card to make sure you don't suffer a net loss, instead of returning it to the supply? Something like this would work great for a werewolf type thing.

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this mechanic.

These sound like good guesses. I like both options, but something like #2 is what I expect. It reminds me of the double-faced cards in Magic (which were used, among other things, to model werewolves).

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 06:24:20 pm »
+7

There will be a pile of trashing attack cards, where each card is slightly different.

This will be the Night pile.

I'll see myself out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.