Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ryder Cup?  (Read 8918 times)

Brathannes

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • BrettspielWelt
Ryder Cup?
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:20:02 am »

Hi Dudes,

as Dominion is coming out of the US and most of the strong players are living there I would love to see a kind of "Ryder Cup" showing up like in Golf.

What do U think?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Ryder Cup?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:25:20 am »

More detail for the non-golf followers?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:42 am »

Ryder Cup is basically USA vs Europe.

There's also a Presidents Cup which is USA vs The Rest minus Europe.

And I definitely disagree with most of the strong players living there.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:54 am »

Yeah I'm kinda mildly skeptical about that claim too, depending on what he means exactly, anyway.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:50:32 am »

Well, the DominionStrategy tournament was made up of about 2/3 American, 1/4 European, and 1/12 Asian.  I think GMT 1 and some combination of GMT -5, -6, and -8 would be a fair fight.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:37 am »
+1

Well, the DominionStrategy tournament was made up of about 2/3 American, 1/4 European, and 1/12 Asian

Incorrect. It was made up of at least 1/256 Australian.

Edit: Yes, I now realise you said about. Still, gotta represent right?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:43:46 am by Jimmmmm »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:41 am »

Well, the DominionStrategy tournament was made up of about 2/3 American, 1/4 European, and 1/12 Asian

I don't see how that's not 'about' what he said...

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:55:53 am »
+1

Edit: Yes, I now realise you said about. Still, gotta represent right?
Psh, I consider you all honorary Asians anyway ;)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:12:32 am »

NO! I'm not an Asian!  :P

(Not that I have a problem with them, I just don't happen to be one.)

Anyway, seeing as it's past 1am here (as well as in some parts of Asia), I'm going to bed.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:06 am »

I'd think it would need some sort of pairs option for it to be truely Ryder Cup, and the only suggestion I can think of for that would be to add VP from seperate games together (A1 20VP beats B1 19VP, and then B2 50VP beats A2 20VP, so team B wins overall)

Otherwise what about a World Cup style. Have players from once country play each other to find a country champion, then have country champions play each other to find World Champ, (possibly allow input from team members during game?)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:31:42 am »

Anyway, seeing as it's past 1am here (as well as in some parts of Asia), I'm going to bed.

Tell that to your football team!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

I'd think it would need some sort of pairs option for it to be truely Ryder Cup, and the only suggestion I can think of for that would be to add VP from seperate games together (A1 20VP beats B1 19VP, and then B2 50VP beats A2 20VP, so team B wins overall)

Otherwise what about a World Cup style. Have players from once country play each other to find a country champion, then have country champions play each other to find World Champ, (possibly allow input from team members during game?)
Wait while I become a citizen of Nauru please.  8)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:48 am »

Pfft, have some national pride to enter your own country's tournament to find the best there!

Just like I am doing for my home country of erm..Tuvalu?

Actually Im hoping people would rather enter under thier own country as a chance to represent them in the Finals, obviously it puts more popular countries like USA at a disadvantage originally because more people have to qualify, but in the end only one goes through, same as from other countries..

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »

I think there are 2 good options for a tournament like this:

1. USA(+Canada?) vs. The World - 50-100 players in each team, sorted by the rank at Iso, best of 7.

2. 4player teams of +- nations - big nations more teams, small nations can group up to make 1 team and then some kind of World Cup.

The first is much faster, the second much more interesting, but I would love to see any of these (or basicly any match/tournament based on countries) to actually happen...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »

50-100 players? How about just 10?

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 02:24:49 pm »

Well, the DS tournament was 256 people and it was full in 3 days. IsoDom 3 was posted just here on the forum and had over 32 contestants very quickly too. So I think 10 is really low...

But if it wasn't an "official" tournament, but "forum" tournament, then 20-30 seems more likely...but 10 is still too low...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 03:35:24 pm »

Well, the DS tournament was 256 people and it was full in 3 days. IsoDom 3 was posted just here on the forum and had over 32 contestants very quickly too. So I think 10 is really low...

But if it wasn't an "official" tournament, but "forum" tournament, then 20-30 seems more likely...but 10 is still too low...
I think you're missing the point. There are hundreds of people who'd really want to play in the real Ryder Cup, or the olympics, or what have you. Doesn't mean they get to.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 04:01:26 pm »

As someone that would miss the cut if there were just 12--Ryder Cup has 12 people on two teams--I think it is more appropriate to have a smaller number.  The idea of captains is cool, with the highest rated non-American being invited to captain and pick a team of non-Americans and the highest rated American being invited to captain and pick a team of Americans based on strategy and skill.

On another note I have been thinking some mid-major tournaments might be fun if people are interested. Cap them at ~ level 30. Kind of a NIT of Dominion compared to NCAA March Madness. That way there is no way possible I can lose to Rabid in the first round again, again.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »

You can't really do the pairs thing, but you can do fourball (4-player dominion), and maybe you can do something like 2 1v1s playing duplicate kingdoms and declaring a win only if the same side wins both...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »

Tell that to your football team!

I'm not sure I understand. My football team is the Hawthorn Hawks in the Australian Football League. :D

Brathannes

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • BrettspielWelt
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:27 am »

Thx for the great response!

Yeah, I think 12 vs. 12 like in Golf it should be in the end. Also some "4-balls" are thinkable. Why such an event could still be interesting for a larger group is the same reason it is in rl like in Golf. U can do a cut via a full year ranking or something like this.

What would be really great is a real life event. Is it possbile to play such an event at "Spiel" in Essen or maybe at any con in the US? Would player travel or is this unthinkable?

Let me know :)

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:23 am »

I think generally speaking you should choose a format that best fits Dominion rather than trying to find the closest approximation to the format of the real Ryder Cup.  It will make the tournament more enjoyable in the long run.

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 04:13:59 am »

I think you're missing the point. There are hundreds of people who'd really want to play in the real Ryder Cup, or the olympics, or what have you. Doesn't mean they get to.

OIC...In that case I think 10 is too much  ;D 10 on both side is 20 people playing and like 80 (maybe) people watching. I think then the 5 (odd is better than even - we won't need a tiebreaker) top players is better...but maybe I have a different taste  :)

What would be really great is a real life event. Is it possbile to play such an event at "Spiel" in Essen or maybe at any con in the US? Would player travel or is this unthinkable?

I think the main priority for IRL competitive Dominion should be a well-organized World Championship...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 11:59:42 am »

1. USA(+Canada?) vs. The World - 50-100 players in each team, sorted by the rank at Iso, best of 7.

2. 4player teams of +- nations - big nations more teams, small nations can group up to make 1 team and then some kind of World Cup.
As a canadian I would rather play with the world than the states, but I'd rather play with canadians than the world. So I would prefer option 2 but if we end up doing option 1 please don't call us american. No offense intended obvs.

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 02:41:01 pm »

As a canadian I would rather play with the world than the states, but I'd rather play with canadians than the world. So I would prefer option 2 but if we end up doing option 1 please don't call us american. No offense intended obvs.

Oh, that wasn't how I meant it. I would just like the teams to be about the same strenght and I am not sure if USA isn't too weak against the whole world...

I would too prefer the second option...mainly because Czech Republic would have a really strong team :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.