Dominion > Simulation

Confusion over setting Kingdoms

(1/2) > >>

joejoe22802:
Hey everyone,

Clearly, I'm super fresh here but I would love to start contributing to the simulators. First that I noticed immediately is that it seems that both Geronimoo and Dominate seem to just run the game with the strategies without a section for setting the deck?

Do they both just include the cards that are in the strategies and then go ahead with random other cards?

What considerations do you all take when considering the external validity of the results?

Also sorry if this is all wrong, I just wanted to post this so I could get to it ASAP. I'll go ahead and do more reading now as well.

Cheers
joejoe

Mic Qsenoch:
My understanding is that there is no actual kingdom. The only included cards are those specified in the buy rules.

I don't really consider the results of the sims very useful, and often find them very misleading. They can give an accurate result for a simple case with simple cards (i.e. big money + 1 Kingdom card), but those cases are unlikely to be relevant in a real game.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Mic Qsenoch on July 21, 2017, 07:34:25 pm ---I don't really consider the results of the sims very useful, and often find them very misleading. They can give an accurate result for a simple case with simple cards (i.e. big money + 1 Kingdom card), but those cases are unlikely to be relevant in a real game.

--- End quote ---

This is true. I think that the simulation results alone don't really tell you anything, but sometimes you might be able to use your own thinking alongside the sim results to get better insight into something specific. For example, you might simulate some decision for BM, and when you get the results, you can ask yourself why it gives you that result and whether or not those reasons are also relevant for engines. If the reason why you're getting that result is that the sim plays against another sim which also plays a big money strategy, then it's probably not applicable, but if it's because it boosts your economy in a more card-efficient way or whatever, then it might be.

schadd:
i think the most compelling result i ever got from a sim was that ironworks/chapel/cheap engine pieces/vineyards beats draw bm exactly 100% of the time

liopoil:
Well, I think the reason that the simulations aren't very useful is at least partially because there is no actual kingdom. Joejoe probably realizes that a good simulator would need to take more things into account and so is surprised that they don't have a kingdom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version